ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2017 Draft Thread (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397)

njcoltfan 03-07-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 4710)
Charley Casserly has us taking Garett Bolles OT Utah in his Mock 2.0 on NFL.Com ... :cool:

Now you know why he's not a GM anymore!!

FatDT 03-08-2017 09:08 AM

It's pretty hard to imagine taking an OL in the 1st again. I expect a right guard in FA and competition for RT between Good, Clark, and Haeg.

ukcolt 03-13-2017 11:29 AM

With one of the top rated corners in the draft, Sidney Jones from Washington, potentially suffering a lower leg injury (possibly a torn achilles) at his pro day.....would you consider taking him with our 2nd round pick and getting outstanding value, even if we had to wait potentially until 2018 until he was ready to play? I thnk i would jump at the chance once you have managed to assess the injury to ensure it is not too serious. It would be at a position of major need. I realise we have needs instantly, but we are unlikely to be able to get a top LBer either inside or outside plus one of the best corners in the same draft. I am prepared to look toward the future a little and try to fill out the roster for future years.

natagu23 03-13-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 6313)
With one of the top rated corners in the draft, Sidney Jones from Washington, potentially suffering a lower leg injury (possibly a torn achilles) at his pro day.....would you consider taking him with our 2nd round pick and getting outstanding value, even if we had to wait potentially until 2018 until he was ready to play? I thnk i would jump at the chance once you have managed to assess the injury to ensure it is not too serious. It would be at a position of major need. I realise we have needs instantly, but we are unlikely to be able to get a top LBer either inside or outside plus one of the best corners in the same draft. I am prepared to look toward the future a little and try to fill out the roster for future years.

Maybe in the 3rd

sherck 03-13-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 6313)

I agree; not in the 2nd round as we need kids to gain experience THIS YEAR rather than sitting out due to injury.

The Colts are, realistically, at least one season away from being competitive for a championship. 2 draft classes in 2017 and 2018 that can contribute close to what the 2016 draft class contributed (2 full time starters in Kelly and Haeg, 2 part time starters in Green and Clark, 1 quality rotation guy in Ridgeway) along with this year's free agency class along with 2018s could go a LONG way in making our defense respectable to go along with an offense that is, hopefully, top in the league.

I don't mind waiting a year on a top talent but I would rather gain THREE kids for 2018 with top talent (1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Sidney Jones in the 3rd round) rather than just 2.

Cheers,

ukcolt 03-13-2017 12:33 PM

Clearly it would be better if he dropped to the 3rd round, but with the likes of Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack both having significant injuries going into last years draft, they were both taken at the top of the 2nd round. So i suspect it is unlikely he will last until the 3rd assuming the injury isn't too devasting

sherck 03-13-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 6324)
Clearly it would be better if he dropped to the 3rd round, but with the likes of Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack both having significant injuries going into last years draft, they were both taken at the top of the 2nd round. So i suspect it is unlikely he will last until the 3rd assuming the injury isn't too devasting

So be it. I don't want to use our 2nd round pick on a CB that will not play in 2017 and gain experience.

I would rather pick a 2nd round CB talent and play them immediately. When rebuilding, you HAVE to get immediate production out of your 1st and 2nd round choices. They have to produce.

Which is why I was not high on picking Green last season as a "developmental" project. I don't care that he has 1st round measurable, he has only been playing defense for two fricking years. We wasted our 2nd round pick last year.

Now, perhaps, he will developing into a 2nd round production dude in the future but the chances are less than if he had already been demonstrating that level of production in college.

Cheers,

Dam8610 03-13-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 6324)

Those guys would've been Top 15 picks without the injuries, though.

ukcolt 03-14-2017 06:07 AM

Which is exactly where he was being projected to go in this draft looking at several links on nfl.com they had him at 14, 10, 11 and 27.

sherck 03-14-2017 02:36 PM

Mock draft made today following the first wave of free agency.

The following defenders were all picked in the 1st round with pick #15 or after.

Which one would you pick and why?

CB Cordrea Tankersley, Clemson
CB Marlon Humphrey, Alabama
CB Sidney Jones, Washington (even with an ACL tear)

ILB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt

DE Malik McDowell, Michigan State

OLB Jordan Willis, Kansas State
OLB Taco Charlton, Michigan
OLB Charles Harris, Missouri
OLB Carl Lawson, Auburn
OLB Tim Williams, Alabama

Cheers,