ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts Acquire DT DeForest Buckner (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97789)

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 03-16-2020 04:04 PM

Colts Acquire DT DeForest Buckner

No longer have to worry about who the Colts will draft at 13.......I guess Ballard loves DT's more than his draft picks.

Pick 13 for DeForest Buckner.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...43423256317957

Quote:

Trade AND deal: Colts trade first-round pick (13th overall) to 49ers for All-Pro DT DeForest Buckner, who already has agreed to a massive contract that pays him $21 million a year and makes him the second-highest paid DT in NFL history behind only Aaron Donald, sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...45870016077825

Quote:

Can confirm the Colts traded a first-round pick for DeForest Buckner, per source. 5-year deal at $21 million per year.
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1239643991731318786

Quote:

Been saying for weeks the Colts have been targeting the defensive line. This is a BIG move that means the Colts likely won't have a shot at one of the top QBs in April's draft.
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1239644357776588801

Quote:

Timely quote from Colts GM Chris Ballard, just a month ago: "I’m always going to be obsessed with the (defensive) front. I just believe that that’s how you win and that’s how you have sustained success over time."
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1239645036884758529

Quote:

"The 3-technique drives this thing. It does. Every time I've been a part of this (defense), the 3-technique drives this." — Chris Ballard in January
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...47501055123459

Quote:

Add a Buckner to this defensive line, and everybody gets better. Everybody. It's easier for edge rushers to get home when there's no place to escape to.

Chaka 03-16-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 156208)
No longer have to worry about who the Colts will draft at 13.......

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...43423256317957

Now THAT is a big move. Former 2016 1st Round (7th overall pick) out of Oregon. Will be 26 tomorrow. Here's a brief summary from http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nfl/player/21039:

"A monster inside: collapses the middle for copious sacks, and is prolific for a D-lineman making tackles. A towering talent on the D-line: jumbo-sized, yet also quick and explosively athletic. Has a truly elite wingspan with huge hands, and uses those gifts to really manhandle opponents. Knows how to get inside blockers and will move his man around. Must learn to play with more leverage and balance to get the most from his amazing size and athleticism. Gets stood up at times by mauling blockers, and sometimes gets off his feet two quickly reaching for tackles. A bit of a late bloomer who's still learning to maximize his gifts."

Racehorse 03-16-2020 04:15 PM

I love it!

rm1369 03-16-2020 04:18 PM

Not sure how I feel about this. I don’t typically like giving up a high pick and immediately having to pay a guy top money. I’m not sure they wouldn’t have been better off in the long run taking a DT in the draft with one of the top two pics. Damn good player though.

Chaka 03-16-2020 04:19 PM

Obviously Ballard not sold the QBs - at least at 13 - but I suppose he could always trade back into Round 1 with our seconds.

Luck4Reich 03-16-2020 04:21 PM

Pick up a couple more strong Defensive players in draft and this is a very good Defense.

Will be interesting to see what Ballard does with the pair of 2nd rounders now.

JAFF 03-16-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156219)
Not sure how I feel about this. I don’t typically like giving up a high pick and immediately having to pay a guy top money. I’m not sure they wouldn’t have been better off in the long run taking a DT in the draft with one of the top two pics. Damn good player though.

How did the Colts do with Booger McFarland?

apballin 03-16-2020 04:30 PM

Monster and is already established as opposed to an unproven guy at 13

Luck4Reich 03-16-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156222)

Slow down...... We had Peyton Manning too.

Ballard might be ready to roll the dice this year. He HAS to add a QB and I'm sure he knows this. Colts Defense just got better while the Texans offense took a huge blow.

Dam8610 03-16-2020 04:34 PM

I hope this doesn't mean Ballard is going to give Rivers a blank check. I hope this does mean Ballard is pursuing Bridgewater.

Chaka 03-16-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156219)

Agreed - we paid a lot for him and a risky move. In comparison to the Hopkins trade earlier, looks like a comparative overpay BUT we are getting a premium guy coming into his prime, so these guys rarely available via trade and never available in free agency. No other way to get him if you believe he's an Aaron Donald-caliber player (also, I'd like to see the terms of the $21M/year contract). But still, no doubt a bold and risky move.

jasperhobbs 03-16-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 156228)
Agreed - we paid a lot for him and a risky move. In comparison to the Hopkins trade earlier, looks like a comparative overpay BUT we are getting a premium guy coming into his prime, so these guys rarely available via trade and never available in free agency. No other way to get him if you believe he's an Aaron Donald-caliber player (also, I'd like to see the terms of the $21M/year contract). But still, no doubt a bold and risky move.

