View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I remember Polian saying your never pass on a franchise qb or an elite pass rusher. The two most difficult things to find in football. If Chubb has a chance to be an elite pass rusher take him. Don't fool around with trading back unless you are absolutely sure you'll get who you want. No to Nelson, good guards appear to be available in free agency but guys that can put pressure on qbs never do (unless they have beaten the shit out of the women in their lives). I agree that there are tons of holes on this team. But you can only get elite pass rushers thru the draft and it is something we are desperate for.
There was an article a few years back, or probably more than a few by now, that pointed out that the key to the NFL is passing the ball and defending the pass. If you look at passer rating differential, its a high predictor of success in this league

And this is not just in this era, it goes back many years, even to the rush heavy days of the 70s.

Its always been true to some extent and just has become more true in the last decade : passing the ball and stopping the pass. ANd you can't stop the pass without pass rushers.

I actually think the Colts secondary has a chance to be solid next year. Not great, but good. But without a pass rush, defenders can't cover guys forever in this league. They eventually get open.

Plus with the upgraded DL that I thought performed very well last year, adding a pass rusher will made it harder to defend against the D.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-18-2018), VeveJones007 (01-18-2018)