ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts-Jags super quick thoughts (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60935)

Oldcolt 12-03-2018 01:23 PM

We need playmakers. Bell is one. He is a great pass blocker and receiver. He follows blocks and has great vision (which is what we desperately need. Against great defenses-like you are going to see on a super bowl run-you have got to have great vision, follow your bocks and get the yards that can be gotten ). He costs only money which we have a shitload of. Maybe they can get comparable production from another free agent or thru the draft but I have no faith in who we have right now on the roster to be that guy.

Chromeburn 12-03-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 95889)
We need playmakers. Bell is one. He is a great pass blocker and receiver. He follows blocks and has great vision (which is what we desperately need. Against great defenses-like you are going to see on a super bowl run-you have got to have great vision, follow your bocks and get the yards that can be gotten ). He costs only money which we have a shitload of. Maybe they can get comparable production from another free agent or thru the draft but I have no faith in who we have right now on the roster to be that guy.

At 17 million a season. You don't think we can find someone through the draft or even sign a couple players at 17mil that would help this team. Two corners? Two d-line?

Chromeburn 12-03-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 95782)
1st half 0-0 I'd go for it there every time.

Yup. of course hindsight is 20-20. The last game was a high scoring game. No one thought 6 points would be the only points scored.

Pez 12-03-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 95882)
It was a fucking terrible call. He got hit and landed out of bounds. There is simply no other way to look at it. The scenario you named isn’t the same. Even the head ref guy said he didn’t agree

I thought the head ref guy said something like, "at the end of the game like this I would stop the clock."

The fact remains that Ebron began possessing the ball at the 26, was hit in-bounds at the 25, and hit the ground out of bounds at the 26.

Ticky-tack call, but a correct call. His forward progress was stopped in bounds at the 25. he landed out of bounds at the 26.

DrSpaceman 12-03-2018 01:53 PM

I don't want bell at $17 million a season

Too much trouble still on D for that

If he wants to play for even $10 million I'd consider it. Of if the D was solid and he was the missing piece to potentially win a title I'd do it for a year or two

The Colts are not that though. right now They are improving and next year should be playoff quality, but likely still not SB contenders.

DrSpaceman 12-03-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 95892)
I thought the head ref guy said something like, "at the end of the game like this I would stop the clock."

The fact remains that Ebron began possessing the ball at the 26, was hit in-bounds at the 25, and hit the ground out of bounds at the 26.

Ticky-tack call, but a correct call. His forward progress was stopped in bounds at the 25. he landed out of bounds at the 26.

While it was technically a correct call, I see the majority of the team on calls like that the clock is stopped if its close.

The refs generally do not get that picky or technical on the rule of if they are going out of bounds and moving backward. They usually give large leeway to the offense and stopping the clock, at least from what I've seen.

GoBigBlue88 12-03-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 95890)
At 17 million a season. You don't think we can find someone through the draft or even sign a couple players at 17mil that would help this team. Two corners? Two d-line?

I mean, if Demarcus Lawrence is on the market, sure.

But after tags are applied, there aren't a ton of guys worth a ton of money. Bell is one of them. I'd rather one Bell price tag than, like, Grant + Howard + that level of player.

Chaka 12-03-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 95889)

All of the things you’ve said are pretty much true, and by his tweets he seems to want to come here (or at least he seems to want to convince the Colts to enter the bidding). However, as tempting as signing him might be, he’s a two-time NFL substance abuse violator and he completely abandoned a team that was counting on him this year. In my personal opinion, I wouldn't want to add this kind of guy to a team with lots of young and potentially impressionable players. It feels like a Redskins-type move to me.

Kray007 12-03-2018 02:16 PM

Game hinged on Reich's decision to go for a TD instead of settling for the FG in the 1st Qtr. if they're only down by 3, they could have closed out the 4th quarter with a tying FG, then gone for the win in OT.

rcubed 12-03-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 95731)

12) 3rd and 13 dump off goes for a first down in the 4th quarter. are you fucking kidding me?

this is what annoyed me most in the game. it happened several times. 3rd and long and there is 15 yeards between the front 4 and the next defensive player and jags pick up the 1st.

Dewey 5 12-03-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 95881)
Sigh. We don’t need Bell and the 15 million per year cap hit he’s gonna demand. We could draft or sign one.

Who? Gimme a name. FTR, I don't buy into the Pittsburgh system made Bell theory.

HoosierinFL 12-03-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 95902)
All of the things you’ve said are pretty much true, and by his tweets he seems to want to come here (or at least he seems to want to convince the Colts to enter the bidding). However, as tempting as signing him might be, he’s a two-time NFL substance abuse violator and he completely abandoned a team that was counting on him this year. In my personal opinion, I wouldn't want to add this kind of guy to a team with lots of young and potentially impressionable players. It feels like a Redskins-type move to me.

