View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 08:51 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
It'd be nice to talk about free agency in the free agency thread, but here we are. Given the current list of free agents, the ones I'd like to retain are:

DE Yannick Ngakoue
LB E.J. Speed
LB Bobby Okereke
WR Parris Campbell
FS Rodney McLeod
K Chase McLaughlin

Ngakoue was the most consistent pass rush the Colts had last year and he always seems to find his way to Gus Bradley's defense. Every outlet I've seen has him signing a below market value contract for a pass rusher, so it makes sense to run it back with him on the (relative) cheap, say 2 years/$25 million as PFF suggested.

Given the team's current situation at LB, E.J. Speed is a must retain for me, given that he'll give you decent production from the LB position and doesn't have the name recognition or notoriety across the league to get a starter level contract elsewhere. With Leonard a complete question mark, and Zaire Franklin coming out of nowhere and likely commanding a big payday soon, getting Speed's solid production back on the cheap is a no brainer. Something in the $2-3 million per year range should get this done.

Speaking of the team's current situation at LB, Bobby Okereke is the most interesting of the Colts free agents, especially to other teams. Most Colts related media outlets seem to believe he'll walk in free agency for a starter contract elsewhere, something in the $10 million per year range seems about right. With the current contracts on the books, I don't think a contract like this for Okereke would be viable for the Colts to sign with him. That said, a pre-June 1 trade of Shaquille Leonard would meet the Colts a cap savings of about $7.8 million, and there's a certain head coach in Chicago that I am very sure would be interested in his services. Conveniently enough, the Bears happen to have an asset the Colts would be interested in as well, namely the #1 pick. Were Leonard included in that trade package, resigning Okereke to a starter level contract would be an obvious choice with almost no cap repercussions.

Campbell finally flashed signs of the promise that caused him to be drafted 59th overall ahead of D.K. Metcalf last year. He still has quite a bit to prove, but would make a talented target and slot receiver for a rookie QB to throw to. A 1 year prove it deal is in order here, with "proving it" potentially leading to a long term starter level contract.

Originally I didn't have Rodney McLeod on my list, but I don't think passing on starting caliber players that are projected to make $2 million next year is a generally good practice.

McLaughlin is a good kicker, pay him a decent rate and keep him.
I’d love just Okereke and Campbell. But I feel like it will be just Speed and McLaughlin.