I don't see the risk. No guarantee the 13th pick will even pan out. Also, the guy you want at #13 might not even be there. The colts haven't been able to stop the run up the middle or collapse the pocket with an interior pass rush in a quite a while. Now they have a young, proven player.

rm1369 03-16-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156222)

Huh? Considerably different situations.

And I’m not hugely down on the trade. I can see the logic and the talent, but I certainly have concerns. Namely the cost of such a high pick AND a $21 / yr contract. Surprisingly this looks like win now mode to me. This a sign it is Rivers?

rcubed 03-16-2020 04:44 PM

Quick thought - I like the trade. I was thinking Kinlaw at 13 but there was no guarantee he would be there or become what we would expect. We get a proven guy in his prime years at a spot that was sorely needed.

rcubed 03-16-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156230)

And I’m not hugely down on the trade. I can see the logic and the talent, but I certainly have concerns. Namely the cost of such a high pick AND a $21 / yr contract. Surprisingly this looks like win now mode to me. This a sign it is Rivers?

If they sign rivers, then ok. But I hope its for 2 or less years and doesnt break the bank.

rm1369 03-16-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 156228)

Definitely can’t use the Hopkins trade as a comparison - that was just plain robbery. I think it’s fair from a talent perspective, I’m just surprised they made the move now, I guess.

Chaka 03-16-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperhobbs (Post 156229)
I don't see the risk. No guarantee the 13th pick will even pan out. Also, the guy you want at #13 might not even be there.

It's risky for the reasons RM1369 said - we are giving up a first and paying the guy full market rates. And we don't know him as well as we know our own free agents, so that's a bit of a wild card as well, not to mention the fact that you never know how a guy will react to receiving this kind of money. So I think it's risky for a lot of reasons.

JAFF 03-16-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 156234)
It's risky for the reasons RM1369 said - we are giving up a first and paying the guy full market rates. And we don't know him as well as we know our own free agents, so that's a bit of a wild card as well, not to mention the fact that you never know how a guy will react to receiving this kind of money. So I think it's risky for a lot of reasons.

The cap will go up. They have room for $$ and a QB maybe next year?

jasperhobbs 03-16-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Which free agents on defense the colts have are worth resigning?

Chromeburn 03-16-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 156227)
I hope this doesn't mean Ballard is going to give Rivers a blank check. I hope this does mean Ballard is pursuing Bridgewater.

Rivers only wants to play for two more years. We will still have to find a QB. Rivers is a stopgap.

Chaka 03-16-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperhobbs (Post 156246)
Which free agents on defense the colts have are worth resigning?

Not my point - only saying that when you sign one of your own free agents to a big contract, at least you have the security of knowing the player well. When you trade for someone else's player and then pay him big bucks, there's an added element of risk because you just don't know other teams' players as well as your own.

Ironshaft 03-16-2020 05:07 PM

I think we overpaid but he is a heck of a talent.

Him, Houston, Autry and Turay/Banagu on passing downs couls be pretty good.

3-tech powers this defense and we now have a 3-tech of note.

Hope we have space for D.J. Reader or Javon Hargrave for NT.

rm1369 03-16-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 156250)
Not my point - only saying that when you sign one of your own free agents to a big contract, at least you have the security of knowing the player well. When you trade for someone else's player and then pay him big bucks, there's an added element of risk because you just don't know other teams' players as well as your own.

Exactly. And how well they fit and produce in your scheme. I don’t think there is much doubt Buckner will be the best DT on the Colts roster and an improvement, but will he still be All Pro level with the changes? It’s one of the major reasons free agency is so risky - so much in the NFL depends on scheme and the players around you. This is riskier than a big FA signing because not only did Buckner get paid, the team gave up the 13th pick in the draft. It’s a huge risk, for admittedly a hugely talented player at a position of need. Still a huge risk though.

For the record, I’m not saying Buckner was a product of the system or anything. Just pointing out the concern with projecting other teams players.

Puck 03-16-2020 05:16 PM

I freakin love this trade!!!!! Love it!!!!!

How long have we waited for Ballard to make a big move? Well 3 yrs... SO How long have we waited to have a dominate 3tech?

Maniac 03-16-2020 05:17 PM

Woah, ok. Didn't see that one coming. Fills a huge need.

Chromeburn 03-16-2020 05:18 PM

I don't know. There are some good players in this draft and 13 is a damn high pick. Plus Buckner plays on the best d-line in the league. He will not have that in Indy. We just made him the second highest DT in the league. Here are his stats compared to Donald.

Donald

Buckner

I guess its a risk no matter the path you take and we needed a dominate DT to make this defense function. Still hate giving up that high of a pick.

YDFL Commish 03-16-2020 05:19 PM

From Margus Hunt to Buckner. What an improvement.:) I can see Buckner playing both NT and UT sharing time with Autry and Stewart.

Tyquan Lewis is now on thin ice.