I don't think its quite fair to say he abandoned them. It was a business decision because they wouldn't give him the security of a contract.

Racehorse 12-03-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kray007 (Post 95903)
Game hinged on Reich's decision to go for a TD instead of settling for the FG in the 1st Qtr. if they're only down by 3, they could have closed out the 4th quarter with a tying FG, then gone for the win in OT.

Had we succeeded, we would have won 7-6

Chromeburn 12-03-2018 04:10 PM

Rumor on twitter is Ramsey punched TY in the throat yesterday. Anyone see that?

Chaka 12-03-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 95911)
I don't think its quite fair to say he abandoned them. It was a business decision because they wouldn't give him the security of a contract.

That’s a fair point – I’ll agree it’s not as if he sat out while under an existing contract (setting aside any arguments that, by virtue of his membership in the NFLPA, he has agreed to the franchise designation procedure). So I guess you’re right that my statement was too strong in this regard, but I’d still be leery of a guy with such an overt “me first” attitude. I also know I’d be pretty irritated with his behavior if I was a Steelers fan.

Now, I realize the Steeler were able to compensate pretty well with James Conner, but that concerns me as well – if Bell is so special, why were they able to replace his production so easily? Conner is averaging 4.5 YPC with 12 TDs, and is on pace for about 70 receptions at an average of 9 yards apiece (with one additional TD). By comparison, last year Bell averaged 4.0 YPC with 9 TDs, and caught 85 passes at an average of 7.7 yards each (and 2 TDs). Maybe the Steelers caught lightning in a bottle twice, but then again, maybe not.

Not to mention the fact that Bell will also be 27 on opening day next year, and most RBs have peaked by their age 25-26 seasons per the following article:

http://apexfantasyleagues.com/2018/0...running-back/#

So, for all of these reasons, in addition to the ones I mentioned in my first post, I just don’t think the Colts should sign him.

YDFL Commish 12-03-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 95898)
While it was technically a correct call, I see the majority of the team on calls like that the clock is stopped if its close.

The refs generally do not get that picky or technical on the rule of if they are going out of bounds and moving backward. They usually give large leeway to the offense and stopping the clock, at least from what I've seen.

Correct. But it is called one way when a team is in 2-minute and another throughout the rest of the game.

Oldcolt 12-03-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 95902)

Yeah, he does have a lot of baggage (the drugs. I don't blame him for not wanting to play year after year as a franchise player. You are one injury away from ending your career. You have a minimum number of years to make money. Nobody gives a financial shit about you once you retire either). He would be a huge upgrade on the field. I think you almost gotta kick the tires just to do due diligence

Kray007 12-04-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 95913)
Had we succeeded, we would have won 7-6

Sometimes, if you're a coach, you've gotta settle for the FG...especially in a game in which both Defenses are dominating. Colts were in FG range 3 times, and lost by 6.

Racehorse 12-04-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kray007 (Post 96018)
Sometimes, if you're a coach, you've gotta settle for the FG...especially in a game in which both Defenses are dominating. Colts were in FG range 3 times, and lost by 6.

Both are correct.

Btw, where you been, Ken?

1965southpaw 12-04-2018 12:32 PM

I can't remember Pags EVER accepting such clear, specific accountability for a botched play, game plan, failure to get his team ready as Frank does about this loss. It give me confidence that he is intelligent, has his ego in check, and can learn and grow as a coach with his young team. I think it's great that he's learning during this rebuilding season and will be more ready next year at the same time we have a roster that's more ready to perform as a serious contender. I predicted an 8-8 season and I still think that's the ceiling for this team.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/colts-l...8543--nfl.html

Reich did some self-critiquing, too.

Three times with Indy in position to kick field goals, he went for it on fourth down. All three plays came up short.

''They outcoached me on that. They played a coverage they had not played in that situation. It was the answer in case they did that and we were just a little off in our execution,'' Reich said, referring to the play on fourth-and-goal.

''The second (fourth-down) call, the reverse to (Eric) Ebron, it was a high risk-reward. I had envisioned that play into breaking out - not just a first down but possibly a 20 or 30-yard gain. We had a half yard to go. That would be the one that I would question myself the most on. Just run it up the middle. We had half a yard, run a quarterback sneak or just run a dive play up the middle and get the half yard. I took the risk for the big play and I was wrong.''

Pez 12-04-2018 02:32 PM

I saw a stat that if the Colts win out (highly unlikely), we still only have a 57% chance of making the playoffs in the 6th wildcard spot.

First six games we had one win, two close ones and three piles of shit. Next six games we have 5 wins and 1 pile of shit. Hard not to be optimistic.

I sure would love to beat the Texans though.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/coltswhatif.html

sherck 12-04-2018 03:00 PM

In many ways, I think missing the playoffs is a fine thing for this season.

