ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Gerald McCoy (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71469)

Chaka 06-05-2019 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 121451)
I'll wait for Chaka to give the opposing point of view on this.

You are correct - I would have been against this move. Signing guys on the downside of their careers to high dollar contracts isn't a good use of your resources. These kind of signings are always popular when they are made because you are getting some name recognition and a history of high profile performance, but you need to look at the facts: this is a 31-year old guy on the downside of his career who was just cut by the only team he's ever known. Nothing against the guy personally, but if it was my money being spent, this isn't where I'd want to put it.

And, tellingly, after purportedly having a dozen or more teams vying for his services, he was only able to secure a one-year deal with a $4 million signing bonus.

Colt Classic 06-05-2019 07:40 AM

By "resources" you must mean snaps that could go to others. You can't possibly be saying anything related to cap space.

Chaka 06-05-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 121580)
By "resources" you must mean snaps that could go to others. You can't possibly be saying anything related to cap space.

Why, because we currently have lots of cap space remaining? You are thinking short term.

Luck4Reich 06-05-2019 09:02 AM

I dont understand how the cap works and will not claim to. What I want explained is what good does let's say 40 million in cap sitting there during the season do us if we come up short at winning (playoffs, AFC title game, SB )?

If this happens and this team yet again fails to get more pressure on QBs... and we will face better this year.

If the up and coming guys dont progress and the Colts are a bottom half team at pressuring the QB. Let's say McCoy gets 8 or 9 sacks for the Panthers.

Would it have hurt to sign him to a one year? Saying he isnt a fit when he is an upgrade makes no sense to me.

Again I dont claim to understand the cap and certainly the positions as much as others here.

Racehorse 06-05-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 121589)
I dont understand how the cap works and will not claim to. What I want explained is what good does let's say 40 million in cap sitting there during the season do us if we come up short at winning (playoffs, AFC title game, SB )?

If this happens and this team yet again fails to get more pressure on QBs... and we will face better this year.

If the up and coming guys dont progress and the Colts are a bottom half team at pressuring the QB. Let's say McCoy gets 8 or 9 sacks for the Panthers.

Would it have hurt to sign him to a one year? Saying he isnt a fit when he is an upgrade makes no sense to me.

Again I dont claim to understand the cap and certainly the positions as much as others here.

It isn't a zero sum game. If McCoy brought the 8 sacks here, we wouldn't have a net gain of eight sacks. The snaps he would get would take them from someone else who may have gotten some of those same sacks on the same plays. maybe we get a net gain of two sacks, but maybe we get none. It is mere speculation to think he adds eight sacks to our total.

Luck4Reich 06-05-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 121590)
It isn't a zero sum game. If McCoy brought the 8 sacks here, we wouldn't have a net gain of eight sacks. The snaps he would get would take them from someone else who may have gotten some of those same sacks on the same plays. maybe we get a net gain of two sacks, but maybe we get none. It is mere speculation to think he adds eight sacks to our total.

Not saying it's a zero sum game lmao. So you dont think he is an upgrade to what we have... got it.

I dont claim to know which I said.

Racehorse 06-05-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 121592)
Not saying it's a zero sum game lmao. So you dont think he is an upgrade to what we have... got it.

I dont claim to know which I said.

Never said that. You seem to be a guy who wants to put words in other people's mouths. That is Damesque, so you might want to be careful. I said you can't just look at what he produces in Carolina this year and say it was a mistake unless he is an All-Pro and our guys are like swiss cheese.

Luck4Reich 06-05-2019 09:40 AM

I think our young guys take a big leap honestly

Racehorse 06-05-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 121600)
I think our young guys take a big leap honestly

So do I. I think we will see them improve enough that we won't regret passing on McCoy. Now if we were talking about a NT...

Chaka 06-05-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 121589)

Simply put, the cap is the maximum a team can spend on players in a given year. However, the NFL’s cap has several features that allows teams to manipulate it to fit their needs and strategy. One of those features pertinent to this discussion is the ability to roll unused cap space forward into future years. This feature is absolutely central to Ballard’s strategy.

Ballard’s master plan, as he’s stated repeatedly, is to build a core of homegrown players that can serve as the long-term nucleus of a Colt dynasty. This strategy relies upon drafting well, and then keeping the players that you’ve drafted into second and even third contracts.

Ballard appears to have drafted well, and seems to have several of his planned core players already in place (Luck, Nelson, Kelly, Leonard, etc.). With the exception of Luck, most of these guys are on their rookie contracts, and are thus being paid well under their market value. To keep this core together long term, Ballard knows that he will eventually need to pay these guys full market value when their rookie contracts expire. However, the cap provides an upper limit of how many of these guys you can pay in a given season, which for many teams would mean they’ll have to let a few of these guys go.

Ballard doesn’t want to do that, so rather than blowing his available cap space now on older luxury players like McCoy, Suh, etc., he’s conserving his cap space to push it forward so he’ll have extra money available to pay the Nelsons and Leonards of the world when they can become free agents. This will allow him to keep the core together and to outspend other teams in later years when that cap space will be desperately needed. It also serves the duel purpose of fostering a competitive atmosphere among the existing younger players, who know that if they perform they can earn a starting spot because they aren’t blocked by one-year veteran rentals.

This is a long term plan, and it takes courage to implement because the strategy creates irritation among the fan base, as it seems to have done here, because it seems frustrating to leave giant chunks of cap space unspent and to miss but on the opportunity to “upgrade” with big name veteran free agents. But as history has shown, those type of upgrades are expensive and rarely play to the level expected (recall that Ballard has repeatedly called free agency “fool’s gold”).

So, to answer your question (at last!), it's not only a question of signing McCoy vs. playing the incumbent, but rather a question of signing McCoy now at the risk of not having all the funds necessary to keep one of the Colts free agents in 2021 or 2022.