ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Quick thoughts - Bengals (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23789)

apballin 10-29-2017 10:10 PM

I think the defense played a good game today

GoBigBlue88 10-30-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 37623)

Honestly, I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic guy, but I thought the Bengals played a bad game more than anyone besides Henry Anderson on the Colts really playing a good game.

I mean, Andy Dalton noodle armed some pretty pathetic incompletions in that game.

testcase448 10-30-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

The bungles have a way of making pizz poor defenses look like the old Ravens

rcubed 10-30-2017 01:32 PM

My favorite part of the game was when pagano challenged the fumble. The call was reversed and pags was giddy, then realized the ref didnt award us the ball because it was recovered out of bounds, and his face held utter confusion.

Colts And Orioles 10-30-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

I think that the defense played a good game today.

o

The Colts' offense has coughed up 5 touchdowns and a safety so far this season, even though all of those points are collectively attributed to the defense when totalling the points ceded by a team.

4 Pick-6's

1 Fumble Recovery for a TD

1 Safety

o

daedge 10-30-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 37503)
More troubling: "we lost, anyone care? nope."

Sad but true.

I'm past caring about the results this season. Well past it.

The only thing I care about is a coaching clean-out.

A top-five draft pick will also be nice.

I'm done with this season. I'm beyond demoralized.

IndyNorm 10-30-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 37438)
1. If you're not gonna fire Pagano at midseason, you gotta at least fire Chud. Holy shit. 4th-and-ballgame, you need 4 yards to keep the game alive, and you draw up a 20-yard downfield route to Hilton? That's laughably bad design. But that's Chud's offense in a nutshell. If Pagano won't go (he should), Chud should be a sacrificial lamb ... if nothing else as a message to Pagano that his hand-picked coordinator sucks.

Totally agree on Chud; he's complete garbage. I had some decent expectations after Pep was fired, but somehow Chud has actually managed to be worse :eek:

southside asshole 10-31-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

6. I'm hesitant to label that a bounceback game from Jack Doyle because we've seen Dwayne Allen have the exact same kinda game before. But it was a helluva game.

This is true, but I'm still higher on Doyle and the significance of this game because, for him, it's a return to form that's consistent with his ball skills and level of effort over his career so far. When Allen put together a game like that, it was notable for its rarity. For Doyle, the couple of bad games was the aberration.

Quote:

14. I honestly think Pagano just doesn't *get* significant chunks of the NFL game. I think there are rules he doesn't understand (seriously). I think he doesn't understand the nuances of challenges. I think he's just not very good at this, and I hadn't realized before last week that it's probably because he had one year of NFL experience -- as a coordinator -- before coming to the Colts.

I've honestly been saying this for at least a year. I wasn't on here saying it, so it doesn't matter and I'm not trying to get points for being prophetic or seeing something sooner - just appreciating seeing my take on Pagano validated.

Every bad coach has been accused of not knowing what's going on in games, but in Pagano's case, it's literally what is happening. He spends significant portions of the game not really keeping up with the situation on the field. I have a pet theory on why that is.

Pagano does not have any instincts. With any competent coach, if you could pause the game at any point and climb into their heads, I think they'd have a very solid idea of what was going on - beyond down and distance, they'd have what you might call a working mental model of both teams, the officials, the field conditions, and what trends were emerging from plays on both sides of the ball and their outcomes. A competent coach walks out onto the field with a plan and then adapts to the changing circumstances throughout the game.

Pagano does none of this. I'll bet you anything that he's one of those people who describe themselves as "a processor;" the kind who can't give you a salient take on something in the moment when asked, but who wants to go back and "think on it for a while" so they can make up their minds about what they think. I don't have a problem with people like that, but it's a terrible trait for a head coach of a football team.

When a good coach calls a timeout, it's a tactical part of their strategy to win the game. It's to save clock, or get themselves out of a bad play, or cover for a miscommunication on the field, etc. I think Pagano understands the game well enough that he knows those are times you use a timeout as well, but I ALSO believe he uses timeouts reactively because he's become overwhelmed and confused, and he just straight up needs a moment to think about what to do.... because he does not instinctively know. The game outpaces his thinking in real time and he gets lost.

If you look for it, you see that happen at a bunch of different points throughout the game, but it's definitely his timeout and challenge management where it becomes the most obvious.