ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Defensive expectations under Reich, Eberflus (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35281)

FatDT 02-12-2018 10:19 AM

Defensive expectations under Reich, Eberflus

We know about Eberflus' history. 4-3, Marinelli concepts that descend from Dungy's Tampa 2. Probably a more updated coverage scheme than the zone that continually killed us back then though. And there's the Rob Ryan connection, some concepts from there may bleed in.

Should we expect anything else? Will Reich have any input? He's the HC, how could he not? Will he want to implement any of Schwartz' Wide 9 into the defense, and does Eberflus have any experience with it? Despite how much yardage the Eagles D gave up in the SB, they were very effective all year and got pressure from many different players.

Their DE group is very good. Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry, Chris Long, and Derek Barnett are players that could all start for a number of NFL teams. We have Sheard, who I think can hang w/that group, and Basham, who is probably better-suited to down lineman than stand-up rush OLB. And then nobody. John Simon will probably be an OLB and the one to move down in Under looks. Mingo will have to work to find a spot, he's not a lineman at all and if he plays at all on defense it'll be at LB. Seems likely we'll draft Chubb at #3, and still probably go after a DE in FA.

The interior DL looks good. Don't think Hankins is on Fletcher Cox' level, but he should have the skill set to be good in that role. If healthy I'd expect Anderson to start at DT over Woods, though rotation will obviously come into play depending on opponent and situation.

Philly's LBs seem a lot more talented than ours. I think Simon will do well enough transitioning to SAM. We need MLB and WLB, maybe the guy from Dallas will sign here. Would not at all mind Tremaine Edmunds in the draft but I'm not sure we'll have the opportunity.

I don't see the need to bolster our DBs a ton. Re-sign Melvin and keep our starters healthy, maybe bring in some depth where needed.

Dam8610 02-12-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 55546)
We know about Eberflus' history. 4-3, Marinelli concepts that descend from Dungy's Tampa 2. Probably a more updated coverage scheme than the zone that continually killed us back then though. And there's the Rob Ryan connection, some concepts from there may bleed in.

Should we expect anything else? Will Reich have any input? He's the HC, how could he not? Will he want to implement any of Schwartz' Wide 9 into the defense, and does Eberflus have any experience with it? Despite how much yardage the Eagles D gave up in the SB, they were very effective all year and got pressure from many different players.

Their DE group is very good. Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry, Chris Long, and Derek Barnett are players that could all start for a number of NFL teams. We have Sheard, who I think can hang w/that group, and Basham, who is probably better-suited to down lineman than stand-up rush OLB. And then nobody. John Simon will probably be an OLB and the one to move down in Under looks. Mingo will have to work to find a spot, he's not a lineman at all and if he plays at all on defense it'll be at LB. Seems likely we'll draft Chubb at #3, and still probably go after a DE in FA.

The interior DL looks good. Don't think Hankins is on Fletcher Cox' level, but he should have the skill set to be good in that role. If healthy I'd expect Anderson to start at DT over Woods, though rotation will obviously come into play depending on opponent and situation.

Philly's LBs seem a lot more talented than ours. I think Simon will do well enough transitioning to SAM. We need MLB and WLB, maybe the guy from Dallas will sign here. Would not at all mind Tremaine Edmunds in the draft but I'm not sure we'll have the opportunity.

I don't see the need to bolster our DBs a ton. Re-sign Melvin and keep our starters healthy, maybe bring in some depth where needed.

Chubb and Ansah would quickly give the Colts one of the best DE tandems in the league, though health will be a concern for Ansah.

VeveJones007 02-12-2018 11:40 AM

That Eagles defenses was Jim Schwartz's show. Nothing to read into what the Colts are planning, other than the fact that they're moving to more of a speed-based 4-3.

Overall, the Colts need 1-2 pass rushers, 2 LBs who can cover, and 1-2 corners. If they get those, they can mix and match zone and man out of the base defense and Nickel.

In the offseason, I expect Ballard to draft Chubb, sign 2 LBs, and sign 1 corner (possibly Melvin). If he hits on those moves, the defense will be significantly better in 2018*.

*Health-permitting

FatDT 02-12-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 55558)
That Eagles defenses was Jim Schwartz's show. Nothing to read into what the Colts are planning, other than the fact that they're moving to more of a speed-based 4-3.

Overall, the Colts need 1-2 pass rushers, 2 LBs who can cover, and 1-2 corners. If they get those, they can mix and match zone and man out of the base defense and Nickel.

In the offseason, I expect Ballard to draft Chubb, sign 2 LBs, and sign 1 corner (possibly Melvin). If he hits on those moves, the defense will be significantly better in 2018*.

