ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Linebacker Stat..... (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65757)

sherck 01-16-2019 09:45 AM

Linebacker Stat.....
 
Blew me away:

Quote:

Because linebackers so often defend passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage, tracking how many yards after the catch a linebacker allows can provide a clear picture as to how many yards the pass-catcher is adding after the catch with the linebacker in coverage. Indianapolis Coltsí Anthony Walker led the aforementioned group of linebackers [49 off the ball linebackers] with his 4.41 YAC per reception allowed average.
Other notable:

- SEA Bobby Wagner led tackling efficiency by missing only 1 tackle in 139 tackle attempts.

- CAR Luke Kuechly led in run stops logging 39 stops (less than 45% of yards needed to move the chains on 1st down, less than 60% of yards needed to move the chains on 2nd downs, or preventing a 1st down on 3rd or 4th down) on 325 run defense snaps.

- BUF Matt Milano led in allowed QB passer rating allowed (67.0) on all linebackers with over 300 attempts.

That is some nice read and run skills as Walker has to diagnose the play AND have the speed and angle to limit the YAC of the receivers.

Again, Walker is "fine" as our MLB but we should always be looking out for a "great" one to pair with Leonard with Walker as a good SSLB / LB3 if we are going to be playing a big safety-3 package a lot.

Walk Worthy,

Racehorse 01-16-2019 09:58 AM

I think you should post this again

GoBigBlue88 01-16-2019 11:29 AM

Yeah, I hope it was clear that I think Walker is fine. I was just curious if anyone would even be open to upgrading.

My concern with Walker is not attacking downhill, at all. He can do that just fine. It's when TEs are breaking open over the MOF in the intermediate passing range. They aren't 1:1 scheme comparisons, but that's where Gary Brackett was a menace (at the expense of not being as good downhill, though he was certainly solid) because he had great zone drop instincts and could cover 20 yards with relative ease. I think Walker is fantastic in the 10 yards he has in front of him, but needs a lot of work in his zone coverage technique and instincts.

sherck 01-16-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 107023)
Yeah, I hope it was clear that I think Walker is fine. I was just curious if anyone would even be open to upgrading.

My concern with Walker is not attacking downhill, at all. He can do that just fine. It's when TEs are breaking open over the MOF in the intermediate passing range. They aren't 1:1 scheme comparisons, but that's where Gary Brackett was a menace (at the expense of not being as good downhill, though he was certainly solid) because he had great zone drop instincts and could cover 20 yards with relative ease. I think Walker is fantastic in the 10 yards he has in front of him, but needs a lot of work in his zone coverage technique and instincts.

Completely agree.

When the play is IN FRONT of Walker, he is very good.

When the play WILL BE to the side or slightly behind him, his insticts and play anticipation is not nearly as good.

Brackett could see the play develop ahead of time and be where he needed to be WHEN the play was going to happen.

Walker only sees where the play is going once it is occuring. Now, he is young and may develop that instinct better but for 2018, he was great making the play but not anticipating the play.

Not the weakest link on the defense by any margin and only replaced if we find someone with great potential but I was pleased to see he led the NFL in a category.

Walk Worthy,

YDFL Commish 01-16-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 107025)
Completely agree.

When the play is IN FRONT of Walker, he is very good.

When the play WILL BE to the side or slightly behind him, his insticts and play anticipation is not nearly as good.

Brackett could see the play develop ahead of time and be where he needed to be WHEN the play was going to happen.

Walker only sees where the play is going once it is occuring. Now, he is young and may develop that instinct better but for 2018, he was great making the play but not anticipating the play.

Not the weakest link on the defense by any margin and only replaced if we find someone with great potential but I was pleased to see he led the NFL in a category.

Walk Worthy,

To be fair, Leonard has work to do in this area as well. There is a reason TE's killed us all season long.

FatDT 01-16-2019 01:29 PM

Brackett could do that at his best. But I still remember plenty of dink-and-dunk games where the middle of the field was wide-open and TEs, RBs, and slot receivers were killing us. I think it's a schematically weak part of this type of defense.

GoBigBlue88 01-16-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 107032)
To be fair, Leonard has work to do in this area as well. There is a reason TE's killed us all season long.

100 percent. Tbh Leonard was actually bad in zone coverage all year. I don't have stats in front of me, but I'd imagine he performed better in man than zone. Just no feel for it, understandably coming from small school college and being asked to do a different thing there.

I'll also edit to say there were some weird games (KC included, but not just KC) where Leonard was asked to kinda play this hybrid spy-zone role. Problem is: he struggled to commit to either, and did neither especially well.

rcubed 01-16-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 107032)
To be fair, Leonard has work to do in this area as well. There is a reason TE's killed us all season long.

https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1084938511164297216


mass confusion

VeveJones007 01-16-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 107045)
100 percent. Tbh Leonard was actually bad in zone coverage all year. I don't have stats in front of me, but I'd imagine he performed better in man than zone. Just no feel for it, understandably coming from small school college and being asked to do a different thing there.

I'll also edit to say there were some weird games (KC included, but not just KC) where Leonard was asked to kinda play this hybrid spy-zone role. Problem is: he struggled to commit to either, and did neither especially well.

Even Leonard looked slow sideline-to-sideline at times last year, but you aren't going to find an upgrade there. The only option is to find a MLB with special range, which is why I brought up Devon White out of LSU. He's unlikely to fall to #26, but he has the kind of range that you would look for in any upgrade to Walker.

GoBigBlue88 01-16-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 107046)

I've seen that clip and think it's overanalyzed. If anything, it's JJ Wilcox who gets confused there. In a normal game, he doesn't factor in at all.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.