ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2018 NFL Draft Tidbits (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38803)

sherck 03-21-2018 12:19 PM

2018 NFL Draft Tidbits

I am starting to see some tidbits thrown out there by football reports about the 2018 draft. Throw them out there for discussion if you think they fit.

To start, from Peter King's 19 March MMQB:
Quote:

I had one GM tell me his team has about 70 players on its draft board rated as starter-quality, which strikes me as about right judging how teams have told me they’re judging this draft.
Which means picking up 2 additional selections in the top 50 like Ballard did with his trade to the Jets was pretty important for the team rebuild.

Also, specific to the Colts:
Quote:

Before we analyze the winner and loser in the big weekend Jets-Colts deal, I’ll make one prediction: There’s a good chance the Colts aren’t done trading yet. After dealing from three to six, I could see them moving down one more time before the April 26 first round. GM Chris Ballard said as much to his team’s website Saturday, and I can add a confirmation to that. Ballard’s going to try.
Thoughts? If either Chubb or Nelson are still on the board at #6, I would nab them.

However, if you are in the camp that there are only about 70 starter quality guys in the draft, then getting a 6th pick in the top 70 by trading down is pretty big. We have 5 already but by trading down to about #8 or #9, you could end up getting another late 2nd round or early 3rd round pick. You probably miss out on Chubb or Nelson but there are a lot of other good looking guys in the next tier down.

Thoughts?

Walk Worthy,

Dam8610 03-21-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 60463)
I am starting to see some tidbits thrown out there by football reports about the 2018 draft. Throw them out there for discussion if you think they fit.

To start, from Peter King's 19 March MMQB:

Which means picking up 2 additional selections in the top 50 like Ballard did with his trade to the Jets was pretty important for the team rebuild.

Also, specific to the Colts:

Thoughts? If either Chubb or Nelson are still on the board at #6, I would nab them.

However, if you are in the camp that there are only about 70 starter quality guys in the draft, then getting a 6th pick in the top 70 by trading down is pretty big. We have 5 already but by trading down to about #8 or #9, you could end up getting another late 2nd round or early 3rd round pick. You probably miss out on Chubb or Nelson but there are a lot of other good looking guys in the next tier down.

Thoughts?

Walk Worthy,

My thought is the gap between Chubb and the next best defender is too great to trade down again. They have to stay put for Chubb if he's there, Tampa will take him at 7 if the Colts trade down again. If Chubb is somehow not there at 6, then you can trade down.

testcase448 03-21-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 60472)
My thought is the gap between Chubb and the next best defender is too great to trade down again. They have to stay put for Chubb if he's there, Tampa will take him at 7 if the Colts trade down again. If Chubb is somehow not there at 6, then you can trade down.

or better than trading down take Nelson

Dam8610 03-21-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testcase448 (Post 60473)
or better than trading down take Nelson

Not a fan of Nelson unless the team trades out of the top 15. I just don't see the positional value being there.

rcubed 03-21-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 60472)

agree as long we dont trade down too far.

FatDT 03-21-2018 01:46 PM

If Chubb's there I would take him. If he's not, and especially if somehow one of the top QBs is still on the board, I'd push hard for Buffalo's 2 1st round picks. Should be able to get a premier defensive player and a non-Nelson guard with those. Or possibly Nelson at 12, though I dont' think he'll drop that far.

omahacolt 03-22-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 60516)
If Chubb's there I would take him. If he's not, and especially if somehow one of the top QBs is still on the board, I'd push hard for Buffalo's 2 1st round picks. Should be able to get a premier defensive player and a non-Nelson guard with those. Or possibly Nelson at 12, though I dont' think he'll drop that far.

exactly right

drop down and hope for landry at 12. but if chubb is there take him

VeveJones007 03-22-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 60769)
exactly right

I would target Roquon Smith at 12 if he’s there. He would be a beast on the fast surface at LOS.

omahacolt 03-22-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 60782)
I would target Roquon Smith at 12 if he’s there. He would be a beast on the fast surface at LOS.

not over the pass rusher.

although i do like him and wouldnt be mad

YDFL Commish 03-22-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 60769)
exactly right

Hope for Landry at 12? He's going to go a lot later than that.