*Health-permitting

Do you expect Reich to hand the keys to Eberflus, a guy that's never been a DC and that he didn't even hire? I don't. No, he's not a defensive guy. He'll lean on Eberflus, but he's the HC. He'll have input. If he sees something in his team's scheme that he thinks opposing offenses would exploit, he'll say so. And I am guessing (without remembering the defenses in SD when he was there) that Schwartz' defense is the most effective one he's been around in his time as an NFL coach.

rcubed 02-12-2018 01:52 PM

I EXPECT it to be better than what we have had the past 6 years.

Along the lines of what FattyDT said, I expect reich to have input into the defense, but I think that he will largely let eberflus run that side of things and reich to concentrate more on the offense.

From what I have read ballard loves eberflus. I would hazard to bet that he is totally a ballard guy and not a mcdouche guy. In that during the interviews ballard said he wanted erberflus and mcdouche just agreed. Since he was already here and seems well respected I am guessing reich didnt have an issue with it.

sherck 02-12-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 55567)
Do you expect Reich to hand the keys to Eberflus, a guy that's never been a DC and that he didn't even hire? I don't. No, he's not a defensive guy. He'll lean on Eberflus, but he's the HC. He'll have input. If he sees something in his team's scheme that he thinks opposing offenses would exploit, he'll say so. And I am guessing (without remembering the defenses in SD when he was there) that Schwartz' defense is the most effective one he's been around in his time as an NFL coach.

Which I think would be great. Yes, please; blend a couple of different things together and put it all in the toolkit. Don't just run "this" or "that" all the time; mix it up depending on the opponents.

My wife and I talk all the time about employers giving their employees the "gift of expectation." Expect more from them and often they will respond. Expect our defense to have to learn multiple different sets and then be able to execute them as the game plan dictates. It would be a wondrous thing to see.

Walk Worthy,

sherck 02-12-2018 02:33 PM

4-3 "under" defense

Gap described below:

[C Gap] OT [B Gap] OG [A Gap] OC [A Gap] OG [B Gap] OT [C Gap] TE [D Gap]

Nose Tackle (3-tech shading the inside shoulder of the OG penetrating the strong side A gap demanding the double team):
Jonathan Hankins, Al Woods, Grover Steward

Under Tackle (4-tech heads up on the weak side OG playing typically the weak side B gap between OG and OT):
Henry Anderson, Hassan Ridgeway

Strong Side Defensive End (7/8/9-tech on the OT penetrating either the strong side B or C gap depending on defensive play call):
Jabaal Sheard, Free Agent (Adrian Clayborn, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah, David Bass)

Weak Side Defensive End (8/9-tech on the OT almost always penetrating the weak side C gap):
Bradley Chubb, Terrell Basham

Strong Side Linebacker (bumping the TE and running with or defending the edge, responsible for the opposite gap (B or C) that the SSDE is not penetrating):
John Simon, Lower Round Draft Pick

Middle Linebacker (Run responsibility is weak-side A gap; must cover the deep middle zone or run with crossing routes):
Free Agent (NaVaro Bowman, Nigel Bradham), Anthony Walker

Weak Side Linebacker (Run stuffing clean-up guy who can set his edge or run all day to contain the backside cut and run down plays from behind):
Free Agent (Anthony Hitchins, Todd Davis), Jeremiah George

Strong Safety (cover TE and run support in the box as needed):
Clayton Geathers, Matthias Farley

Free Safety (Ball hawking deep zone range running all day, baby!):
Malik Hooker, T.J. Green

Cornerbacks (Press coverage, gum flavor tasters who stick with their guy all week long):
Qunicy Wilson, Kenny Moore, Nate Hairston, D.J. White + Free Agent

Tier A = Malcolm Butler, Prince Amukamara
Tier B = Aaron Colvin, Ross Cockrell, Trumaine Johnson, Kyle Fuller
Tier C = Rasaan Melvin

So, in my book in free agency, IF the Colts sign:

1x DE Free Agent (Adrian Clayborn, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah, David Bass)
1x MLB Free Agent (NaVaro Bowman, Nigel Bradham)
1x WSLB Free Agent (Anthony Hitchins, Todd Davis)
1x CB Free Agent from list above

AND THEN draft Bradley Chubb with the #3 overall pick and a depth SSLB with a 5th/6th/7th round pick

WILL RESULT in a defense that is set with a solid group of folks that can execute this defense. More playmakers will be needed for it to be good but we are not far off being a solid defense in the 4-3.

