View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Not that I thought Christian Michael was all world or anything, but.....

Gore. Turbin. Mack.

Those three are at the top of our RB depth chart. Then....who?

Gore is 835 years old. You have to assume that his work load has to decrease or else the injury bug will bite this year. Neither may happen, he is an ironman, but the coaching staff has to assume that he cannot carry the full load this year.

That leaves Turbin and Mack as the primary backups. But it would be foolish to carry less than 4 RBs on your 53 man roster in case of injury to either one of them.

Who is # 4 ?

I saw little out of Josh Ferguson last season that makes me think he is the guy. Rookie Dalton Crossan? 3rd year Troymaine Pope? Those are the other RBs on the roster.

Michael has 254 NFL rushing attempts with a career 4.3 ypc average. Not all-world but not terrible.

What did you want out of your RB4 ?

"wasted/pointless signing"? Really? Sure, he got hurt but if feels like you are equating this signing the same as the Trent Richardson trade. We swung, missed due to injury and lost NOTHING in the deal. None of the contract websites mention a signing bonus so nothing was paid to him. Perhaps we paid him an injury settlement but that does not come out of the cap. Nothing was lost.

"Ballard gets a pass....." On what? Signing a low level player who got injured?

Obviously, you want to be mad about something on the team. I got a few other choices for you that are much more important than the signing of RB4 Christian Michael.

#1 Be mad that the Colts are still sitting on nearly $20m in free cap space of which about $16m could have been used to sign more veteran free agents. We don't really need it for the future since our cap space is well managed (especially after dumping guys like D'Q and Art Jones) so why not spend it?

#2 Be mad that Gerald Hodges, MLB for SF, who recorded 80 tackles in 12 starts and has pass coverage skills went unsigned for most of free agency and ended up on a 1-year contract with BUF for $750k. Better choice, IMO, for a veteran presence than either Spence or Bostic.

#3 Be mad that we stood pat (at starter level talent) on the O-Line when our star QB is still laid up from having surgery. No veteran free agents signed other than Schwenke whom will be depth for the interior and no high round rookies. It might work out alright because I like the guys we got but another stud to hold down RG or RT would have been appreciated.

Anyway. You can choose to be mad about whatever you want but I think there are better choices than RB4.

Cheers,
I didn't get the complaining on this one, either. Maybe some here think Gore can play until he's 50 and like Turbin. I'm not them. Gore is overdue to break down and Turbin is a less than ideal backup. I do like Mack, think he has a great future with the team and maybe starter potential, but you have to have something behind him, and a tough runner like Michael was, IMO, a pretty good solution. Unfortunately, he got hurt, and now I guess we'll see if Pope can do the job.

That said, I'm really only angry about Hodges from the points you listed above. The unused cap space rolls over into the following season (which will be useful at some point down the line), and if you want an OL to become an elite unit, you need to get a group and get them to gel. There is no reason to let a MLB who was superior in age, talent, and production to anything the Colts had on the roster to go to Buffalo for $750K when sitting on $20M in cap room, though. Though I guess maybe they're confident in getting the more Donnie Edwards-esque version of Anthony Walker?