ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   “We’re Losing a Legend Today”-Jim Irsay (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49560)

Coltsalr 08-19-2018 11:37 AM

“We’re Losing a Legend Today”-Jim Irsay

Per Crazy Jim’s Twitter:

@JimIrsay
We’re losing a legend today. Details shortly.

https://twitter.com/jimirsay/status/...167145984?s=21

Last call for bets on who this is...

Coltsalr 08-19-2018 11:46 AM

@mchappell51
Colts Bob Lamey retiring. Yes, loss of a legend.

Resume your normal Sunday activities.

omahacolt 08-19-2018 01:58 PM

Lamey was great

JAFF 08-19-2018 02:07 PM

"He fumbled the freaking ball" Best call ever

YDFL Commish 08-19-2018 08:08 PM

Lamer was one of the best ever. Curious to see who tries to replace him.

Pez 08-20-2018 07:16 AM

"Marlin's got it!"

Hoopsdoc 08-20-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 75167)
Lamey was great

Lamey was awesome.

Brylok 08-20-2018 09:50 AM

He's going to be 80 years old. Hard to believe. Thank you, Bob Lamey. Colts games won't ever be the same.

FatDT 08-20-2018 12:20 PM

Guess I'm in the minority but I think he's been unlistenable for years. Some great calls over the years but I'm glad he's leaving. I hope though they don't get somebody too straightlaced to replace him.

Colt Classic 08-20-2018 01:11 PM

Matt Taylor will replace him, per Dakich show.

Hoopsdoc 08-20-2018 06:16 PM

Why do it now? Why not after the season last year?

Is he having health issues?

That wouldn’t surprise me.

JAFF 08-20-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 75307)
Why do it now? Why not after the season last year?

Is he having health issues?

That wouldn’t surprise me.

With his age and diameter, it could be, but I would hope not

Colt Classic 08-22-2018 06:44 AM

https://www.wthr.com/article/13-inve...-days-retiring

He said the magic word apparently while telling a story--he was quoting what someone else said, so now he must forever be labeled a racist and his name never spoken again.

omahacolt 08-22-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 75642)

He said the magic word apparently while telling a story--he was quoting what someone else said, so now he must forever be labeled a racist and his name never spoken again.

Most smart people understand he was just telling a story and that it didn’t come from him directly. But still you have to censor yourself in situations.

Colt Classic 08-22-2018 08:44 AM

It sounds like something two adults could resolve right there without going to HR and trying to erase 30+ years of a career for one of the biggest fans of the horseshoe. Bring an HR rep in if you aren't grown enough to confront the man, but to burn the house down over it...

Pez 08-22-2018 11:27 AM

More than anything I'm curious if this will work. I made a shared YT playlist of a a few of the more famous Bob Lamey calls.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pVEvPbMVHJwLDg

Give it a shot and let me know.

HoosierinFL 08-22-2018 12:53 PM

ANother legend gone, we've waived Josh Ferguson.

Oldcolt 08-22-2018 01:08 PM

I feel sorry for Lamey but believe his 'retirement' was justified. Lamey is a visible representative of this organization. He apparently told a joke where the punch line included the n word. Zero tolerance for a public organization like the Colts makes perfect sense. Among many people, in 2018, it is morally unacceptable for people to tell jokes that contain the n word. It doesn't brand Lamey as a racist or erase his decades of good work. But actions have consequences attached to them. For all involved those consequences were truly unfortunate.

Brylok 08-22-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 75642)

That is a bizarre article and set of circumstances. I wonder how long ago this took place, who the reporting female is (and why it only now came to light), and who affiliated with IMS would tell such a story to begin with. And, at the risk of sounding racist, I can't recall a black driver of any significance who would warrant the original comments taking place in the first place. Honestly, name a significant black Indy 500 driver. Lewis Hamilton is excellent but he's in F1. It's just a strange story.

JAFF 08-22-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 75653)
It sounds like something two adults could resolve right there without going to HR and trying to erase 30+ years of a career for one of the biggest fans of the horseshoe. Bring an HR rep in if you aren't grown enough to confront the man, but to burn the house down over it...

I'm not sure that's possible anymore. How much trouble do you make for yourself if you DON"T report it?

Colt Classic 08-22-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 75690)
I feel sorry for Lamey but believe his 'retirement' was justified. Lamey is a visible representative of this organization. He apparently told a joke where the punch line included the n word. Zero tolerance for a public organization like the Colts makes perfect sense. Among many people, in 2018, it is morally unacceptable for people to tell jokes that contain the n word. It doesn't brand Lamey as a racist or erase his decades of good work. But actions have consequences attached to them. For all involved those consequences were truly unfortunate.

In a way, it does erase his good work. There will be no send off for him. There will be no Chick Hearn or Vin Scully-style tributes to him in the stadium. Colts content will likely no longer use his voice for historic Colts-related moments since that can be seen as being tolerant or giving leeway to those who no longer deserve mention.

I think there was a way to uphold Emmis' zero tolerance toward Bob Lamey, Emmis employee, while allowing Colts fans to still have Bob Lamey #1 Colts fan. Had this been kept in-house, he could have been removed from his position of play-by-play voice of the Colts and no longer employed by Emmis under the general reasoning being that "it was time". He could then have been an unpaid guest of the Colts pre-game show as Bob Lamey, #1 Colts Fan, where fans still get all of the sunshine and homerism from the former voice of the Colts. By burning it all to the ground with the way it went, there is no chance for any of that happening. I think that would have been a fair way to thank him for his many years of service. Had it been Jethro in accounting, sure, fire his arse with no second thought. I think Bob deserved a bit of decorum for his dismissal.

