View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
The teams that moved on from Rosen and Kizer coincidentally had the number one pick in the following draft. I’m not sure how the situations are comparable when you keep saying the Colts are likely to be better next year. The issue with your suggestion isn’t taking a project QB (although it’s not my preference) it’s in the idea they could / should just move on after a year. Are there circumstances that could lead to that (like getting the number one pick)? Sure. But if they are making the pick with the idea of doing anything less than putting their full support behind the guy and giving him a few years to develop then it’s a wasted pick. If the guy is so damn bad that without really seeing the field the team decides to move on after one year, what more can you say except it’s a bad pick? You want to waste a 5th - 7th? Fine. But wtf is the point if you are going to ditch the guy after a year? It just makes no sense. It’s a move to simply say you did something.
Well, then I'll ask you a practical question to put your statements to the test. What franchise QBs have take more than a year to show promise after being picked high in the draft? Kurt Warner doesn't count, he was undrafted and cut in training camp. Brett Favre? Not really true, he was a 2nd rounder that was able to be traded for a 1st rounder the next year.

I haven't done a comprehensive survey, and maybe you can think of a few, but I think its fair to say that the franchise QBs usually flash early. I can think of several - Rodgers, Mahomes, Jackson for instance. Even Tom Brady, a 6th round afterthought, was installed as the starting QB two games into his second season.

In short, I think we'd know in a year if we have something special. And, by the way, I never said one year was all we'd give a developmental QB, just that I think in a year we'd have a much better idea of what we have. And if it looks like it's going nowhere, then by all means cut bait.