ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts-Chiefs quick thoughts (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65424)

GoBigBlue88 01-12-2019 08:58 PM

Colts-Chiefs quick thoughts

1. I genuinely have zero idea what Reich was doing today. He has been very good in his first year, but this was a stunningly unoriginal, stupid gameplan. He would rather ask a one-legged TY Hilton to run comeback routes that destroy his ankle rather than to, like, use Hines or Mack in any inventive way whatsoever.

I know the Colts lack weapons. I know the Colts need to add weapons. And I was the first to say Hilton's injury would ultimately limit them. But everything Reich did was predictable and conservative tonight. It was honestly hard to watch.

2. None of that is to absolve Andrew Luck of anything. He took his sweet ass time to do everything, looked genuinely confused by coverage, struggled to identify blitzes and short-armed a half-dozen passes. It wasn't his worst game, and he's not THE reason they lost. But come on. He's gotta be better than this. He played like a game manager. Where was the competitor today?

3. I thought the Colts really missed Jack Doyle today. You roll the dice on any Eric Ebron play between the 20s. Mo Alie-Cox ain't it when it comes to the passing game. And for the WRs, well...

4. All credit in the world to TY Hilton for gutting it out and Dontrelle Inman for stepping in and at least giving the Colts SOMETHING. Everyone else can fuck right off this roster to make room for a completely new corps in 2019-20.

5. I know Braden Smith got beat too, but Mark Glowinski got exposed for the 2nd or 3rd week in a row. I think it's probably fine to resign him and he plays OK in the context of the line. But if Ballard wanted to upgrade RG, he probably could. Really just depends on what he does with the rest of his capital.

6. I don't even know where to begin with how undisciplined this defense was tonight. Margus Hunt almost certainly played the worst game of his career. This team was just dumb today. There's really no other way to say it. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

7. But Kenny Moore is a genuine baller, as I said last week. That kid is good. At least he and Darius Leonard tried to make plays to turn the game around. Leonard struggled today for sure (he needs A LOT of work in zone coverage), but I mean, at least he played with some heart and made a play. I'll take that over what the vast majority of the rest of the roster did.

8. How fucking disappointing has Kemoko Turay turned out to be? That guy started strong, but he put his one trick on tape and did NOTHING in the second half of the season.

9. I feel the same about Anthony Walker as I do Mark Glowinski. He's OK. Solid. You could upgrade if you want. Depends what else you want to upgrade. Not a need by any stretch, but if you want to be a truly great defense that drops your MLB into zone coverage, I don't know that Walker is necessarily your best bet to do that.

10. The Malik Hooker injury was killer. You need 3 decent safeties to play the Chiefs. They were out 2 of their top 3 safeties today. JJ Wilcox is ass and will certainly not be back. George Odum was better when he replaced him today, but still, Hooker on the back end would have allowed Geathers to be closer to the LOS on the front end.

11. And I genuinely don't know what Geathers' future is. I guess you re-sign him unless you know there's a guy in FA you like, but he's hardly been an impact player and I have to guess that neck gives you long-term pause.

12. Refs had no impact on the final result, but can they please stop calling the Colts for holding when guys are on the freaking ground already?! This seems to happen every fucking week.

13. Never forget how much TY Hilton toughed out this playoff run. Call people on that bullshit when they say Hilton is soft.

14. A healthy Hilton + Doyle return, the wildcard of Deon Cain's return, a bigger investment in WR (more than 1 ideally), and you've got my attention on offense.

15. On defense: pass rush, pass rush, pass rush, and then insurance policies on the back end.

It's been a fun season to watch this team again. They gave more than I thought they would. Future is bright, but it's OK to criticize the present because they need to learn and evolve.

Hope everyone gets home safe in the weather tonight. Should be a fun offseason to stick around here.

Brylok 01-12-2019 09:00 PM

You were typing during the game. I don't blame you

Racehorse 01-12-2019 09:05 PM

Well said. If TY and Doyle are healthy, we hang with KC. We did not have them today and looked bad, but the team culture seems repaired and the future is bright. Three good pieces added would make this team feared by everyone. KC and the Rams are probably the only other teams with a future that is getting better instead of worse of those in the playoffs this year. The rest are seeing their windows closing.

Luck4Reich 01-12-2019 09:12 PM

Do you think maybe he just did a lot of overthinking? First year as a HC in a big playoff game against a #1 seed.

VeveJones007 01-12-2019 09:25 PM

Hot take: today sucked, but we didn’t learn anything about the Colts. We already knew:

-receivers other than Hilton aren’t any good
-pass rush is inconsistent
-LBs bite too often and expose middle of field
-Reich has some questionable play calls from time to time

Overall, I think this result will help the team next year. It confirmed the above, all of which can be addressed this offseason. I’m very very excited about next year and eager to see what upgrades Ballard makes this offseason.

Chromeburn 01-12-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 106348)
You were typing during the game. I don't blame you

He does that ever week I think. Takes notes during the game.

Luck is the distributor and needed to do a better job. He could have dumped off to the RB several times but just ignored his out lets. He had enough time to throw considering it is the KC strength. Getting batted at the line that much is ridiculous. Also Johnson had his hands and elbows all up in Nelson’s face and neck. It was ridiculous he didn’t get called once.

Chiefs were run blitzing. Some screens would have helped there. That is something they need to work on in the off season.

Drops came back to haunt them. They just need more offensive weaponry. Also a full offseason with this playbook will help Luck and his young players.

Defensive adjustments at half actually helped a lot. But we need some more speed on the D. A speed rusher would help. We need need pass rush in general and a guy that can chase down the passer from behind.

The refs were not kind today to the Colts. I think there was a shitload of PI by the Chiefs. This team just isn’t talented enough to beat the top seed and take on bad calls.

I think this game would have gone better if they straight up ran at the Chiefs in the second.

Kelce and Hill are at the top of their game and they played like it. Kelce is the top TE in the league, no doubt in my mind. Some of his catches were ridiculous. Hopefully Ballard noticed and sees how important good hands are.

We will see the Chiefs a lot more in the future. Hopefully improvement by this team puts us over the hump.

YDFL Commish 01-12-2019 09:42 PM

Where was Hines
Why did we not just play nickel
Everybody that we play at SAM is a liability
The need for speed at WR2 has been exposed
TY is an absolute fucking gamer
Give Kenny Moore a contract
But Kenny Moore should never be isolated on Kelce
Not Nelson's best game
He should've attacked instead of giving ground to Jones
The defensive discipline killed anything we could possibly do on that side of the ball
Make Mahomes play hero ball and you've got a chance
We rarely did that
We missed Malik Booker
The right side of the OK got exposed

Butter 01-12-2019 09:47 PM

Great post GBB, I agree with every point. I honestly expected to lose, but this game was a bit embarrassing.

Hoopsdoc 01-12-2019 09:50 PM

Too easy on Luck, GBB. He played like he was wet and cold and didn’t wanna be there. No fire, no spirit.

And the OLine got flat out punched in the balls.

Credit to the Chiefs, yada yada, but if you wanna know the difference in the game, it was 100 percent those two areas.

The defense buckled down after halftime and the game was there for the taking, at least for a close game, but Luck and the line screwed them over.

To me, that was the most disappointing way to possibly lose. I mean, if the defense gets ran over and allows 50+ points, that’s at least understandable, in that environment, against that offense.

But that performance from Luck and the line was tough to swallow.

Phelanka7 01-12-2019 09:53 PM

Great season. Disappointing ending for sure, but I think this is a team that will grow and become stronger, and not fall off the precipice from this loss.

GO COLTS!