ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts Acquire DT DeForest Buckner (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97789)

Chaka 03-16-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperhobbs (Post 156246)
Which free agents on defense the colts have are worth resigning?

Not my point - only saying that when you sign one of your own free agents to a big contract, at least you have the security of knowing the player well. When you trade for someone else's player and then pay him big bucks, there's an added element of risk because you just don't know other teams' players as well as your own.

Ironshaft 03-16-2020 05:07 PM

I think we overpaid but he is a heck of a talent.

Him, Houston, Autry and Turay/Banagu on passing downs couls be pretty good.

3-tech powers this defense and we now have a 3-tech of note.

Hope we have space for D.J. Reader or Javon Hargrave for NT.

rm1369 03-16-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 156250)
Not my point - only saying that when you sign one of your own free agents to a big contract, at least you have the security of knowing the player well. When you trade for someone else's player and then pay him big bucks, there's an added element of risk because you just don't know other teams' players as well as your own.

Exactly. And how well they fit and produce in your scheme. I don’t think there is much doubt Buckner will be the best DT on the Colts roster and an improvement, but will he still be All Pro level with the changes? It’s one of the major reasons free agency is so risky - so much in the NFL depends on scheme and the players around you. This is riskier than a big FA signing because not only did Buckner get paid, the team gave up the 13th pick in the draft. It’s a huge risk, for admittedly a hugely talented player at a position of need. Still a huge risk though.

For the record, I’m not saying Buckner was a product of the system or anything. Just pointing out the concern with projecting other teams players.

Puck 03-16-2020 05:16 PM

I freakin love this trade!!!!! Love it!!!!!

How long have we waited for Ballard to make a big move? Well 3 yrs... SO How long have we waited to have a dominate 3tech?

Maniac 03-16-2020 05:17 PM

Woah, ok. Didn't see that one coming. Fills a huge need.

Chromeburn 03-16-2020 05:18 PM

I don't know. There are some good players in this draft and 13 is a damn high pick. Plus Buckner plays on the best d-line in the league. He will not have that in Indy. We just made him the second highest DT in the league. Here are his stats compared to Donald.

Donald

Buckner

I guess its a risk no matter the path you take and we needed a dominate DT to make this defense function. Still hate giving up that high of a pick.

YDFL Commish 03-16-2020 05:19 PM

From Margus Hunt to Buckner. What an improvement.:) I can see Buckner playing both NT and UT sharing time with Autry and Stewart.

Tyquan Lewis is now on thin ice.

Brylok 03-16-2020 05:23 PM

Busy, busy, day at work so I just saw this news. I absolutely love it! We got a damned pass-rusher!! Dude is a beast as well! $21M is expensive but hell, the broken running back Houston just got for Hopkins is making $14M. Salaries are just going to keep going up. Master stroke by Ballard if it works out. Fills a desperate need and puts to bed the "who to draft at 13" talk. He's gonna sell some jerseys, too. Awesome!

Dam8610 03-16-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 156249)
Rivers only wants to play for two more years. We will still have to find a QB. Rivers is a stopgap.

I don't want Rivers and Bridgewater could be more than a stopgap. You're forcing yourself into a box of having to acquire a new QB in that two year timeframe if you go with Rivers. I'd be tempted to go with Winston over Rivers for that exact reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 156257)
I don't know. There are some good players in this draft and 13 is a damn high pick. Plus Buckner plays on the best d-line in the league. He will not have that in Indy. We just made him the second highest DT in the league. Here are his stats compared to Donald.

Donald

Buckner

I guess its a risk no matter the path you take and we needed a dominate DT to make this defense function. Still hate giving up that high of a pick.

Donald's age 23-25 seasons look pretty comparable to Buckner's. We can only hope that Buckner's age 26-28 seasons go as well. I agree that the pick was high, hopefully the payoff is as well.

YDFL Commish 03-16-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 156267)
I'd be tempted to go with Winston over Rivers for that exact reason

Possibly the most stupid statement ever made on this forum!