View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 AM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
if a 1st round olineman falls to the 2nd or 3rd round, then they were never a 1st round olineman
Sorry, I suppose I misspoke.

Take Le'Raven Clark. His physical abilities were 1st round OT worthy; his pro day and combine stats were right in line with those of Ronnie Stanley, Jack Conklin or Laremy Tunsil all of whom were picked within the first 13 spots of the 2016 draft.

However, he had poor technique due to the "blur" offensive system they run at Texas Tech and was considered to need a year or two of work before he could perform at the same level that his physical abilities indicated he should be at.

There were a lot of pre-draft projections that were predicting that Clark would be drafted at the bottom of the 1st round or at the top of the 2nd round. NFL.com predicted 1st or 2nd round. CBSportsline predicted 1st round. Walter Football predicted 1st or 2nd round.

Was he a 1st round talent that fell? Or, in your world, a 3rd round talent because that is where he was picked?

If another Le'Raven Clark is available with our 2nd round pick (Ramcyzk is my guess of someone who could slide), I think that Ballard would have to think hard about selecting him. It is obvious that Philbin knows what he is doing in bringing young O-Linemen along.

Cheers,