View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I think that’s hyperbole. I don’t think he wasted a year by implementing his plan – we won a playoff game in a season where few thought we’d make the playoffs at all. If Ballard had spent more of that salary cap space in 2018, would we have had a better chance to beat the Chiefs? Maybe, but we’ll never know.

One of the problems with your argument is that it is premised upon the absolute certainty that this team would have been better and gone further in the playoffs if Ballard had implemented your plan and signed premium free agents instead of focusing on youth. While it’s certainly possible I don’t think that’s a certainty. Free agency is a bit of a minefield and we might well have ended up with a few bombs. Ryan Jenson and Andrew Norwell – two individuals we actively pursued with most people’s blessing here – haven’t nearly lived up to their lofty billing. In fact, here’s a pre-season article I found from March 2018 outlining the Indy Star’s view on the free agents we should pursue that offseason:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...nse/402692002/

Who of these guys do you think would have made a difference in retrospect? Allen Robinson would have been nice, no doubt, but I don’t think the rest of these guys would have been an improvement over our current (younger and cheaper) roster members. And let’s not forget the “butterfly effect” of signing some additional veteran free agents – would we have Quinton Nelson or Darius Leonard? Hines? What about DION F’ING CAIN? (oh, wait…)

All thing considered, and in retrospect, I’m happy with the path Ballard chose, even through we lost in the divisional round last season. I think we did about as well as any of us could have reasonably expected at the beginning of the 2018 offseason – with our without more free agent signings.
Chaka, I get it - I’m not going to sway you at all. I can’t prove that anything would have been better and I can’t prove that anything good that has happened would have still happened. It’s a game that I can’t win. Pretty much the exact concern I had (the unpredictable nature of the NFL) rocked the franchise (Lucks retirement) and they may be facing a similar situation (AC retiring) this offseason. I complained about a 3-4 year rebuild and we are now entering year 4 and the dynasty is no where in sight. I complained about a 1 yr deal for Funchess because I didn’t believe it solved anything at WR. He played one game, WR is still a mess and whether or not he comes back next year is up in the air. It doesn’t matter what is said or what happens your opinion isn’t going to change. And considering where the team is mine sure as hell isn’t either. So the discussion is pointless.

Last edited by rm1369; 01-07-2020 at 06:28 PM.