View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I completely disagree with this. Seeing how players take care of their bodies, study tape, etc is the kinds of things guys pickup from vets. Hilton learning tricks of the trade from Reggie is an example of veteran presence. Wilson’s attitude change after being mentored a little by Mitchell is an example of veteran presence. Guys can learn a lot from someone that’s “been there and done that.” I’d agree that a team needs some talent to get the most from it, but if your roster is so shit that there is no one capable of improving then the vets are probably your best players anyway.
I agree with this to a certain extent, but those who expect the veteran players to take younger players under their wing and groom them to eventually take the veteran player’s job is just counterintuitive to me. That’s not to say that there aren’t a few players who are just natural teachers, and are supportive and encouraging to younger players, but my operating assumption is that the vast majority of veteran players are highly competitive and mostly self-interested.

Look at Peyton Manning – a guy who had no reason to ever think his job was in jeopardy (until, of course, he got seriously injured), yet he insisted on playing every down in most games, even in blowouts. Sure, I suppose it would be valuable for a younger player to watch Manning prepare (though as I type this I can't think of any Manning backups who ever amounted to anything, so the value of this is debatable), but I wouldn't expect these guys to nurture the younger players.