ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Colts' Defense, 2018 (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52460)

CanuckColt 09-23-2018 07:45 PM

The D is really fun to watch...the O not so much.
Luck could use a couple more weapons on Offense but we won't have them this year.

Chromeburn 09-23-2018 09:50 PM

Man I so missed not having a D. I love watching the D more. I play the D on games more than O. This is a fund defense to watch, and check out the great gap discipline at the line. That is how you play the tampa 2.

Colts And Orioles 09-30-2018 05:00 PM

o

(vs. TEXANS, 9/30)

If you just looked at the scoreboard at the end of the 4th quarter (tied at 31 apiece), you might presume that the Colts' defense did not do very well today ........ but 14 of those 31 Texans points in regulation were given up by the offense (one on a fumble for a defensive TD, and one on a turnover deep in their own territory which wound up resulting in another Texans touchdown.)

On the other hand, the defense had an INT in Texans territory, but the offense failed to capitalize on it.

Late in the 4th quarter they had a poor pass rush on a crucial 3rd down which allowed the Texans to convert, but all things considered I thought that they played well today.

o

Colts And Orioles 10-04-2018 11:41 PM

o

(vs. PATRIOTS, 10/4)

The defense had 5 stops when it mattered ........ 2 Punts in the first half, and 3 consecutive stops to open the 2nd half (1 Punt, and back-to-back INT's.)

Even though they did not sack Brady once, I thought that they did a reasonably good job of getting some pressure on him, particularly in the first 3 drives of the 2nd half when the Colts turned what looked like a laugher into a competitive game.

I hate stupid penalties at crucial times, and that is what Lenzy Pipkins did early in the 4th quarter when the score was 24-17. The Patriots were to be assessed a tripping penalty, but Pipkins decided to hit one of the Patriots well after the play was over ........ instead of putting the Patriots in a 1st down and 20 hole, the 2 penalties offset each other. 3 plays later, Tom Brady threw a touchdown pass to a receiver that was double-covered to extend the Patriots' lead back to 14 points.

o

Colts And Orioles 10-14-2018 04:12 PM

o

(vs. JETS, 10/14)

The defense has not played as well in their last 2 games as they had in their first 4 games of the season.

However ........ the Jets scored 20 points off of 4 Colts turnovers, and another 3 off of a 5th turnover on downs (the Colts had no choice but to go for it on 4th down while deep in their own territory, because they were down by 12 points with less than 6 minutes left to play in the game.)

That's 23 out of the 42 points that they scored overall.

Even taking that consideration, I have seen a modest drop-off by the defense at-large since the 4th game. That wasn't overly concerning in regard to the game against Tom Brady and the Patriots, but it IS concerning in regard to the game against Matt Darnold and the Lets.

o

JAFF 10-14-2018 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=Colts And Orioles;86012]o

(vs. JETS, 10/14)

The defense has not played as well in their last 2 games as they had in their first 4 games of the season.

However ........ the Jets scored 20 points off of 4 Colts turnovers, and another 3 off of a 5th turnover on downs (the Colts had no choice but to go for it on 4th down while deep in their own territory, because they were down by 12 points with less than 6 minutes left to play in the game.)

Even taking that consideration, I have seen a modest drop-off by the defense at-large since the 4th game. That wasn't overly concerning in regard to the game against Tom Brady and the Patriots, but it IS concerning in regard to the game against Matt Darnold and the Lets.

2 best passrushers on the bench

Chromeburn 10-14-2018 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=JAFF;86022]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 86012)
o

(vs. JETS, 10/14)

2 best passrushers on the bench

They did keep them out of the endzone quite a bit. But too many turnovers. Our offense has too many rookies at skill positions right now.

DragonTails 10-14-2018 04:55 PM

The Jets punted once.

Colts And Orioles 10-14-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 86012)
o

(vs. JETS, 10/14)

o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 86065)

They did keep them out of the endzone quite a bit. But too many turnovers. Our offense has too many rookies at skill positions right now.

o

Yeah, believe it or not, the Colts actually had more touchdowns than the Jets did in this game (4 to 3.)

And one of those 3 Jets touchdowns was scored by the defense.

o

YDFL Commish 10-14-2018 06:00 PM

Again this team has zero depth, except at TE.

Autry and Hunt go down, and we have no pass rush
TY goes down, and he we have nobody that can consistently catch the ball or get deep.

Geathers and Farley go down, and we have no run stopping presence in the secondary.