Thread: Gerald McCoy
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
I dont understand how the cap works and will not claim to. What I want explained is what good does let's say 40 million in cap sitting there during the season do us if we come up short at winning (playoffs, AFC title game, SB )?

If this happens and this team yet again fails to get more pressure on QBs... and we will face better this year.

If the up and coming guys dont progress and the Colts are a bottom half team at pressuring the QB. Let's say McCoy gets 8 or 9 sacks for the Panthers.

Would it have hurt to sign him to a one year? Saying he isnt a fit when he is an upgrade makes no sense to me.

Again I dont claim to understand the cap and certainly the positions as much as others here.
It isn't a zero sum game. If McCoy brought the 8 sacks here, we wouldn't have a net gain of eight sacks. The snaps he would get would take them from someone else who may have gotten some of those same sacks on the same plays. maybe we get a net gain of two sacks, but maybe we get none. It is mere speculation to think he adds eight sacks to our total.