Colt Classic 08-22-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 75709)
I'm not sure that's possible anymore. How much trouble do you make for yourself if you DON"T report it?

That's why I added the part about bringing in an HR rep. Ultimately, I think an Indianapolis Colts icon deserved a bit of an in-house dealing with this matter rather than a tabloid send-off.

YDFL Commish 08-22-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 75709)

WHAT? WHAT? So we have to report every insulting word we ever hear?

JAFF 08-22-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 75730)
WHAT? WHAT? So we have to report every insulting word we ever hear?

Yes you do, ya dumb***. Oh ****, I'm ****ed!

YDFL Commish 08-22-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 75731)
Yes you do, ya dumb***. Oh ****, I'm ****ed!

Fuck that, only a pussy pulls that shit! I hear stuff every day that may me me feel a little uncomfortable. The whole fukn country needs to stop being offended by everything and grow a set!

omahacolt 08-22-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 75733)
Fuck that, only a pussy pulls that shit! I hear stuff every day that may me me feel a little uncomfortable. The whole fukn country needs to stop being offended by everything and grow a set!

If you say the n word at work, you are getting fired. And rightfully so.

YDFL Commish 08-22-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 75739)
If you say the n word at work, you are getting fired. And rightfully so.

Not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying, that if you hear someone say it, you are in no way obligated to report it.

JAFF 08-22-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Did you think i was serious?

YDFL Commish 08-22-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 75743)
Did you think i was serious?

I was hoping not. But you never know.

omahacolt 08-22-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 75740)
Not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying, that if you hear someone say it, you are in no way obligated to report it.

I don’t disagree. But I don’t fault the person here.

There aren’t too many things that annoy me more than people thinking other people care that they are offended. People that get constantly offended need something bad to happen to them so they can understand how fucking trivial that nonsense is.

Butter 08-23-2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

I understand the sentiment, but it is complicated and some of the groups have had a long history of abuse and harassment. I recognize that it has gone too far in some cases, but there is a history that led to this.

Colts And Orioles 08-23-2018 02:33 AM

o

The game is finally fucking over.

Colts Radio Announcer Is Really Happy The Game Is "Finally Fucking Over"

(By Tom Ley)

https://deadspin.com/colts-radio-ann...ina-1787092849

o

Racehorse 08-23-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 75755)
I understand the sentiment, but it is complicated and some of the groups have had a long history of abuse and harassment. I recognize that it has gone too far in some cases, but there is a history that led to this.

I work with a guy who complains about the younger generation using the same term about each other, but changing the last two letters from "er" to an "a". His valid argument is that his generation fought too hard to eliminate the N word for the next generation to use a very similar word to describe themselves. It is a step backwards.

omahacolt 08-23-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 75765)
I work with a guy who complains about the younger generation using the same term about each other, but changing the last two letters from "er" to an "a". His valid argument is that his generation fought too hard to eliminate the N word for the next generation to use a very similar word to describe themselves. It is a step backwards.

Your coworker sounds like a dumbass.

Racehorse 08-24-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 75766)
Your coworker sounds like a dumbass.

No, he is a 55YO black man who doesn't like the N word, even if it is modified and used by young blacks.

FatDT 08-24-2018 09:28 AM

I think any black person can feel however they want about the N word. They're the ones whose ancestors were dragged here in chains and forced to work until they died while their wives and daughters were raped and their sons forced to work like dogs in the sun all day. They are the ones living with the generations-long effects of the way their society was torn apart and trampled on for decades.

And I think white people should shut up with any opinions they have about the word. Just say "n-word" if/when you need to reference it. It doesn't matter if you are re-telling a story about someone else. Just say "n-word".

I don't think this incident makes Lamey a racist, but he should've known better. And as I've said for years, he's not even good on the radio anymore.

Racehorse 08-24-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 75902)
I think any black person can feel however they want about the N word. They're the ones whose ancestors were dragged here in chains and forced to work until they died while their wives and daughters were raped and their sons forced to work like dogs in the son all day. They are the ones living with the generations-long effects of the way their society was torn apart and trampled on for decades.

And I think white people should shut up with any opinions they have about the word. Just say "n-word" if/when you need to reference it. It doesn't matter if you are re-telling a story about someone else. Just say "n-word".

I don't think this incident makes Lamey a racist, but he shouldn't known better. And as I've said for years, he's not even good on the radio anymore.

I agree, however, omaha thinks he is a dumbass. I feel that his emotions are valid, being from Tennessee and having gone to play football at Ole Miss. He has experienced racism that has led him to hate any variation of the N word. Maybe omaha is the dumbass.

JAFF 08-24-2018 06:31 PM

You know when the world is going to end, when we can't use the word, "ASSHOLE" for anyone.

Lets be honest. It's a perfect word for the worst person in the world.

omahacolt 08-24-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 75954)
I agree, however, omaha thinks he is a dumbass. I feel that his emotions are valid, being from Tennessee and having gone to play football at Ole Miss. He has experienced racism that has led him to hate any variation of the N word. Maybe omaha is the dumbass.

good argument

and there is no doubt that i am a dumbass

omahacolt 08-24-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 75955)
You know when the world is going to end, when we can't use the word, "ASSHOLE" for anyone.

Lets be honest. It's a perfect word for the worst person in the world.

i think that person is called trump