ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Melvin (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36099)

VeveJones007 02-22-2018 10:43 PM

Melvin

Quote below is from Melvin on SiriusXM. He and the Colts seem like they are both very interested in working out a deal.

Quote:

#Colts Free Agent CB @Rmelvin30 on his future: I'm waiting to see exactly where we (him & the Colts) stand. I know it's all positive. They told me they want me to be back. That's where my career blossomed so I wouldn't mind going back there.. there's a lot of potential there.

smitty46953 02-23-2018 12:11 AM

Like to see him back ... :cool:

FatDT 02-23-2018 06:18 AM

No real reason not to. I hope he wasn't just a contract year performer.

YDFL Commish 02-23-2018 08:03 AM

Anyone kind of have a bead on how our CB's will perform as predominantly zone corners?

I know he's gone, but I remember VD would look absolutely lost the few times he was asked to play zone.

VeveJones007 02-23-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 56597)
Anyone kind of have a bead on how our CB's will perform as predominantly zone corners?

I know he's gone, but I remember VD would look absolutely lost the few times he was asked to play zone.

Wilson has a great build for it. It will be a matter of coaches teaching good technique.

FatDT 02-23-2018 10:07 AM

Chicago played more man coverage under Lovie Smith than the Colts ever did under Dungy. I don't think we are going back to the days of 15 yard cushions. I expect there will still be tight one-on-one coverage.

sherck 02-23-2018 10:19 AM

2 thoughts:

1. I don't think we will end up playing nearly as much zone under Flus as we did under Dungy. I think we will see a TON of man and mixed coverage rather than almost all pure zone like in the old days.

2. I don't mind Melvin coming back but I have other free agent CBs that I would rather sign if it is an either/or thing:

Tier A: Malcolm Butler, Prince Amukamara
Tier B: Aaron Colvin, Ross Cockrell, Trumaine Johnson, Kyle Fuller

All 6 of those guys have longer sustained superior performance and experiece over Melvin, IMO.

We need to sign an experienced veteran to be the CB1 while Wilson, Moore, Hairston and White (plus a rookie?) develop and I think Melvin can be that guy.

But I like the other guys better.

But, as long as we don't overpay him, I would be fine with Melvin as long as it then allows us to add another veteran LB, O-Lineman, DE or WR/RB in the first phase of free agency.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007 02-23-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 56606)
Chicago played more man coverage under Lovie Smith than the Colts ever did under Dungy. I don't think we are going back to the days of 15 yard cushions. I expect there will still be tight one-on-one coverage.

Yep. I think our defense will look a lot more like Carolina/Seattle than what we saw under Dungy.

VeveJones007 02-23-2018 10:24 AM

Definitely agree with not overpaying Melvin, Sherck. There's too much risk in paying him the going rate for good free agent CBs. Hopefully they can agree to a reasonable deal.

Dam8610 02-23-2018 02:08 PM

Melvin was a good starter, I wouldn't mind playing him starter money. But there are more attractive options on the open market. That said, a good pass rush makes all CBs look better.