ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Gerald McCoy (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71469)

YDFL Commish 04-14-2019 10:12 AM

Gerald McCoy

Any interest in Gerald McCoy, who the Bucs are reportedly shopping?

My feeling is, that if we don't come out of the draft with one of the top DT's, I would entertain trading a 5th and Hassan Ridgeway for him.

McCoy is the ideal UT for Eberflus system, I just don't know how much he has left in the tank?

Chromeburn 04-14-2019 12:16 PM

He is definetly not what he used to be. Probably better than Ridgeway though. I do see them double dipping on DT in this draft. A later pick on a Khalen Saunders or Rennel Wren along with s top three pick will likely cover the position.

Dam8610 04-14-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 116151)
He is definetly not what he used to be. Probably better than Ridgeway though. I do see them double dipping on DT in this draft. A later pick on a Khalen Saunders or Rennel Wren along with s top three pick will likely cover the position.

With the premium this system places on length for DL, I doubt Saunders is a target. Plus I don't think Eberflus wants any DL over 300 pounds, and Saunders main selling point is his athleticism at 320. It's the same reason I doubt Dexter Lawrence is a target, and I think the Colts likely value Tillery higher and Wilkins lower than the general scouting community.

VeveJones007 04-14-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 116153)
With the premium this system places on length for DL, I doubt Saunders is a target. Plus I don't think Eberflus wants any DL over 300 pounds, and Saunders main selling point is his athleticism at 320. It's the same reason I doubt Dexter Lawrence is a target, and I think the Colts likely value Tillery higher and Wilkins lower than the general scouting community.

I wonder if they have a hard and fast minimum on arm length or if it’s total wingspan.

JAFF 04-14-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 116155)
I wonder if they have a hard and fast minimum on arm length or if it’s total wingspan.

Can he make plays? I think that is about the only metric worth using

Dam8610 04-14-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 116158)
Can he make plays? I think that is about the only metric worth using

You use the metrics to determine what natural advantages a given player has that would make making plays easier for them, then you compare that to the tape. More data is better in any predictive analysis exercise.

YDFL Commish 04-14-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 116159)
You use the metrics to determine what natural advantages a given player has that would make making plays easier for them, then you compare that to the tape. More data is better in any predictive analysis exercise.

I get that, when you're projecting draft prospect who has yet to play against NFL competition.

In McCoy's case, he has already established himself as an NFL player who wins his matchups. So throwing his body type into the equation is a wasted exercise. All that needs to be evaluated is his tape, his health and his desire.

smitty46953 04-14-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 116148)
Any interest in Gerald McCoy, who the Bucs are reportedly shopping?

My feeling is, that if we don't come out of the draft with one of the top DT's, I would entertain trading a 5th and Hassan Ridgeway for him.

McCoy is the ideal UT for Eberflus system, I just don't know how much he has left in the tank?

McCoy's release would save the Bucs $13 million against the cap this year. If anything wait to see if Bucs release him. I don't see Ballard sending a pick and a player for the 31 year old McCoy who is under contract through 2021;
2019: $13 million
2020: $10 million (+ $2.5 million / Roster Bonus)
2021: $10,432,253 (+ $2.5 million / Roster Bonus)
:cool:

Coltsalr 04-14-2019 03:20 PM

From what I understand, he’s not as good as he was but he’s still got juice left and he’s more Justin Houston than Trent Cole (yes, I’m aware he’s not an edge).

That said, I’d rather just go with Suh, but Ballard might place an emphasis on “fits the culture” and McCoy’s experience in the Tampa 2.

FatDT 04-14-2019 03:22 PM

For a low pick maybe. But if Ballard is at all interested I expect he’d wait for McCoy to be released.

YDFL Commish 04-14-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 116161)
McCoy's release would save the Bucs $13 million against the cap this year. If anything wait to see if Bucs release him. I don't see Ballard sending a pick and a player for the 31 year old McCoy who is under contract through 2021;

Based on that contract, I agree. Wait and see if he's released.

JAFF 04-14-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

It is the eye test. Did he make a play? Tackle, sack, pressure?

Don't be a dumb@ss. The player either makes plays or he doesn't

omahacolt 04-14-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Shut up

omahacolt 04-14-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 116163)
For a low pick maybe. But if Ballard is at all interested I expect he’d wait for McCoy to be released.

Yep. This is the only way it makes sense to kick the tires

Chromeburn 04-15-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 116153)

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss him. Players can lose weight and he was very disruptive at the senior bowl. Ballard likes his athletes and senior bowl performers. Also I dismissed a lot of mocks that had us taking Lawrence, but we are currently down a NT and Lawrence isn’t your typical NT plodder. He has a higher RAS score than Tillery and is only a few hundredths behind Q Williams. He might be a three down player, I wonder what he would look like if he lost some weight. It is not often a guy that size, who can move so well, comes along. Tillery and Wren also have high scores, I could see those two getting picked with their length in mind.

FatDT 04-15-2019 12:41 PM

If Dexter Lawrence is the next Haloti Ngata, then yeah let's draft him. If he's the next Snacks Harrison, he'll be valuable but I don't want to spend a 1st on him.

