Thread: Kravitz on JMV
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
All you gotta do is look at the Rams if you want reason for optimism. I don't think anyone thought they had the talent to compete this year, even with the coaching changes. I think we have some good talent here and it will improve in 2018 - I still like Ballard's draft and think he'll have another good one.
We just need the right coaches and scheme to use the talent properly - and really a HUGE part of that right now is the offensive scheme. The blocking scheme, the route design, the timing, it's all wrong for the personnel we have. Even the runs they call for Mack are wrong half the time.

I agree. A sea change is possible in just one year.....and my aspiration is to compete/win the AFC south next year.....not SB. But I think that's only achievable if two conditions are met

1. Irsay steps back and lets Ballard pick his man
2. Ballard proves to be as good at talent assessment of coaching/ leadership as he seems to be of football talent. Those are obviously very different attributes and we don't really have evidence of that capability yet. The young Rams guy (forget his name) is evidence that you don't have to bias experience to succeed but there are a lot of first time coaches that can and do fail.

I think it's still likely that Irsay will want to make another play for Gruden/harbaugh as he did last year. If he does and succeeds landing his "big name" I think it may take a bit longer for the org to right itself because you have to work out the Irsay/Ballard/big name coach dynamic. That's a degree of org disruption that will take some time to work out even it it ultimately leads to big success.

I really don't think football talent is the biggest variable.....not saying we don't need another big infusion but based on what we've seen of Ballard so far makes me feel pretty good he will make more good choices in the draft/free agency.