View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I don’t understand how masks got politicized. They don’t protect the user 100% that well, but they protect everyone else from the user. If everyone wears them then we bring transmission down. If something is telling you different then it is someone with an agenda. Wear a mask, protect your neighbor.

As for the fear mongering. Covid is now the third largest killer in the US now, and doesn’t seem to be stopping. If people don’t take it seriously it will not go away. People don’t have to freak out, just don’t minimize it either. You could say the left leaning news is talking too much Covid, but the right leaning news talks about protests 90% of the time. And I watch both. My sister lives in Portland, lives downtown works in the city, and she says she hasn’t even seen any of the protests. But watching the news you would think the city is burning down. I think we have a tendency to sensationalize issues more than they are in general. But I really don’t care about graffiti on public buildings as much when compared to a pandemic that could kill me.

People just need to listen to the medical advice from the experts, not the president or infowars or that one YouTube poster who also thinks the world is flat. Take it seriously, listen to advice and take precautions. And we can then end this sooner and get back to football.

Masks became politicized b/c the experts in the US (and by experts I mean Dr. Adams, Dr. Fauchi, etc.; not Trump) royally fucked up by initially telling us that masks wouldn't really help and in some cases (Dr. Adams) urged the population not to purchase them. Then a ~month into it they pulled a 180 and started telling everyone to wear them. There should have been enough data between Asian countries that handled the outbreak well (Japan, Taiwan) and European countries that didn't (Italy, France) for our experts to have known that wearing masks were a good idea.

With that being said, wearing a mask and keeping your distance from people outside your home are pretty easy asks (although I have yet to find a mask that doesn't fog up my glasses; fortunately I can get by pretty well without them), and we should all be following those recommendations/mandates until this is over with.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-13-2020)