It is obvious that Ballard knew we were heading this way with player acquisition in 2017. All the free agents fit a 4-3 as well or better than the 3-4 they were signed to play in.

It will be great watching Ballard in free agency because my bet is that he does absolutely nothing like I wrote above for the defense!

Walk Worthy,

omahacolt 02-12-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 55584)
4-3 "under" defense

Gap described below:

[C Gap] OT [B Gap] OG [A Gap] OC [A Gap] OG [B Gap] OT [C Gap] TE [D Gap]

Nose Tackle (3-tech shading the inside shoulder of the OG penetrating the strong side A gap demanding the double team):
Jonathan Hankins, Al Woods, Grover Steward

Under Tackle (4-tech heads up on the weak side OG playing typically the weak side B gap between OG and OT):
Henry Anderson, Hassan Ridgeway

Strong Side Defensive End (7/8/9-tech on the OT penetrating either the strong side B or C gap depending on defensive play call):
Jabaal Sheard, Free Agent (Adrian Clayborn, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah, David Bass)

Weak Side Defensive End (8/9-tech on the OT almost always penetrating the weak side C gap):
Bradley Chubb, Terrell Basham

Strong Side Linebacker (bumping the TE and running with or defending the edge, responsible for the opposite gap (B or C) that the SSDE is not penetrating):
John Simon, Lower Round Draft Pick

Middle Linebacker (Run responsibility is weak-side A gap; must cover the deep middle zone or run with crossing routes):
Free Agent (NaVaro Bowman, Nigel Bradham), Anthony Walker

Weak Side Linebacker (Run stuffing clean-up guy who can set his edge or run all day to contain the backside cut and run down plays from behind):
Free Agent (Anthony Hitchins, Todd Davis), Jeremiah George

Strong Safety (cover TE and run support in the box as needed):
Clayton Geathers, Matthias Farley

Free Safety (Ball hawking deep zone range running all day, baby!):
Malik Hooker, T.J. Green

Cornerbacks (Press coverage, gum flavor tasters who stick with their guy all week long):
Qunicy Wilson, Kenny Moore, Nate Hairston, D.J. White + Free Agent

Tier A = Malcolm Butler, Prince Amukamara
Tier B = Aaron Colvin, Ross Cockrell, Trumaine Johnson, Kyle Fuller
Tier C = Rasaan Melvin

So, in my book in free agency, IF the Colts sign:

1x DE Free Agent (Adrian Clayborn, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah, David Bass)
1x MLB Free Agent (NaVaro Bowman, Nigel Bradham)
1x WSLB Free Agent (Anthony Hitchins, Todd Davis)
1x CB Free Agent from list above

AND THEN draft Bradley Chubb with the #3 overall pick and a depth SSLB with a 5th/6th/7th round pick

WILL RESULT in a defense that is set with a solid group of folks that can execute this defense. More playmakers will be needed for it to be good but we are not far off being a solid defense in the 4-3.

It is obvious that Ballard knew we were heading this way with player acquisition in 2017. All the free agents fit a 4-3 as well or better than the 3-4 they were signed to play in.

It will be great watching Ballard in free agency because my bet is that he does absolutely nothing like I wrote above for the defense!

Walk Worthy,

I think you need to look again at your techs here. I think you got some things mixed up.

omahacolt 02-12-2018 03:49 PM

our defensive alignment up front won't differ much from paganos. although we probably wont be asking our nt or our strong side de to 2 gap much.

the 3 tech is not the nose. shrek has that messed up. and he won't be handling the double teams. that should be the nt. unless he sucks. remember larry tripplett getting like 6 sacks because simon was dominating 2 guys inside in 05. the nose will be just like it was. a 1 tech or 0 shade or something of that sort.

and of course our de's will put their hand down but it is not like they weren't doing that a lot anyway.

1965southpaw 02-12-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 55572)
I EXPECT it to be better than what we have had the past 6 years.

Along the lines of what FattyDT said, I expect reich to have input into the defense, but I think that he will largely let eberflus run that side of things and reich to concentrate more on the offense.

From what I have read ballard loves eberflus. I would hazard to bet that he is totally a ballard guy and not a mcdouche guy. In that during the interviews ballard said he wanted erberflus and mcdouche just agreed. Since he was already here and seems well respected I am guessing reich didnt have an issue with it.

Take a look at my post in the Reich thread re: Bill POlian interview at noon. Per Bill (and he spoke with Reich before his colts interview) Reich has no problem with the staff he's inheriting and he reminded us that he and dungy inheirited Tom Moore/roger mudd and that turned out ok.