View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 02:21 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,642 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Now that we're a few games in, anyone's opinion changing on the guy? You gotta admit they looked pretty good today - a completely changed defense: ultra aggressive, hungry, swarming to the ball (and yes, I know it's only one game, but still...)

Two of the top three free agents he signed this offseason (Ebron and Grant) playing major roles in the offense and look to be bargains. Jury admittedly still out on the third (Autry). Hunt, a free agent acquisition last year, was kept over several other seemingly more obvious choices this year, and now he's playing out of his mind. Yes, he signed Howard, but the cost was minimal and he jettisoned him as soon as it became apparent that it wasn't going to work out.

Early returns on the draft are also promising. The top two picks (Nelson and Leonard) have been everything we could have hoped for (and more, in the case of Leonard). Other draftees (Hines and Wilkins) have played significant roles. Lots of remaining potential in Turay, Lewis, and the others.

Several of Ballard's subtractions already appear to be validated. He cut Hankins and his $9 million salary, and Hankins resigns with the Raiders for only $2 million. Regardless of what you think about the guy's ability, the market has spoken and he was getting paid way too much. Also, Ballard cut Vontae over many people's objections, and now Vontae flames out mid-game with Buffalo.

Anybody willing to reconsider their opinion about this guy?
Ballard's 2018 offseason is doing very well so far. Ebron and Grant both look like excellent free agent pickups and 4 of the top 5 draft picks are making early contributions and look like they could be future starters, with two of those showing star potential. If Ballard can come away from the 2019 Draft with some promising DL talent, I'll be back on board with his methodology.