View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I don't follow contracts much, but top FA players who have worked out for their new teams seem rare. Brees and Manning worked out well. Freeney had some good years elsewhere, but for less money. Randy Moss worked out well for the Cheats. Incognito worked out, too. I can't think of any others. Maybe someone else can.
The more you pay for any player, the less likely that player is to be a "value". J.J. Watt, for example, is not a "bargain" as one of the highest paid players in the NFL. But he is still productive and worth his contract.

Sadly, for FA mega deals that have worked out, at least recently, the Jaguars are a good example. A good chunk of their defense was either traded for and extended or signed as UFAs (Calais Campbell, Malik Jackson, Marcell Dareus, A.J. Bouye, Tashaun Gipson, Barry Church), and that defense was dominant last year.

That said, I think the best way to approach free agency in a typical year is essentially how Ballard approached it this year. Identify guys that your scouts like that have for one reason or another not worked out with their original team and are potential "buy low" candidates (Ebron) and otherwise plug holes with stopgaps (Slauson, Grant, Autry). As Chaka mentioned, I liked John Brown as a buy low type of player, and since this wasn't a typical year for the Colts in terms of cap space, I thought/hoped they could attract some of the bigger names.