Dam8610 04-15-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 116223)
I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss him. Players can lose weight and he was very disruptive at the senior bowl. Ballard likes his athletes and senior bowl performers. Also I dismissed a lot of mocks that had us taking Lawrence, but we are currently down a NT and Lawrence isn’t your typical NT plodder. He has a higher RAS score than Tillery and is only a few hundredths behind Q Williams. He might be a three down player, I wonder what he would look like if he lost some weight. It is not often a guy that size, who can move so well, comes along. Tillery and Wren also have high scores, I could see those two getting picked with their length in mind.

Lawrence got popped for PEDs and would have to lose about 40 pounds to be in line with what the Colts want is a DL. He may have the requisite length, though. Saunders has very short arms as I recall.

Chromeburn 04-15-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 116224)
If Dexter Lawrence is the next Haloti Ngata, then yeah let's draft him. If he's the next Snacks Harrison, he'll be valuable but I don't want to spend a 1st on him.

I was pretty shocked to see his score. Not many people that size that has that athletiscm.

JAFF 04-15-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 116243)
Lawrence got popped for PEDs and would have to lose about 40 pounds to be in line with what the Colts want is a DL. He may have the requisite length, though. Saunders has very short arms as I recall.

Short arms? What he can't do push ups? He can't reach his wanker? WTF does it mean to have short arms???

Puck 04-15-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 116271)
Short arms? What he can't do push ups? He can't reach his wanker? WTF does it mean to have short arms???

Jaff. Seriously. You do understand the difference here right? Maybe I missed the sarcasm and if I did I apologize.

But all of this stuff makes a difference on the NFL level. This is notFriday night HS football

Measurable safe a REAL THING JSYK

JAFF 04-16-2019 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 116291)
Jaff. Seriously. You do understand the difference here right? Maybe I missed the sarcasm and if I did I apologize.

But all of this stuff makes a difference on the NFL level. This is notFriday night HS football

Measurable safe a REAL THING JSYK

Do you know what a T rex can't do?

1. reach his wallet
2. scratch his nose
3. wipe his bum
4. play Nintendo, apparently he can't hit the buttons and fire at the same time.

Did the guy make plays? Freeney was too short and too light to play DE. Leonard didnt play in a big time conference, taken too high. Manning wasn't the athelete Leaf was.

DID THE GUY MAKE PLAYS?

Puck 04-16-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 116312)

1. reach his wallet
2. scratch his nose
3. wipe his bum
4. play Nintendo, apparently he can't hit the buttons and fire at the same time.

Did the guy make plays? Freeney was too short and too light to play DE. Leonard didnt play in a big time conference, taken too high. Manning wasn't the athelete Leaf was.

DID THE GUY MAKE PLAYS?

Ryan Leaf made plays

Dam8610 04-16-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 116271)

Length is helpful for a DL because it allows them to get their hands on the OL first, which disrupts the OL's technique, which makes it easier to win any rep. Length also can help with establishing leverage, which, again, helps to win any rep. A player with shorter arms will be at a disadvantage in those situations, because OL will be able to lock on to them easier, and breaking free of blocks will be more difficult. If you watch tape of players who have length, examples of these scenarios come up all the time. One of Tillery's sacks against Stanford, for example, happened almost entirely because he was able to lock his right arm on the guard's shoulder, completely knock him off balance and not allow him to establish a block, and that allowed him to walk the guard right back to the QB. Using the eye test to see if someone can make plays is good. Understanding how they made those plays and determining if their skillset is such that it will translate to being able to make similar plays at the next higher level of competition is better.

JAFF 04-16-2019 03:31 PM

Did mathis have really long arms?

Chaka 04-16-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 116312)

1. reach his wallet
2. scratch his nose
3. wipe his bum

DID THE GUY MAKE PLAYS?

Lots of guys make plays at the college level, but that doesn't always translate to the pros. I'm pretty sure you know this. The idea is that ideal measurables give the player a better chance at succeeding in the NFL, which increases the chance that using a draft pick on that player will turn out well. Does it always? Of course not, and some people buck the trend and play at outstanding levels despite imperfect measurables. However, all of that is in the future, and right now teams are just trying to lay their bets down on the players most likely to succeed.

Dam8610 04-16-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 116376)

Yes, he did. 34.5", which is very long for a DL of his height.

Chromeburn 04-16-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 116376)

Darius Leonard does.

JAFF 04-16-2019 09:57 PM

Same people who said russell wilson and drew brees were too short. That ricky williams was better than the Edge.

Its not just the outside, its whats inside. Mathis had it. Leonard and Luck have it. Pete Metzalaars and Andre Reed had it. Jeff Saturday absolutely had it.

Thats what Ballard is looking for, and its not on a tape measure. Its talent and the character to maximize their opportunity and all that other nonsense is for the gm wannabes

JAFF 04-18-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 116468)
If you honestly think measurables don't factor in to a team's evaluation of a player, then you must not watch any of the pre-draft process. These players get measured at every stop along the way: Senior Bowl, Shrine Game, Combine, Pro Day, etc. If measurables didn't matter to GMs, why would that happen?