Brylok 03-16-2020 05:23 PM

Busy, busy, day at work so I just saw this news. I absolutely love it! We got a damned pass-rusher!! Dude is a beast as well! $21M is expensive but hell, the broken running back Houston just got for Hopkins is making $14M. Salaries are just going to keep going up. Master stroke by Ballard if it works out. Fills a desperate need and puts to bed the "who to draft at 13" talk. He's gonna sell some jerseys, too. Awesome!

Dam8610 03-16-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 156249)
Rivers only wants to play for two more years. We will still have to find a QB. Rivers is a stopgap.

I don't want Rivers and Bridgewater could be more than a stopgap. You're forcing yourself into a box of having to acquire a new QB in that two year timeframe if you go with Rivers. I'd be tempted to go with Winston over Rivers for that exact reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 156257)
I don't know. There are some good players in this draft and 13 is a damn high pick. Plus Buckner plays on the best d-line in the league. He will not have that in Indy. We just made him the second highest DT in the league. Here are his stats compared to Donald.

Donald

Buckner

I guess its a risk no matter the path you take and we needed a dominate DT to make this defense function. Still hate giving up that high of a pick.

Donald's age 23-25 seasons look pretty comparable to Buckner's. We can only hope that Buckner's age 26-28 seasons go as well. I agree that the pick was high, hopefully the payoff is as well.

YDFL Commish 03-16-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 156267)
I'd be tempted to go with Winston over Rivers for that exact reason

Possibly the most stupid statement ever made on this forum!

CanuckColt 03-16-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 156227)

NO!!! to Bridgewater. YUCK! Worse than Jake Brisket.

Dam8610 03-16-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 156294)
Possibly the most stupid statement ever made on this forum!

It's stupid to think Winston could resurrect his career under the tutelage of Frank Reich when we just watched Ryan Tannehill do exactly this under the tutelage of Mike Vrabel? It's a better gamble than "hope Rivers can stave off decline for 2 years, then be back in the exact same position".

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckColt (Post 156295)
NO!!! to Bridgewater. YUCK! Worse than Jake Brisket.

Interesting emotional reaction, any data or facts to support it?

JAFF 03-16-2020 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156230)

Different? He comes in mid season and teams cant run up the middle and they got push up the middle on pass rush

JAFF 03-16-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

We know hes better than any other DT on the team

rm1369 03-16-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156307)
Different? He comes in mid season and teams cant run up the middle and they got push up the middle on pass rush

I guess you are right they are exactly the same. Colts are destined to win the SB this year. Suck’s that Buckner’s career will basically end in 2021 due to injury. But I guess a SB is worth it. Not sure how I could miss how similar the situations are.

JAFF 03-16-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156319)
I guess you are right they are exactly the same. Colts are destined to win the SB this year. Suck’s that Buckner’s career will basically end in 2021 due to injury. But I guess a SB is worth it. Not sure how I could miss how similar the situations are.

Or it could just be hes better than anyone in the draft, they have the money, and it fills a need. Booger made the D better. So will this guy.

Luck4Reich 03-16-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156320)
Or it could just be hes better than anyone in the draft, they have the money, and it fills a need. Booger made the D better. So will this guy.

I believe that defense gave up more rushing yards per game after the acquisition of Booger. One person made that Defense better....... his name was Bob Sanders.

rm1369 03-16-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156320)

Jesus man, I get it you like the trade. But stop with the McFarland trade comparison - there is damn near nothing similar except they both play DT. Other than position it’s completely different players and completely different situations.

As far as making the D better, I don’t think there is anyone on the planet that would disagree with that. It’s simply a matter of degree and cost. I personally don’t hate the trade. I don’t think it was ridiculous, Buckner is a hell of a player. But there is a significant amount of risk with the trade too.

Luck4Reich 03-16-2020 09:32 PM

Not to mention the game the Jags gouged the Colts for 375 yards. Did Booger get hurt on the first play of that game or was he just bad that game. He started and didn’t record a single tackle. Most of the runs were right up the middle.

I’m glad we had Booger who did help our Defense, God knows it needed help.

But if not for Bob Sanders coming back like Superman Returns Colts don’t win that SB.

JAFF 03-16-2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156325)
Jesus man, I get it you like the trade. But stop with the McFarland trade comparison - there is damn near nothing similar except they both play DT. Other than position it’s completely different players and completely different situations.

As far as making the D better, I don’t think there is anyone on the planet that would disagree with that. It’s simply a matter of degree and cost. I personally don’t hate the trade. I don’t think it was ridiculous, Buckner is a hell of a player. But there is a significant amount of risk with the trade too.

Who cares about $$$. Its not your money. Theres a lot of cap space and Irsay has an extra guitar to sell if it gets tight