View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 11:05 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

The discussion on this thread shows how much the NFL is a "What have you done for me lately?" league, especially among the fans. If you'd asked at this time last year what it would take to get Wentz, the discussion would've been something like the discussion around Watson now. He was arguably a Top 10 QB over the last 3 seasons at that point, with a 2017 in which he only didn't win NFL MVP because he missed the last 3 games. Right now, because that same player had one bad stretch of games, followed by a few media hit pieces, he's available for Day 2 picks instead of Day 1 picks. I doubt he lost all his talent overnight. It's much more likely that the changes caused by COVID affected him more than most players, especially because it was harder to do detail work during COVID, and Wentz has required a lot of fine tuning on mechanics over the years. His mechanics are the biggest year over year change outside of his performance, so in theory, fix the mechanics (and pound "no hero ball" into his head from Day 1), fix the performance. Getting a Top 10-15 QB for a package headlined by the 54th overall pick would be a coup, yet to read this board, you'd think the Eagles would be committing grand larceny just getting that pick, let alone anything else. To me, if Ballard makes the trade, it will likely be a win, because it means Ballard and Reich believe the issues are primarily mechanical and they think Reich can fix it, and they've earned the benefit of the doubt on that until proven otherwise.