ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts draft dream and nightmare outcomes. (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71122)

Lawrence Owen 04-08-2019 02:42 PM

Colts draft dream and nightmare outcomes.

We, at Full Press Coverage Colts, got together and put down some idea's on what our dream, and nightmare, outcomes for this upcoming Colts draft would be. Great read, check it out and leave us your thoughts!

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/0...ares-and-more/

FatDT 04-08-2019 03:28 PM

I made this name FatDT back when we had Eric Foster (and I have affection for Eric Foster) and Keyunta Dawson at starting DT. I remember how happy it made me just to get Antonio Johnson into the starting line-up. This upcoming draft, with the DL talent available, is a long-time dream come true for me. Let us all hope Ballard does not decide to get cute. I don't think he will.

If we come away from the first two days of the draft with two DL and some combo of WR/S/OL I'll be thrilled. Getting Burns and Simmons at 26 and 34 doesn't even seem possible but who knows.

VeveJones007 04-08-2019 11:15 PM

Really solid write up with a lot of names we should be keeping an eye on in Rds 1-2. I think I’m most aligned with Ben Pfeifer. Burns, Simmons, Deebo, and Hooker would be an unreal haul through Day 2.

VeveJones007 04-08-2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 115719)
I made this name FatDT back when we had Eric Foster (and I have affection for Eric Foster) and Keyunta Dawson at starting DT. I remember how happy it made me just to get Antonio Johnson into the starting line-up. This upcoming draft, with the DL talent available, is a long-time dream come true for me. Let us all hope Ballard does not decide to get cute. I don't think he will.

If we come away from the first two days of the draft with two DL and some combo of WR/S/OL I'll be thrilled. Getting Burns and Simmons at 26 and 34 doesn't even seem possible but who knows.

As I said in another thread, I don’t see any way Burns lasts to 26. If he’s sliding, KC will jump ahead of the Colts to replace Ford/Houston.

rcubed 04-09-2019 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 115759)
As I said in another thread, I don’t see any way Burns lasts to 26. If he’s sliding, KC will jump ahead of the Colts to replace Ford/Houston.

Why does it feel like you want this to happen just so you can say "see, told you"

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

VeveJones007 04-09-2019 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 115764)
Why does it feel like you want this to happen just so you can say "see, told you"

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Actually, what I’d love to see is the Colts move up to get Burns. As for the Chiefs, there are many reasons to believe they could be aggressive.

1) They’ve done it before.
2) They’re in a win-now window.
3) They have a major need after losing two key starters.
4) They have 2 extra 2nd rounders in 2019 and 2020.

Coltsalr 04-09-2019 08:20 AM

Am I the only one not completely sold on Burns?

Granted, it could just be my hatred of Florida State, but at 6'6 240, he's extremely lanky to the point that he reminds me a ton of Leonard Floyd (another guy who I was hoping would last to us but didn't).

And Floyd has failed to make a real, game-changing difference for the Bears.

FatDT 04-09-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 115774)

Granted, it could just be my hatred of Florida State, but at 6'6 240, he's extremely lanky to the point that he reminds me a ton of Leonard Floyd (another guy who I was hoping would last to us but didn't).

I hear you. I was very skeptical about him. He is/was built like the kind of prospect I don't like. You mentioned Leonard Floyd. Floyd is actually one of the more successful of this type, which says more about the type itself than it does about Floyd. I'd include Dion Jordan (super bust), Barkevious Mingo (ok LB but never was a pass rusher), and Aaron Maybin (super bust). Guys that ran around blockers to get sacks but played at a weight that would never work in the NFL. I looked at Burns at first and figured he was the same type.

But then he weighed in at 249 at the Combine, and still tested very very well athletically. He ran a 4.51 40, his agility drills were good, his vertical and broad jumps were top 5-6ish if I remember right. And he interviewed well. He talked about having to gain over 20 lbs pre-Combine. He talked about how he needed to improve on his transfer of speed to power to round out his game. I expected him to either weigh in heavy and then tank or skip the workouts, OR to weigh in too light but do well in the drills. I didn't expect him to do well at a solid NFL weight.

So I watched some videos of him because I began to think maybe I wrote him off too soon. And what I see from him is that he actually plays with good technique and goes into a play with a plan. He has moves. He's not just running around blockers. He has skills that will transfer to the NFL. The other guys, even Floyd, didn't have that.

