ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Projected draft picks.... (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65658)

sherck 01-15-2019 07:59 AM

Projected draft picks....

If the draft was tomorrow, here’s how it would look for the Colts:

Round 1, No. 26
Round 2, No. 34 (from the Jets)
Round 2, No. 59
Round 3, No. 90
Round 4, No. 123
Round 4, No. 129-137 (projected compensatory pick)
Round 5, No. 154
Round 6, No. 187
Round 7, No. 218

The Colts are 3.125% of the league (1 of 32 teams).

They own 4.545% of the top 154 selections (7 of 154 picks) or about 150% more "quality" picks than they should be alloted.

IF some NFL team decides to roll the dice on Jacoby Brissett and offer a high enough pick for Ballard to decide that he can go find a new security blanket, this gets even better.

If Ballard and staff can even do half as well in the 2019 draft as they did in the 2018 draft.... However, I expect him to do nearly as well this year as last because:

Quote:

Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout
Holy shit. Ballard is assembling the Avengers of scouting.

Quote:

Kimberley A. Martin

@ByKimberleyA
Sources: #Jets sr. dir of college scouting Rex Hogan expected to join #Colts. So is #Seahawks exec Ed Dodds
8:49 PM - May 8, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy
284 people are talking about this
Quote:

Jason La Canfora

@JasonLaCanfora
Morocco Brown another great addition to the front office Chris Ballard is putting together in Indy. Smart hire

1:15 PM - May 10, 2017
20 people are talking about this
Quote:

Eric Edholm

@Eric_Edholm
as well as Morocco Brown. tremendous scouting staff he's assembling

2:47 PM - May 10, 2017
See Eric Edholm's other Tweets
Ballard's first draft was with Grigson's scouting staff.

Last season's draft was with HIS scouting staff.

I expect more of last year's results going forward.

The future is so bright, I gotta triple up! :cool::cool::cool:

GoBigBlue88 01-15-2019 08:41 AM

And here's hoping Brissett can still be turned into a draft pick, too. I know what Ballard said yesterday, but this team would be foolish not to take a 2 if anyone comes calling. Though that may be at next trade deadline versus this draft, I realize, when teams are more desperate after injuries etc.

DrSpaceman 01-15-2019 09:21 AM

Not sure what the trade value for Brissett is this offseason. There could be come quality back ups/starters available :

Foles
Possible Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Andy Dalton maybe?

I mean those aren't great options for various reasons, but on the level of Brissett or better I would say

ukcolt 01-15-2019 10:20 AM

I am not so sure about trading Brissett. We would then have another need and would likely have to use draft capital to get anyone of a tangible level. We have gone through what feels like a million backup QB's over the past 5 years, all of whom besides Hasselbeck have proven to be pretty much useless.

I know next to nothing about the QB's in this upcoming draft class at the moment. And have no idea whether or not there is a likelihood that there is a diamond in the rough that we could potentially draft in the middle rounds. I do know that i have no confidence that Philip Walker is the answer.

So gaining a middling 2nd rounder for a QB who has shown starting ability and then having to use a 3rd or 4th rounder to obtain an unproven rookie, doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

FatDT 01-15-2019 10:48 AM

I'd take a 2nd rounder for Brissett in a second. He's a good backup but he's not better than Garopolo (who went for a 2nd rounder). Darius Leonard and Braden Smith were 2nd round picks.

omahacolt 01-15-2019 11:10 AM

I would take a 2nd for Brissett in a heartbeat.

This team desperately needs playmakers. At wr and everywhere on defense

GoBigBlue88 01-15-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 106835)
I am not so sure about trading Brissett. We would then have another need and would likely have to use draft capital to get anyone of a tangible level. We have gone through what feels like a million backup QB's over the past 5 years, all of whom besides Hasselbeck have proven to be pretty much useless.

I know next to nothing about the QB's in this upcoming draft class at the moment. And have no idea whether or not there is a likelihood that there is a diamond in the rough that we could potentially draft in the middle rounds. I do know that i have no confidence that Philip Walker is the answer.

So gaining a middling 2nd rounder for a QB who has shown starting ability and then having to use a 3rd or 4th rounder to obtain an unproven rookie, doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

Put simply: they would be crazy to balk at a 2 for Brissett.

Brissett cost the Colts a 7th round pick. You can absolutely find developmental QB2s if you want to develop behind Luck (or any franchise QB).

You don't hang on to Brissett because he's a good QB2 at a certain offer point. He's not a good QB1, as he showed, so if you have to play him, you're sunk anyway.

EDIT: Derp, obviously he was swapped for Dorsett, not a 7th. Not sure what trade I was thinking of. Still: buy low, sell high.

Pez 01-15-2019 11:12 AM

I'm not sure about trading Brissett either.

While I agree with GBB88 that if someone offers us a 2nd round for him we should jump at it, I just don't see a team that is willing to do that. 3rd at best, but more likely a 4th.

He's more valuable here than a 3rd.

Luck4Reich 01-15-2019 11:16 AM

I agree gimme a 2nd rounder for Brissett. If Luck goes down (I really hope not). Brissett isnt taking this team anywhere. We need to add as many weapons as possible while we have a healthy Luck!

smitty46953 01-15-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 106843)

You don't hang on to Brissett because he's a good QB2 at a certain offer point. He's not a good QB1, as he showed, so if you have to play him, you're sunk anyway.

In all fairness he had like a half a second before the rush was on him last year. Might be a bit better with this line? Just an observation … :cool: