View Single Post
Old 02-13-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I really hate the inconsistency in criticisms. One of the biggest issues with Grigson, besides just being a total asshole, was that he built a terrible offensive line that killed Andrew Luck, he couldn't draft for shit, and spent a ton of money of terrible over-priced free agents that came in with a mercenary mentality and no team culture.

And then Ballard comes in and says "we're gonna build the team from within with the draft, create a culture here, be selective in signing free agents who can be a part of that" and every says "fuck yea, that's the right way" and then all of a sudden every drops that and whines about "why won't he go all in on some of these big names??"
It is entirely possible to criticize both Grigson and a Ballard’s philosophy without being inconsistent. There is a pretty decent middle ground between the two. Grigson largely used free agency how I think you should - to fill some holes you can’t immediately fill in the draft. He wasn’t trying to “buy” a team, he filled weaknesses with mid level guys. He over paid them (as you are largely required to), but didn’t mortgage the future. He just couldn’t draft for shit and no system will work long term if you can’t draft. And he was a complete ass.

Ballard doesn’t make decisions based on what the team needs, he makes decisions based on “winning” the transaction with the idea he’ll eventually draft whatever the team needs anyway. The issue is you can never draft enough to adequately fill all the holes. Not to mention the team has yet to adequately fill the three most important positions for winning - QB, DE, and LT. So yes he’s been great drafting but he’s been in charge for awhile and the team still has many major holes and hasn’t won shit.

As far as locker room culture, I’m not sure Ballard has built all that great of one. You don’t have a winning culture if you don’t win, right? And I have serious doubts about this team’s commitment to winning considering how many “leaders” in the locker room were willing to throw the season away

I honestly like Ballard, but there is plenty of room to criticize his methods without being inconsistent with the criticisms of Grigson.

Last edited by rm1369; 02-13-2022 at 11:20 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (02-13-2022), JAFF (02-13-2022)