View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Here's my guess as to why Ballard hasn't followed your plan: Ballard believes there's a value in creating a team culture and identity before introducing big name/splashy free agents. He's said it multiple times, and I think he honestly believes it.

You can kind of see it happening on the defense - which is largely a bunch of young players which most people (including most here) had zero expectations for, and who are surprising everyone. That experience is going to create a team identity/pride that Ballard hopes and expects will spill over into future years. Introducing a big free agent (particularly at a skill position) draws lots of attention and creates expectations that can impact and distort performance. Adding one after the culture is created is less disruptive.

This is also why I don't think he'd ever consider trading for someone like Le'Veon Bell - the guy's personally is just too potentially disruptive. I'd be really surprised if he tries to sign him in the offseason too.
I think fans put more value in culture than teams, to be honest. There is definitely SOME value; don't get me wrong. But I see value in things like accountability (cutting Basham if he isn't doing shit), not anonymity. I realize I'm talking me vs Ballard and Ballard runs the team, but just think we tend to overvalue culture sometimes, or at least overvalue how teams view it.