View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I’m not sure I get the same thing as you do from that exchange. The parts you leave out are:

Me: “You’ve basically looked at draft choices as tools in the toolbox. That's how I kind of look at your thing: You’re not wedded to your draft picks.”

Snead: “Right. You should be my interpreter.”

That sounds like the opposite of what Ballard has been preaching. Yes Snead says they made th RG3 trade and built a core, but other than that he’s devaluing draft picks. “.......you have to really look at what historically draft picks bring you in reality over time...” I assume you are referencing the building the core. The trade down from 3, etc. I agree with that, but I’ve heard nothing from Ballard to indicate he thinks draft picks are over valued. Quite the opposite.
You make a good point.

I was focused on the "build through the draft, add free agent pieces to contend" part of the interview rather than the latter.

However, honestly, trading a draft pick for the "right" veteran in terms of what they will bring to the team and their cap hits does not really devalue the draft pick; it just changes how it is used.

I dont' see Ballard being big into trading picks but I do see him as someone who, when the time is right, will spend big on free agents whom he things are the "right" guy.

We will see. I think we will be a winning team inside of 3 years (in 2018, personally), and I think we will use the first part of free agency in the future when we are closer to contending.

But now? Yeah, I want holes filled and Ballard has a different plan than how I wanted it to be. I need to get over it.

Walk Worthy,