ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This is one of the reasons why the NFL is dying... (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119626)

Ironshaft 03-16-2021 04:40 PM

This is one of the reasons why the NFL is dying...

Colts place the "Rights of First Refusal" Restricted Free Agent tag on George Odum.

For his first 3 years in the league, he averaged making $532k a year.

In 2021 under this RFA tag, he will make $2.133m

He is not a full time defensive starter.

He is a Special Teams ace but not a full time starter.

His response?

Quote:

George Odum
@GeorgeOdum
Disrespected and disappointed!!
The entitlement attitude of some professional athletes is one of the things that is bringing down all of professional sports.

Boss: "Here, I want to pay you 4x your salary for this next year."

Response: "Disrespected and disappointed!!"

Hope he plays well in a reserve role in 2021 for us and then I hope he does well in 2022 someone else.

Brylok 03-16-2021 05:30 PM

The NFL is not dying. Smh

Hoopsdoc 03-16-2021 05:34 PM

Sorry, but that’s kind of ridiculous. The dude was an all pro. He was really good at what they asked him to do and recognized as such by his peers.

To be disappointed in his compensation isn’t entitlement. I think that’s a normal reaction.

Also, in what world is the NFL dying?

Dam8610 03-16-2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 188861)
Colts place the "Rights of First Refusal" Restricted Free Agent tag on George Odum.

For his first 3 years in the league, he averaged making $532k a year.

In 2021 under this RFA tag, he will make $2.133m

He is not a full time defensive starter.

He is a Special Teams ace but not a full time starter.

His response?

The entitlement attitude of some professional athletes is one of the things that is bringing down all of professional sports.

Boss: "Here, I want to pay you 4x your salary for this next year."

Response: "Disrespected and disappointed!!"

Hope he plays well in a reserve role in 2021 for us and then I hope he does well in 2022 someone else.

You are hardcore simping for the billionaire owners in this post. Also, the NFL is growing in terms of revenue by 10+% per year.

rcubed 03-16-2021 10:25 PM

From the ColtsLaw vid, Odum played 25 total snaps on D last year.

Special teams ace, but he should be happy making 2.3M.

I could see being unhappy about not having a multiyear deal, but players get cut all the time and I doubt he would be getting a ton of guaranteed money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racehorse 03-17-2021 08:43 AM

What is the going rate for a player who does what he does? I am sure it isn't much higher, and the market will bear this out when he signs for the tender amount, albeit for more than just one year.

This was not about the Colts putting a price on the guy as much as it was protecting a player that they feel is a part of the future. It was necessary to do so while negotiating a new contract.

As for Dam's comment, what are you talking about. This isn't about millionaires versus billionaires. This is about the value of a ST player who gets occasional snaps on defensive plays.

Oldcolt 03-17-2021 11:31 AM

Careers are short in NFL and injury is just around the corner. When you have made yourself into a top ST guy you want to maximize what you can get. And maybe he wants to go somewhere where he can start at safety. You talk as if it were the players, not the owners who treat the players as commodities, who are greedy. Players who played in the era I started to watch have totally fucked up lives now, mental and physically gone. They should get every penny they can while they can. To be clear this is the way it works, I don’t blame the Colts or anyone else for it. I just am not irritated at players for wanting to maximize what they earn.

rcubed 03-17-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 188960)
Careers are short in NFL and injury is just around the corner. When you have made yourself into a top ST guy you want to maximize what you can get. And maybe he wants to go somewhere where he can start at safety. You talk as if it were the players, not the owners who treat the players as commodities, who are greedy. Players who played in the era I started to watch have totally fucked up lives now, mental and physically gone. They should get every penny they can while they can. To be clear this is the way it works, I don’t blame the Colts or anyone else for it. I just am not irritated at players for wanting to maximize what they earn.

totally agree that players careers are often short and they should get all they can, when they can. but they also need to be realistic and "know your roll." so the 'disappointed' part of his post is understood. the 'disrespected' part is where I had more of an issue. I dont think the tender is disrespecting him.

I know its two completely different worlds, but I wouldn't mind if my boss said they were going to pay me $2.3M next year but employment may not extend beyond that.

Racehorse 03-17-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 188961)
totally agree that players careers are often short and they should get all they can, when they can. but they also need to be realistic and "know your roll." so the 'disappointed' part of his post is understood. the 'disrespected' part is where I had more of an issue. I dont think the tender is disrespecting him.

I know its two completely different worlds, but I wouldn't mind if my boss said they were going to pay me $2.3M next year but employment may not extend beyond that.

I agree. Every player is disappointed when they don't get the contract they were hoping for, but it is usually not a sign of disrespect when they are offered a contract. The disrespect is when a team cuts you or refuses to negotiate an extension when you are still able to perform. IMHO, Houston and Hilton might feel a little disrespect, given their time in the league, and Hilton's time in Indy, but Odum? Nah, it wasn't disrespect at all.

Oldcolt 03-17-2021 02:37 PM

I completely agree it wasn’t disrespectful. It is how it works.