Thread: Luck news!
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 10:38 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
It can drastically affect the secondary ticket market. If ticket scalpers/agencies/etc can't sell their tickets, or if some people stop going, it affects the team's pocket books with concessions, apparel, and other game day sales. I saw one figure for 2013 where the Colts got $5.2 million from concessions.

It also may affect how much the advertisers pay during the game for commercials.
It isn't so much that, it's a problem with the overall fan base. Like it or not, the Colts (and Pacers) have a relatively weak fan base. If the teams aren't good, people won't pay much attention. Sure, there are some die-hard fans, but many of the people paying big money for the good seats are fair-weather. It's the reason that the roof is never open for a game at LOS. The fans would complain about being uncomfortable not having air-conditioning during the game. Irsay knows this from pre-Manning years of experience. It has improved since those days, but could pretty easily slide back. THAT is the main concern and the reason for the crap going on now.

I can say this because I'm from there and grew up with it. Hell, I stopped watching the Pacers (and NBA) after they lost to the Lakers in the Finals in 1999/2000. They will never win a title, so I stopped wasting my time. When I was in grade school, the Pacers would give free tickets to the schools. I attended many a game in Market Square Arena back in the Wayman Tisdale days for free. We'd get free tickets and my friend's parents would load us into the car and off we'd go.
/my longest post ever