View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 07:40 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,282 Times in 2,024 Posts
Default Texans Settle for a Tie ...... 2018 Reich in Reverse

o

Early in the 2018 season, the Colts' game against the Texans went into overtime. With only 27 seconds left, the Colts had a 4th-and-4 from their own 43 yardline. Colts coach Frank Reich decided to roll the dice, and went for it ...... that decision cost the Colts dearly, as the Colts failed to convert, and the Texans went ahead and kicked the game-winning field goal after a 19-yard pass completion and a spike of the ball to stop the clock

Colts Lose to Texans in Overtime after Questionable Decision on 4th Down Sets Texans Up with Short Field

(By Scott Davis)

https://www.businessinsider.com/colt...ecision-2018-9

In yesterday's season-opener, the Texans were in a very similar situation when they had a 4th down and 3 with only 26 seconds left. Even though they were on the Colts' side of the field, the Colts still had a timeout in their pocket, so if the Texans had gone for it on 4th down and failed, the Colts would have at at least 2 chances to complete a pass over the middle, call a time-out, and attempt a long field goal.

Subsequently, the Texans ...... unlike Frank Reich in 2018 ...... decided to cut their losses and settle for a tie, a very prudent decision in a game so early in the season. Reich's decision in 2018 wound up being the difference in the AFC South title, as the Colts beat the Texans later in the season, but finished the season at 10-6 to the Texans' 11-5. If the Colts had settled for the tie, both teams would have had identical 10-5-1 records with the Colts winning the tie-breaker with a 1-0-1 head-on record.

That 2018 decision by Reich 4 years ago (and the loss of that game) is all water under the bridge ...... I like Reich, even though I was strongly opposed to that highly questionable decision to go for it on 4th down in that situation ...... but the Texans' wise decision to not roll the dice and settle for an early-season tie yesterday afternoon was eerily reminiscent of that game between these same 2 teams 4 years ago, so I thought that I would throw it out there for all of you Colt Freaks to reflect on.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (09-12-2022), Spike (09-12-2022)