View Single Post
Old 09-17-2023, 09:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,416 Posts
Default Colts QB Anthony Richardson self-reported concussion symptoms that led to his removal

Colts QB Anthony Richardson self-reported concussion symptoms that led to his removal

Quote:

Colts QB Anthony Richardson self-reported concussion symptoms that led to his removal
Joel A. Erickson
Indianapolis Star

HOUSTON — Rookie Colts quarterback Anthony Richardson reported the symptoms that led to the discovery of the concussion that knocked him out of Sunday’s win over the Texans.

The blow that inflicted the injury happened two series earlier.

Richardson was racing toward the end zone for his second touchdown of the game, took a blow from Houston safety M.J. Stewart and fell backwards, his head hitting the turf, then popped up into his celebration. At the time, Richardson did not give off any indication of an injury, and he stayed in the game for two more series before reporting the symptoms.

“I think it happened on the second touchdown,” Indianapolis head coach Shane Steichen said. “And then he self-reported it.”

Insider:Colts lose QB Anthony Richardson but get Shane Steichen his first win

More:What are the steps for Anthony Richardson (concussion) to return to play?

Richardson’s self-reporting is not necessarily unusual.

Concussions are notorious for manifesting in a variety of symptoms that can also take time to develop — several Colts players in the past couple of seasons have not had symptoms until after the game ended.

Backup quarterback Gardner Minshew told reporters after the game that he didn’t notice anything different about Richardson.

“Not really,” Minshew said. “The trainers kind of came and told me what the situation was — they were checking him out, there’s a possibility (Richardson might leave the game). That was all that was really said.”

Richardson was not available to talk about the concussion after the game. Players in the NFL’s concussion protocol are not allowed to talk to the media until they are cleared to return to the field.

But it is clear the Colts quarterback did the right thing by reporting his symptoms.

“As competitive as everybody is, everybody wants to help their team win … it is hard, but I think he made the right decision, and he’s doing all the right things,” Minshew said.

Richardson has been forced to leave both of his two NFL starts early, leaving last week’s season-opening loss to the Jaguars with a bruised knee and ankle, then suffering the concussion this week.

A dynamic runner — Richardson carried three times for 35 yards, putting two of those carries in the end zone — the Colts rookie has already taken some hard hits at the end of runs.

“Obviously, you think about those things,” Steichen said. “Those things, it’s a fluke thing on that one. Hopefully, it doesn’t continue to happen.”

Richardson was on the sideline when the Colts headed into the locker room at halftime, and Minshew briefly talked to the player he’s been mentoring since the spring.

“I told him at halftime: ‘I’m going to hold it down for you,’” Minshew said. “He was fired up about the touchdown drives … generally good spirits.”

Richardson must pass through the five steps of the NFL’s concussion protocol — symptom-limited activity, aerobic exercise, football-specific exercise, non-contact practice and then full contact — before an independent neurologist clears him to return to the field.

There is no clear timetable for his return.

As difficult as it is to predict how a concussion will manifest, it’s just as difficult to predict how long a player’s recovery will take. A player can clear the protocol and be available the next week, but there are no guarantees.

According to the injury reports on Pro Football Reference, 62 players were listed with a concussion heading into a game last season: 8 played, 35 missed one game, 14 missed two and five missed three. The website does not list an injury when a player goes on injured reserve so it's likely some players missed additional time.

“When you talk about concussions, as a player, I think you know how you feel,” Colts running back Zack Moss said. “Him being able to protect himself, that’s the No. 1 thing in this game, being safe. … I’m sure he’ll be fine, and we’ll get him back soon.”