It's a factor that can help a pass rusher for the reasons I mentioned earlier. It's not the end all be all number, nothing is, but it's a factor that can be a positive or negative for a player in the evaluation process.

No I think internet wanna be GMs take themselves too seiously

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 05-20-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 116161)

Reportedly Tampa Bay has now informed McCoy that they will release him.

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status...05004455403520

Maniac 05-20-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 120456)
Reportedly Tampa Bay has now informed McCoy that they will release him.

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status...05004455403520

Let's see if Ballard goes after him. Supposedly the Browns were also interested.

apballin 05-20-2019 09:30 PM

Field Yates says our d-line coach was an assistant for Bucs in 2014

TheMugwump 05-21-2019 06:46 AM

Ah yes...the thread with the great arm-length debate of 2019. Good times.

And yeah, I hope they find a way to get McCoy to Indy. He would be a nice piece on that line, and with all of the youth there, probably the proverbial 'veteran presence'.

ukcolt 05-21-2019 09:12 AM

I agree this feels like a perfect marriage. We have the cap space to pay him whatever he wants, be it on a 1 or 2 year deal, and he fills a need for a veteran presence on the defensive line. Plus McCoy will not have to learn a new defense. Hopefully this signing happens.

I do then wonder who we might then release when final cut down happens. Could possibly be Grover Stewart.

There are currently 11 guys who saw playing time along the defensive line for the Colts last year plus McCoy. Ballard has mentioned wanting a rotation of 8 guys, might end up being 9 outside possibility of 10. I think Green, Muhammad and Phillips would be the guys struggling the most at this early stage. I would be surprised if there isn't at least one injury during the course of the pre season which will whittle the numbers down a little.

Houston, Sheard, Turay, Lewis, Green, Autry, Hunt, Stewart, McCoy, Ward, Muhammad, Phillips

A nice position to be in though.

JMichael557 05-21-2019 10:00 AM

It seems that if you want McCoy you would cut Hunt. Is that a good trade?

Chromeburn 05-21-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMichael557 (Post 120511)
It seems that if you want McCoy you would cut Hunt. Is that a good trade?

Huh, Hunt would be about the last guy you would cut. A guy at the end of the depth chart would go first.

Chaka 05-22-2019 11:15 AM

Colts reportedly interested in McCoy...

https://fox59.com/2019/05/22/colts-h...-gerald-mccoy/

Holder's a fan:

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/st...02027734863873

Racehorse 05-22-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 120648)

For some reason, it says the top link does not work in my region.

smitty46953 05-22-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 120649)
For some reason, it says the top link does not work in my region.

here ya go; :cool:

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Gerald McCoy is available and the Indianapolis Colts will at least kick the tires.
That’s where it stands as McCoy, a six-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, looks to find a new home after being released this week by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Colts continue their search to upgrade the roster.
A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed the Colts have a level of interest in the 6′ 4″, 300-pound McCoy. They either have had or will have internal discussions regarding whether to actively pursue him.
General Manager Chris Ballard always has emphasized the importance of fielding strong offensive and defensive lines. That was evident in the latter instance in March when the Colts signed Justin Houston, whose 78.5 sacks rank 9th among active players, to a two-year, $23 million contract.
The defensive line currently features a slew of solid players: Houston, Jabaal Sheard, Denico Autry, Margus Hunt, Kemoko Turay, Tyquan Lewis, Jihad Ward and Grover Stewart. Gerri Green was selected in the sixth round of the April draft.
Recently, Ballard imagined a Colts’ pass rush strengthened by a swarm of ends.
“In a perfect world,’’ he said, “you’d put four defensive ends on the field. Absolutely, on rush downs. You want speed that can get off the ball and get after the quarterback.’’
McCoy, 31, isn’t an end. He’s one of the NFL’s more accomplished three-technique tackles, and has been a steady interior pass-rush presence. He had 54.5 sacks in 123 career games, all starts, with the Bucs and generated at least 5 in seven straight seasons. Along with his six Pro Bowl selections, he was selected All-Pro in 2013 when he posted a career-best 9.5 sacks.
McCoy also is considered someone who would bring high character and represent another leader and solid locker room presence.
If there is a sticking point to signing McCoy, it undoubtedly will be his cost.
Veterans generally sign modest one-year contracts at this point of the offseason, but McCoy isn’t a normal veteran free agent. The more teams that show an interest, the higher the cost.
But in that regard, money shouldn’t necessarily be an issue. The Colts have nearly $58 million in cap space, the most in the league.
McCoy’s relocation might be influenced by a team’s readiness to compete for a playoff spot, but he’ll also be swayed by finances. Tampa Bay released him when he refused to take a pay cut from his $13 million salary.

https://fox59.com/2019/05/22/colts-h...-gerald-mccoy/

Luck4Reich 05-22-2019 12:57 PM

Makes sense.... Do something Chris!!!!!!!:cool: