View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 02:01 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewtone View Post
Folks -

Just thinking about the reason why we're convinced that we're stuck with Carson because of the $15M we'd eat in dead cap space if we let him go...

When Luck retired, keep in mind that Irsay let him keep the ~$14M that could've been reclaimed by the team.... this was to keep the possibility of a return open. Am I assuming correctly that this $14M was on the cap effectively as dead space as well? Dead space because he never came back.

I guess I'm getting at the fact that we cannot assume that Irsay wouldn't allow us to take the hit if he thought we needed to.
A $15 million cap hit is if you give him a post June 1 designation, meaning he'd count $15 million against the cap in 2022 AND 2023. His dead money for 2022 is actually $30 million. That is why he will be the starting QB in 2022. His dead money hit in 2023 is $0, which means if he isn't good in 2022, he's gone. When the trade was made, it was obviously a 2 year experiment, having the potential to give up a 1 and the dead money situation made that obvious. Year 1 indicates the experiment probably won't work out. We'll see what happens Year 2, but there's no obligation for a Year 3 if it doesn't work.