ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2017 Draft Thread (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397)

sherck 02-16-2017 11:36 AM

Just saw a mock which had the following players off the board when we picked in the 1st round:

Myles Garrett, Reuben Foster, Mitch Trubisky, Jonathan Allen, Teez Tabor, Deshaun Watson, Malik Hooker, Derek Barnett (darn), Corey Davis, Jamal Adams, Marshon Lattimore, Dalvin Cook, Sidney Jones and Mike Williams.

The following players were filled up the rest of the round including our pick:

Colts = Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

CB Cordrea Tankersley, Clemson
RB Leonard Fournette, LSU
CB Tre'Davious White, LSU
WR John Ross, Washington
OT Ryan Ramczyk, Wisconsin
DE Carl Lawson, Alburn (4-3 DE; would need to transition to 3-4 OLB)
DE Charles Harris, Missouri (4-3 DE; would need to transition to 3-4 OLB)
DT Soloman Thomas, Stanford
DT Malik McDowell, Michigan State
QB Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech
TE O.J. Howard, Alabama
CB Jourdan Lewis, Michigan
DE Taco Charlton, Michigan
ILB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt
CB Desmond King, Iowa
OLB Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
S Jabrill Peppers, Michigan

To you like taking Williams that high or is there someone else on the list below us that you favor?

Cheers,

IndyEdge32 02-16-2017 12:35 PM

From that list? From everything that I've heard/read (and obviously I'm no expert), Williams has some baggage that is dropping his stock considerably. I would be very shocked with Fournette and Solomon Thomas still being available. If Thomas is the pick, I would be good with it... unless a team calls and makes an offer Indy can't refuse. I'm still pretty high on LB Haason Reddick though and with the list of available players I think it's a decent probability that one of the top 5 edge rushers will still be available in the 2nd round.

Racehorse 02-16-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 2707)
stop.

Hammer Time!

Racehorse 02-16-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 2672)
The upside to bringing in a RB, is that for an offense that has Andrew Luck and TY Hilton and an OL that (ostensibly) isn't a total trainwreck and has made other investments in WR (Moncrief/Dorsett) and TE (Allen/probably Doyle soon), not to mention paying Gore a fairly decent amount, for the Colts to only finish #8 in the NFL in points per game (as they did in 2016), I'd argue that's underachieving by a fair amount.

No, Rob Chudzinski isn't wonderful, but he's also not such a complete disastrous trainwreck of a buffoon that he's weighing the offense down by THAT much.

Dalvin Cook, I think, would add enough star power to the offense that we'd quickly rise to the absolute top of the NFL. Making defenses that honest where they'd have to be aware of a guy that's that good at running the ball AND catching the ball out of the backfield would put the offense over the top, I'd imagine (barring any disastrous setbacks with the maturation of the OL).

That said, with the defense literally completely devoid of talent, the roster as it currently stands, I think Dalvin Cook would be too much of a luxury pick. Dorsett was a luxury pick that we couldn't afford, but I also don't think he was as surefire as Dalvin Cook would be. The knock on Dorsett was that he had great speed but wasn't a refined WR on anything besides go-routes and that he actually wasn't a weapon on Special Teams. Go figure, that's what he's proven to be. Dalvin Cook, on the other hand, I do believe is a can't-miss prospect that would really catapult this offense. I just also happen to believe that this defense is absolutely starving for defensive talent.

The way you kept going back and forth made me think Pete hacked your account.

GoBigBlue88 02-16-2017 06:36 PM

Chad Reuter's mock had the Colts taking Christian McCafferey. You know, it would almost be worth it just to read the message boards & Twitter :D

omahacolt 02-16-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 2788)
Chad Reuter's mock had the Colts taking Christian McCafferey. You know, it would almost be worth it just to read the message boards & Twitter :D

most of you racists would love that pick

he would be an immediate fan favorite. and don't even pretend that i am not 100% correct

GoBigBlue88 02-16-2017 10:14 PM

In all reality though, I don't really know much about this draft class yet. And I get really annoyed by the Sudden Draft Scouts who emerge every February thinking you can know a draft class / have watched sufficient tape etc. in the week since the Super Bowl ended.

But I trust a few scouts out there. And a guy who has me intrigued is Quincy Wilson (the CB/S from Florida, the one opposite Teez Tabor). Hard to say where he'll land up on boards (most have him top half of Round 2 right now, but trying to forecast February big boards is an exercise in futility), but he sounds like a fresh-outta-college Vontae Davis from a lot of what I've heard/read, basically.

Know this team needs pass rush, but if you can't get an ace pass-rusher at 15, I wouldn't mind buying your pass-rushers drafted in Rounds 2-7 some more time with a corner who fits this team in the long-term view of things.

Blue Thunder 02-16-2017 10:31 PM

I would hate that pick.....It's got to be Edge or CB. Why do they have to draft a running back at all? Gore will finish off his contract. Take 6 defensive guys and one OL to either replace Harrison or upgrade on Haeg or Good. Those guys are decent depth not playoff caliber lineman, at least not yet.

VeveJones007 02-16-2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 2810)
I would hate that pick.....It's got to be Edge or CB. Why do they have to draft a running back at all? Gore will finish off his contract. Take 6 defensive guys and one OL to either replace Harrison or upgrade on Haeg or Good. Those guys are decent depth not playoff caliber lineman, at least not yet.

I'll be surprised if Ballard doesn't take this route. The guy is defense first and he has a clean slate. The cupboard is so bare that he could start transitioning to a 4-3 if he so desired.

apballin 02-17-2017 09:23 PM

I don't want the Williams dude at all,

I'd take Peppers over him anyday