View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Very true.

Looking back at Manning's TD totals for his early career, they seem pedestrian now.

AT the time they were top of the league, on a faster pace than almost all QBs in history.

Between 2000-2010, manning threw for 40000 yards and over 300 TDs, I don't recall the exact numbers, but at the time it was basically the best decade ever by a QB in terms of those numbers. I remember looking it all up at the time and posting on it.

Now those would be good but not by any means spectacular numbers. I think Brees probably threw for 50000 yards, or close to it, over the past decade.

And really much of that was because of manning. I know the Bills did the hurry up in the early 90s, but Manning and what he did really changed the league and caused many teams to adopt the hurry up system as we see it commonly today. Even the Pats. Brady never did that shit before 2007 while they were winning their first three SBs. Manning had been doing it for years before the adopted the system
It was caused by Manning, but not in the way you're suggesting. Polian convinced the league that the offensive product was a better way to attract fans, pointing to the Colts as an example. That led to rule changes that hurt the ability to defend the pass. Then, having a healthy QB became the next point of emphasis, so the league adopted a lot of other rules to limit dangerous hits on QBs.