- A 7-9 / 8 - 8 / 9 - 7 record shows a good improvement over last year's 4 win season. There are A LOT of NFL teams that change coaches/GMs after a poor season and do not improve. We did.

- No one throught our defense was ready for prime time. They are actually ahead of where I thought they would be. Lots of reps for young players and when we add more talent this off-season, they might be ready for prime time next year.

- Season points out some flaws to our offense. 1st year HC / play caller, weakness at WR, potential weakness at RB, depth at TE and OL. Massive improvement in the O-line overall but it will allow Ballard to focus on how to improve personnel for the offense.

- The team will be hungry for a playoff spot. Just missing out will wet the fire of the younger players to do better next year.

The team is a much different team now than in weeks 1 - 6. We have identified strengths of the team (O-Line, TE, QB, spots on the defense, TE starters) and weaknesses (rest of the defense, WR, TE depth).

Even after a pretty darn ugly loss, I am still hopeful that we can do well for the rest of the season and have a great off-season and be ready to take back the division in 2019.

Walk Worthy,

DrSpaceman 12-04-2018 03:33 PM

Missing the playoffs with a 7-9 win season is certainly not the end of the world

I can live with a 10-20 draft pick and building for next season. Still lots of cap money. Maybe Ballard can pull another trade back. I would even consider seeing how good Luck has been playing seeing what you can get in a Brissett trade.

VeveJones007 12-04-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 96045)

- A 7-9 / 8 - 8 / 9 - 7 record shows a good improvement over last year's 4 win season. There are A LOT of NFL teams that change coaches/GMs after a poor season and do not improve. We did.

- No one throught our defense was ready for prime time. They are actually ahead of where I thought they would be. Lots of reps for young players and when we add more talent this off-season, they might be ready for prime time next year.

- Season points out some flaws to our offense. 1st year HC / play caller, weakness at WR, potential weakness at RB, depth at TE and OL. Massive improvement in the O-line overall but it will allow Ballard to focus on how to improve personnel for the offense.

- The team will be hungry for a playoff spot. Just missing out will wet the fire of the younger players to do better next year.

The team is a much different team now than in weeks 1 - 6. We have identified strengths of the team (O-Line, TE, QB, spots on the defense, TE starters) and weaknesses (rest of the defense, WR, TE depth).

Even after a pretty darn ugly loss, I am still hopeful that we can do well for the rest of the season and have a great off-season and be ready to take back the division in 2019.

Walk Worthy,

There's still a lot of positives. That was a really fine defensive performance on Sunday. Overall, there's a very clear picture forming of how this team is set up for the next several years. Now it's up to Ballard to augment this core (both draft and UFA) and the coaching staff to keep developing the pieces and putting them in positions to succeed.

Hoopsdoc 12-04-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 96058)
There's still a lot of positives. That was a really fine defensive performance on Sunday. Overall, there's a very clear picture forming of how this team is set up for the next several years. Now it's up to Ballard to augment this core (both draft and UFA) and the coaching staff to keep developing the pieces and putting them in positions to succeed.

Dude. That “performance” was against the heretofore 0-8 Cody Kessler who was missing the one decent player they have on offense.

Allowing that team to score 6 points is not a fine defensive performance.

Dewey 5 12-04-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 96045)

Walk Worthy,

I agree. Next year however, these almost wins need to be wins. The "no show up games" need to be show up & be prepared games. Coaches & players have the benefit of a learning curve this year. Next year they get no such free pass. A lot of work to do this offseason. Time to go to work.

VeveJones007 12-04-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 96078)
Dude. That “performance” was against the heretofore 0-8 Cody Kessler who was missing the one decent player they have on offense.

Would 3 points have been acceptable, or were you holding the defense to a shutout-or-nothing benchmark?

Hoopsdoc 12-04-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 96089)
Would 3 points have been acceptable, or were you holding the defense to a shutout-or-nothing benchmark?

3 points would have been acceptable, 0 would have been fine.

Butter 12-04-2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 96078)

Ok, now that is just kind of ridiculous. The fail was on the offense, I don't care what team you are playing against if you lose 6-0 that is on the offense. In the offense friendly modern NFL if you hold them under 20 and lose it is on the Offense.

FatDT 12-04-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 96093)
3 points would have been acceptable, 0 would have been fine.

You’re just being sour. Holding any NFL offense to 6 points is doing a good job.

VeveJones007 12-05-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 96108)
You’re just being sour. Holding any NFL offense to 6 points is doing a good job.

“Being sour” is quite generous. 6 points against = unacceptable is an atrocious take.

1965southpaw 12-05-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 96044)
I saw a stat that if the Colts win out (highly unlikely), we still only have a 57% chance of making the playoffs in the 6th wildcard spot.

