View Single Post
Old 01-09-2024, 01:30 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
If they don't tag Pittman he may be gone. Say's he owes it to himself to test free agency.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/posts/mi...ynM-w0ZyTWyfr4
If they don't tag Pittman I'll start to question Ballard's GM ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Here's what I'd like to see us do in the offseason on top of re-signing our own (w/ MPJ being the highest priority followed by Grover, Moore, and Blackmon):

- Add a starting outside CB to go along w/ Brents. Keep Flowers and Jones as depth and push Baker to either the bottom of the depth chart or off the roster.

- Add at least 1 WR, if not 2. Would be good to bring in/draft someone to compete w/ Pierce, but at least bring in a couple of decent WRs for depth.

- Add more pass rush via the draft or FA.

- Add NT depth. Our run D really went to shit without Grover.

- Add at Safety. Cross showed why he still remains a project and Thomas took a step back this year. Would be great to bring in a starter, but if nothing else add some depth.

- IOL depth.

As for the draft I'd like to see us go w/ BPA at CB/WR/DE or maybe S if there's a special talent that falls in our lap with our 1st pick.
Honestly, the only part I'd disagree with there is WR. Once Pittman is re-signed, I don't think they need to add at WR unless an elite talent like Nabers falls to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Although, the thing for me is... well a couple of things...

For one, as I've said a bunch of times on these boards: I think sacks can be among the most misleading stats in football. Not that I think they're useless. I just think they require a lot of context.

Especially if we're looking at a single given year. We see guys all the time have an outlier year and then return to their own status quo. If I looked at the leaderboard last year, I'd see 3rd-rounder Alex Highsmith with 14.5 sacks. He came back to Earth this year and now 3/4 of his seasons of 2, 6, and 7 sacks.

But, anyway, to your point... Guys like Hendrickson and Crosby are 3rd/4th-rounders that are yearly problems from OC's. Those are the guys that worry you, just like the scary 1st-rounders. Even Chris Jones was a 2nd-rounder. So they can be found. But the odds are low even for 1st-rounders, so it's only less likely you find the next Hendrickson. But shit, even Hendrickson didn't blow up until year-4.

Just for shits... a quick count from the top 23 sack guys (the double digit guys)... I think I counted 14 1st-rounders, with 11 of those being top-15 (maybe top-13, can't remember) guys. Like two 2nd's, five 3rd/4th's, a 7th and an undrafted. For whatever that's worth.

When I look into it, I usually end up in the same place... these fuckers are hard to find.
Honestly, looking at the sack leaderboard, combined with Ballard's history of success at DE in free agency and the draft, led me to think signing Hunter might be the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
His defenses, even to this day, have always been built around individual game designs and negating your biggest weapon. He forced you as a staff to figure out how to win games with your B guys.

Gus Bradley does nothing of the sort. Same damn game plan regardless of the opposing QB and receiving corps on the opposing side of the ball. Since he has been here we have constantly been on here bitching about the stupid completion percentages over and over, and it never fucking changes no matter what the fucking lame ass QB name is opposite us. Over a long enough period of time- which he has had- the issue becomes the scheme and all the excuses about injuries, lack of effective DE's, etc... become just that excuses. Gus Bradley is like the antithesis of Steichen- no creativity and very fucking conservative. We need a change!
Easier to stop an offense when you know what their playcall is. Easier to know what your opponent's offense is calling if you have Ernie Adams analyzing tape and relaying the signals directly to Belicheat on gameday.