Now, those skills would not transfer at 228 lbs. He looked like a WR in college. But his Combine proved a lot. I remember Maybin weighed in around 250, but looked like a puffy sack of fat. He ran a really bad 40 and moved slow in other drills. He put on bad weight. Burns put on good weight. He got bigger and stronger but still moved athletically.

So I've kind of come around on him. I think he has skills those other guys didn't, and I think he has a better attitude than Maybin and Jordan. Floyd I think still might do something. Anyway, I get the idea Burns wants to be great and is working hard to get there. There's risk in drafting him early but I don't think it's any worse than any other prospect outside of Williams or Bosa. I would put him in the next category right under them, with Josh Allen/Ed Oliver/Montez Sweat.

Chromeburn 04-09-2019 09:52 AM

Didn’t Dion Jordan brag that an Andrew Luck led team has never beat him before?

I’m not sold on Burns either and I wonder if he is on their radar since Ballard said he wants a guy who can play the run also. Can Burns gain more weight or is he maxed out, also can he maintain that weight? Omenihu seems more likely with his all around ability and athletiscm.

Dam8610 04-09-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 115774)

He's not 6'6" 240, he's 6'5" 250, and he tested well at that height and weight, which makes him viable as an NFL DE. He also didn't get most of his sacks on unblocked runs at the QB, so I don't share your concern about him being the Leonard Floyd type that's too light to excel in the NFL and loses athleticism when they attempt to bulk up. My concern is I can't find a game tape of him in 2018 where he got more than a handful of pressures, which doesn't bode well for a transition to the NFL. He never looked unblockable or even close to it, where a Josh Allen, for example, had a few games or points in games where no one could block him and teams were forced to double him. I will say Burns drew a lot of doubles, but that seemed to be a function of the Florida State defense being awful, and his explosion really caught the eye in tape, but his tape didn't really scream first rounder to me. That could be a function of how bad the defense around him was, but he didn't really make a consistent impact in the games I watched. I also hated how often Florida State dropped him into coverage. He's clearly a pass rusher, use him that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 115777)
I hear you. I was very skeptical about him. He is/was built like the kind of prospect I don't like. You mentioned Leonard Floyd. Floyd is actually one of the more successful of this type, which says more about the type itself than it does about Floyd. I'd include Dion Jordan (super bust), Barkevious Mingo (ok LB but never was a pass rusher), and Aaron Maybin (super bust). Guys that ran around blockers to get sacks but played at a weight that would never work in the NFL. I looked at Burns at first and figured he was the same type.

But then he weighed in at 249 at the Combine, and still tested very very well athletically. He ran a 4.51 40, his agility drills were good, his vertical and broad jumps were top 5-6ish if I remember right. And he interviewed well. He talked about having to gain over 20 lbs pre-Combine. He talked about how he needed to improve on his transfer of speed to power to round out his game. I expected him to either weigh in heavy and then tank or skip the workouts, OR to weigh in too light but do well in the drills. I didn't expect him to do well at a solid NFL weight.

So I watched some videos of him because I began to think maybe I wrote him off too soon. And what I see from him is that he actually plays with good technique and goes into a play with a plan. He has moves. He's not just running around blockers. He has skills that will transfer to the NFL. The other guys, even Floyd, didn't have that.

Now, those skills would not transfer at 228 lbs. He looked like a WR in college. But his Combine proved a lot. I remember Maybin weighed in around 250, but looked like a puffy sack of fat. He ran a really bad 40 and moved slow in other drills. He put on bad weight. Burns put on good weight. He got bigger and stronger but still moved athletically.

So I've kind of come around on him. I think he has skills those other guys didn't, and I think he has a better attitude than Maybin and Jordan. Floyd I think still might do something. Anyway, I get the idea Burns wants to be great and is working hard to get there. There's risk in drafting him early but I don't think it's any worse than any other prospect outside of Williams or Bosa. I would put him in the next category right under them, with Josh Allen/Ed Oliver/Montez Sweat.

What games did you watch that gave you that impression? The tape I watched showed a guy with traits who needs to develop more. Honestly, I watched he and D'Andre Walker back to back and they graded out similarly to me. The biggest difference I saw between those two players is Walker could be had at 59 or 89, where Burns may be gone by 26.