First six games we had one win, two close ones and three piles of shit. Next six games we have 5 wins and 1 pile of shit. Hard not to be optimistic.

I sure would love to beat the Texans though.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/coltswhatif.html

Yesterday I saw that woman on NFL network (Cynthia Frelund) use her "model" to predict the 6th wildcard spot and based on her analytics only the colts and ravens have a credible chance to make it. What I don't like about her reports is that she doesn't share what variables are in her model so I don't know whether it's a credible model or not. Only specific thing she said re Colts odds were that our league leading 3rd down conversion rate was a significant factor. Her conclusion was if we win one of houston or cowboys game we would likely get the 6th spot.

Racehorse 12-05-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 96139)
Yesterday I saw that woman on NFL network (Cynthia Frelund) use her "model" to predict the 6th wildcard spot and based on her analytics only the colts and ravens have a credible chance to make it. What I don't like about her reports is that she doesn't share what variables are in her model so I don't know whether it's a credible model or not. Only specific thing she said re Colts odds were that our league leading 3rd down conversion rate was a significant factor. Her conclusion was if we win one of houston or cowboys game we would likely get the 6th spot.

I am torn on this. On the one hand, it would be nice to defy the odds and make the playoffs this year, having a chance to knock off a higher seed. They would also gain playoff experience. On the other hand, this team is not likely going to make much noise in the playoffs, so improved draft position would vastly improve our team for the future.

Like most, I feel that you always want to make the playoffs. Always! But do we really?

Pez 12-05-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 96162)
I am torn on this. On the one hand, it would be nice to defy the odds and make the playoffs this year, having a chance to knock off a higher seed. They would also gain playoff experience. On the other hand, this team is not likely going to make much noise in the playoffs, so improved draft position would vastly improve our team for the future.

Like most, I feel that you always want to make the playoffs. Always! But do we really?

Without a doubt, yes.

1. playoff experience, especially if we can win the wildcard and get to the divisional
2. psychological benefit of making the playoffs in general
3. small sample size, but this 'regime' has shown an ability to find value in the draft
4. an extra second rounder from the Jets (negotiated last year)
5. An extra 4th rounder compensatory that we will get for Moncrief

And were already past the point in a way. If we go 2-2 on in the next 4, we:

1. miss the playoffs
2. pick about 16th or 17th

If we win out and make the playoffs, then go one and done, we will

1. get the aforementioned benefits of playoff experience
2. finish 12th and pick 21st

I am confident that with this 'regime' the difference between a 17th pick and a 21st pick is not that significant.

We have some flexibility also. If we want to trade up to draft higher in the first, we have an extra 2nd and an extra 4th to use as capital to trade up.

Pez 12-05-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 96139)

Colts AND ravens both? or colts OR ravens?

VeveJones007 12-05-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 96168)
Without a doubt, yes.

1. playoff experience, especially if we can win the wildcard and get to the divisional
2. psychological benefit of making the playoffs in general
3. small sample size, but this 'regime' has shown an ability to find value in the draft
4. an extra second rounder from the Jets (negotiated last year)
5. An extra 4th rounder compensatory that we will get for Moncrief

And were already past the point in a way. If we go 2-2 on in the next 4, we:

1. miss the playoffs
2. pick about 16th or 17th

If we win out and make the playoffs, then go one and done, we will

1. get the aforementioned benefits of playoff experience
2. finish 12th and pick 21st

I am confident that with this 'regime' the difference between a 17th pick and a 21st pick is not that significant.

We have some flexibility also. If we want to trade up to draft higher in the first, we have an extra 2nd and an extra 4th to use as capital to trade up.

Simply making the playoffs this year doesn't matter. If they make the playoffs because a lot of the young players are showing growth, then so be it. Only the growth will make a difference in putting this team closer to its next title.

albany ed 12-05-2018 04:36 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say they lose at least 2 more games. Usually, rookies hit a wall around this time, and the Colts have more than their share of rookies playing key starter roles.

Hoopsdoc 12-05-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 96108)

Ordinarily I would agree. But not against THAT team. They are AWWWWWFUL.

JAFF 12-05-2018 06:30 PM

While the game against the Jags was god awful, it will tell us what this team is made of. If they come out and get @ss kicked, that won't be good. If they come and out drag the Texans into overtime, I will be happy. They need to play hard and smart. The coach needs to admit that a FG is better than 0 points.

The Texans are a better team, with a good O and a better D. If the Colts can make them fight all game long. That will be the best news, no matter what the final score is.

Pez 12-05-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 96176)
Simply making the playoffs this year doesn't matter. If they make the playoffs because a lot of the young players are showing growth, then so be it. Only the growth will make a difference in putting this team closer to its next title.

Also agree with this 100%. I guess it should be clear that I think we have < 1% chance of making the playoffs. We probably only have a slightly better change to beat the Texans.