Thread: Gerald McCoy
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Nothing always works all the time. That's life. How did this team lose to Jax 6-0 last year? WTF. The offense stunk that day.

The NFL has morphed into a league with athletic QB's and play fast up and down the field. A large, slow D can't compete with speed. Speed never goes into a slump. A large slow D can't catch Pat Mahomes. And moving him off his spot doesn't seem to bother him, that guy can throw from any positon. So you need to go HIT him. And he's not the last of fast mobile QB's, he is the future. And does anyone have a power run system in the NFL other than Dallas?

Yeah, I'm keeping it simple, because I'm not a GM. I don't pretend to be one on the internet. And the Dungy D works because it is simple. Players don't have time to make decisions, so you give them less thinking and more doing. Defense is reacting, and then you get to the ball, all 11 guys. That's how you can play young guys with less experience.

And I believe if Ballard can draft a 310 lb DT who can run like Warren Sapp, he will take him. But those guys are rare. You he's not going to sign a guy 2 gap blocking sponge because that doesn't fit this D. They don't need Tony Sarigusa. They are looking for John Randle.
Speed most certainly does go into a slump--any playoff game ever played on a bad field would completely neutralize a bunch of lighter, faster players. That isn't as common with field turf and such but it always seems like there's one or two key games where the field conditions take away any speed advantage. I don't think world-class speed was going to solve KC in January.

Also, I think the people in this thread have a good grasp of the idea that Ted Washington and Tony Siragusa-type giants at DT are dinosaurs as far as this defense goes.