Thread: Mike Mitchell
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Jalen Collins time?
I will be shocked if they promote a CB from the practice squad to fill a safety role.

My guess is that we will see a lot more J.J. Wilcox as the Safety-3 behind Hooker and Geathers.

He has been getting an increasing number of snaps over the past three games while Odum has been getting a decreased snap count during the same span.

Since I suspect we will be nickle and dime defenses most of the game, our safeties' ability to support run stop will be critical to our success. Luckily, our two starting safeties both play the run well. When Wilcox has been in, he often takes the Single-High position (as 45 of his 49 defensive snaps have been in pass coverage) with Hooker moving closer to the line / playing shorter zone reads or playing the other half of the field in Cover-2.

Luckily, our starting CBs (Desir and Moore) both rank in the top 25 of CBs with at least 50 snaps in run defense / support as well. Wilson is solid in run stops but not as good as the other two.

But, I don't think we will promote Collins. i suspect he is a "next year" project to see where he is at after a Colts training camp.

Walk Worthy,