View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Yeah, I hear you. Ultimately you have to play the cards you're dealt though. In this sense, Ballard is a victim of his own success, since he's otherwise built a quality roster. So even without a high-end QB I suspect we're going to perform well enough to always be drafting at the back end of the first round. Given this fact, he has three choices: (1) go the free agent/trade route, (2) take a flyer on a late first round QB and wait for him to develop, or (3) mortgage the future to trade up for a high first round QB pick.

The free agent/trade route seems the most logical to me in light of our current roster. We have the cap room to take on a large contract and someone like Wentz seems like a natural fit assuming Reich is on board. We'd have him locked up for four years, but we'd only be committed for two. In the meantime, the Colts can continue to work with Eason, perhaps elevating him to a backup, or if he's not working out take another mid-round lottery pick to develop. I just don't see the Colts going the draft route unless its in conjunction with the separate signing/acquiring of a quality veteran QB.
I absolutely agree with the description of “victim of his own success.” That’s basically the thought behind my small initial comment to this thread. It is not unusual for teams to get here and then falter. It becomes increasingly more difficult to find the guy after you are drafting late and then when guys start getting paid there is also less financial maneuverability. Personally I’d rather be in Jacksonville’s situation than the Colts long term. A franchise guy covers up a lot of sins. And I’d really love to see Ballard building around a franchise QB. I’m just concerned that won’t happen because the things that make Ballard successful are going to make it even tougher on him to acquire that guy, IMO. But we will see.