ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dee Ford (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65565)

JMichael557 01-14-2019 11:35 AM

Dee Ford

It was just reported that KC will not use the Franchise Tag on Dee Ford and will allow him to hit the open Market. How much should be pay? The Franchise Tag is 15 million.

FatDT 01-14-2019 11:54 AM

Does he fit the Demarcus Lawrence role in this defense? They're of similar size, but Ford has been playing Bob Sutton 3-4 OLB.

Ballard should know him well, as I assume he scouted Ford and watched him for three years in KC. Seems weird they would not want to pay him.

Dam8610 01-14-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 106654)
Does he fit the Demarcus Lawrence role in this defense? They're of similar size, but Ford has been playing Bob Sutton 3-4 OLB.

Ballard should know him well, as I assume he scouted Ford and watched him for three years in KC. Seems weird they would not want to pay him.

He's definitely a guy to look at as a pass rusher for the Colts, along with Frank Clark. Signing both would be interesting and reminiscent of the 2013 Seattle Seahawks, who went out and signed the top two pass rushers in free agency (Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril) and combined that with a young, up and coming back seven group to make one of the most formidable defenses in the league for a long time. Ford would fit the speed rusher role in this defense, and Clark would fit the power end/pass down UT at times role in this defense. That would also allow Ballard to focus on BPA in the draft, at a cost only of money and cap space, resources which the Colts have plenty. I hope that that is the offseason plan, short of Demarcus Lawrence hitting free agency.

FatDT 01-14-2019 12:57 PM

Frank Clark is a piece of shit and should not be a Colt.

Here he is tracking down and sucker-punching his teammate in TC.

Here he is forearming a player in the throat after the whistle.

Here's the account of how he got drunk and beat up his college girlfriend in a hotel room. He was kicked off the Michigan football team.

Talented player but I don't think he fits this team.

GoBigBlue88 01-14-2019 01:14 PM

Yeah, fuck Frank Clark to be clear.

rcubed 01-14-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 106654)
Seems weird they would not want to pay him.

maybe they just dont want to pay him tag money.

Pez 01-14-2019 01:50 PM

Maybe also they think they have other needs to be addressed and would look to get a compensatory pick for him perhaps.

sherck 01-14-2019 02:17 PM

2019 Free Agents / Edge Defenders:

43 combined = 13 sacks / 30 QB Hits, 55 tackles, 28 years old = OLB Dee Ford / KC / 3-4 OLB
41 combined = 14 sacks / 27 QB Hits, 42 tackles, 26 years old = DE Frank Clark / SEA / 4-3 DE
35 combined = 11 sacks / 24 QB Hits, 64 tackles, 27 years old = DE DeMarcus Lawrence / DAL / 4-3 DE
33 combined = 09 sacks / 24 QB Hits, 45 tackles, 26 years old = OLB Za'Darius Smith / BAL / 3-4 OLB
30 combined = 09 sacks / 21 QB Hits, 47 tackles, 26 years old = OLB Jadeveon Clowney / HOU / 3-4 OLB
20 combined = 04 sacks / 16 QB Hits, 52 tackles, 26 years old = OLB Preston Smith / WAS / 3-4 OLB

Those seem to be the cream of the crop when it comes to 4-3 rush DEs or 3-4 rush OLBs.

There are a lot of 3-4 DEs that had good production in 2018 (Trey Flowers/NE, Henry Anderson/NYJ, Brandon Copeland/NYJ, Benson Mayowa/ARI) but while we might be interested in signing those guys as interior defenders, I don't know how well their pass rush matches up when moving inside.

Unless Lawarence hits the market, we could do a lot worse than Dee Ford. He seems to be trending up:

2018 = 55 tackles / 13 sacks / 29 QB Hits / 13 TFL / 7 FF (5th year option)
2017 = On IR after only 6 games (4th year in league)
2016 = 38 tackles / 10 sacks / 17 QB Hits / 12 TFL / 1 FF (3rd year in league)

I like the idea of adding him to Sheard / Turray / Muhammad and then drafting one more kid high into the group (1st or 2nd round) for competition. See what shakes out.

Walk Worthy,

FatDT 01-14-2019 03:16 PM

Trey Flowers is a 4-3 DE. The NE defense is kind of its own thing though so while he seems like a good player I can't hazard a guess as to if he'd do well in the prime pass rusher role here. Chandler Jones was up-and-down on pass rushing in NE, but has been a terror since going to AZ.

I wonder about maybe trying Anthony Barr. He was a high-end edge rush prospect in the draft, picked by the Vikings, but he's been playing 4-3 OLB. No surprise, his pass rush production hasn't been that great. He would not cost much and might have a lot of upside as a 4-3 DE.

Za'Darius Smith is PFF's "most-underrated FA". We signed a PFF "secret superstar" in Samson Satele years ago. So clearly Smith is going to suck and we should not sign him. Yes I know my analysis is fantastic.

David Irving will be cheap and has played well in the Dallas defense. Solid chance he will get busted again for pot and get suspended, so no big investment is likely there.

Ezekiel Ansah is a FA but is 30 and has been hurt a lot.

Brandon Graham is 31 and is good but not great.

So. It doesn't seem like it gets much better than Dee Ford in FA.

Chromeburn 01-14-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 106704)
Trey Flowers is a 4-3 DE. The NE defense is kind of its own thing though so while he seems like a good player I can't hazard a guess as to if he'd do well in the prime pass rusher role here. Chandler Jones was up-and-down on pass rushing in NE, but has been a terror since going to AZ.

I wonder about maybe trying Anthony Barr. He was a high-end edge rush prospect in the draft, picked by the Vikings, but he's been playing 4-3 OLB. No surprise, his pass rush production hasn't been that great. He would not cost much and might have a lot of upside as a 4-3 DE.

Za'Darius Smith is PFF's "most-underrated FA". We signed a PFF "secret superstar" in Samson Satele years ago. So clearly Smith is going to suck and we should not sign him. Yes I know my analysis is fantastic.

David Irving will be cheap and has played well in the Dallas defense. Solid chance he will get busted again for pot and get suspended, so no big investment is likely there.

Ezekiel Ansah is a FA but is 30 and has been hurt a lot.

Brandon Graham is 31 and is good but not great.

So. It doesn't seem like it gets much better than Dee Ford in FA.

Yeah, those PFF ratings I take with a major grain of salt.

Here were their rankings for the linebackers in the 2018 draft. Notice where Leonard is in those rankings.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...2018-nfl-draft