View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I am torn on this. On the one hand, it would be nice to defy the odds and make the playoffs this year, having a chance to knock off a higher seed. They would also gain playoff experience. On the other hand, this team is not likely going to make much noise in the playoffs, so improved draft position would vastly improve our team for the future.

Like most, I feel that you always want to make the playoffs. Always! But do we really?
Without a doubt, yes.

1. playoff experience, especially if we can win the wildcard and get to the divisional
2. psychological benefit of making the playoffs in general
3. small sample size, but this 'regime' has shown an ability to find value in the draft
4. an extra second rounder from the Jets (negotiated last year)
5. An extra 4th rounder compensatory that we will get for Moncrief

And were already past the point in a way. If we go 2-2 on in the next 4, we:

1. miss the playoffs
2. pick about 16th or 17th

If we win out and make the playoffs, then go one and done, we will

1. get the aforementioned benefits of playoff experience
2. finish 12th and pick 21st

I am confident that with this 'regime' the difference between a 17th pick and a 21st pick is not that significant.

We have some flexibility also. If we want to trade up to draft higher in the first, we have an extra 2nd and an extra 4th to use as capital to trade up.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-05-2018), sherck (12-06-2018)