Old 10-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Through five games:

2002: 6 tackles, 2.0 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 2 QB Hits, 1 FF = Freeney

2018: 7 tackles, 2.0 sacks, 0 tackles for loss, 5 QB Hits, 0 FF = Turay

I am not saying that Turay is the next coming of Dwight Freeney.

I am also not saying that if DeMarcus Lawrence hits free agency that you don't throw a pot full of money at him (or to a lesser extent Frank Clark from SEA or Allen Bailey from KC).

I am saying that the Colts currently rank "Tied-3rd" with the Lions in the NFL with 17 sacks delivered only two behind the NFL leading Steelers with 19 and one behind the 2nd plack Bears with 18 sacks. It is a group effort.

Now, a HUGE difference between those first three defenses and us in the "defend the pass" game is completion percentages allowed:

PIT = 62.0% allowed
CHI = 64.2% allowed
DET = 63.8% allowed
IND = 72.1% allowed

In fact, we are the 4th worst in allowing the highest completion percentage against our defense inspite of the fact that we are 3rd in sacks.

To me, that screams that we need help in the back seven a WHOLE LOT more than we need help on the D-Line. Coverage of receivers is lacking if we are "getting home" a lot but yet they are completing 7 out of 10 pass attempts against us.

Walk Worthy,
Darius Leonard has 4 of those 17 sacks. Ideally in this defense his role is much less defined by his pass rush ability. Further, the best DL on the team this far is 31 year old Margus Hunt, who is having a sudden breakout career year. I also like Turay, but the 2019 draft class is brimming with DL talent in a year that the Colts have 3 top 50 picks. I'm a big believer in drafting at the intersection of BPA and need, so while DL might not be the biggest immediate need, I also don't see anyone on this DL who I would count on to be anything more than a rotational piece going forward as of now. Things could also change in the draft between now and then, but given the level of talent at DL in this draft class the way it currently sits and the talent the Colts currently have on the DL, I'd be surprised if the Colts didn't end up with at least 2 DL from their 3 likely top 50 draft picks.