View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 12:18 AM

Thanked 2,679 Times in 1,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Yep... that means he drafted for need and not BPA like he said he was going to. The media always picked needs for teams.

I think it depends a bit on what type of depth the draft has. Ballard stated before the draft that they had Players 16-70 ranked very closely together and you really had to split hairs to rank one over another. At that point, you can take a look at your needs and address them.

Besides Ballard, SI's MMQB had the same observation before the draft when they posted their final mock draft:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/22/mo...dwayne-haskins

Quote:
But I think if you got a look at most teams’ boards, you’d consistently see these five names near the top.

After that, it’s absolutely anyone’s guess who goes where.

“The meat of this draft is Day 2 and Day 3,” one AFC exec said on Sunday night. “The second-to-fourth round is where it’s at. Once we get by that first level, with the elite guys, to me, it’s all the same.”

“After Bosa and Allen and Quinnen Williams,” one AFC GM said, “it’s a legit crapshoot.”

So here’s what that means: Most teams I’ve talked to over the last two weeks expect that in the 12-16 range, they’ll be looking at guys with second-round grades. There are that few real blue-chip players in the class. The flip side? Well, the flip side is that those second-round grades could stretch well into the third round, and the expectation is that there are going to finds well into Day 3.

That adds up to a lot of good, similarly graded players, and a very unpredictable first round.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2019)