View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 06:48 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
And the ability to run the ball effectively, which makes play action that much more of an influence. If defenders are looking in the backfield, Hilton can get over the top before they know it.
This is one of the key aspects that defined Peyton's game, first with Edge and then later with Addai. Both were effective runners who would burn defenses for positive gains when given the opportunity and if the defense did not account for them (or in Edge's case, even when they did account for him) they would kill you slowly.

Because of this, the play-action was SO effective because everyone on the defense would make that first step forward with the play fake and then be two steps behind getting back on coverage by which time Harrison (and later Wayne) were already well into their route.

You can do the same with the fake pump-fake bubble screen concept but then that takes receivers out of the pattern. However, set up 5 wide with Hilton on one side, Ebron in the slot to that side, Doyle/Rogers/Cain on the other side, fake the bubble screen to the strong side while both Hilton and Ebron are running down the field could be pretty effective. Both are fast as heck (for their positions) and could be over the defense pretty quickly.

I still cannot wrap my mind around an intelligent offensive game plan for the Colts. It has been a WHILE since we have seen one of those (along with the personnel to execute it).

Walk Worthy,