View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
You're reading all of this based solely on the fact that its a one year deal? How do you know it was the Colts that proposed the deal? Maybe Funchess wanted a year away from the Panthers to show what he's capable of. Your argument on this was better with Grant. This is the first day of possible negotiations, after all, so its not like Funchess was floundering on the free agent market without a destination and had to accept the Colts proposal. I find it hard to believe that Ballard would sign a guy for $10-13M as a placeholder.
I absolutely believe Funches wants to prove his worth. That’s kinda my point.

Why wouldn’t he sign a guy to a one year incentive laden contract? He has to spend some money and this allows him to keep all that flexibility for next year. And he can wait on Cain, a rookie, or both.

There is nothing about the signing that says it’s a long term solution. Ballard constantly says he wants to build thru the draft. This fits perfectly with that. Could he be a long term solution? Possibly. But it requires him performing at a level that shows him as viable solution, but not so good that he gets priced out of the Colts range. That’s a pretty narrow window IMO. It’s way more likely that he either doesn’t perform well enough or he performs too well. In which case next year several of you will be asking who can blame Ballard for not giving crazy money to a WR after only one good year when he’s given way to much money by Washington or Oakland or Buffalo or the Jets.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (03-11-2019)