ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Orlando Brown? (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118127)

Puck 02-10-2021 03:14 PM

Orlando Brown?

https://www.nfl.com/news/orlando-bro...nts-to-play-lt

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimor...rown-jr-25182/

Ironshaft 02-10-2021 03:43 PM

Ummm...sure. But at what price?

He is ascending and looks to be about as sure fire thing out there to lock down LT for a good long while.

But what would BAL want from a team in order to trade him? I am not sure our 21st pick alone would do it.

Chromeburn 02-10-2021 05:43 PM

Might want to see if one of our own players can fill LT first. If they can, we can draft a G or RT later. I like Bradon Smith's chances. Remember, he graded out as even more athletic than Nelson. But it isn't a simple position switch. Basically, you learn to do everything backwards than you currently know how.

Also, this is a pretty good tackle draft

rcubed 02-10-2021 06:05 PM

Yeah if smith could move over effectively i would prefer that over nelson, then get a new rt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMugwump 02-10-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 186736)
Yeah if smith could move over effectively i would prefer that over nelson, then get a new rt.

Smith would stay at RT and Brown would be LT. That is the reason he wants a trade, because Baltimore moved him to the right side.

Or I may be misunderstanding your post. I do that occasionally.

rcubed 02-10-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMugwump (Post 186743)
Smith would stay at RT and Brown would be LT. That is the reason he wants a trade, because Baltimore moved him to the right side.

Or I may be misunderstanding your post. I do that occasionally.

Ha, no worries I do the same. I was referring to the previous post about using our own players. Yes, if we were to trade for an established LT then we wouldnt need any further movement.

YDFL Commish 02-10-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 186731)
Might want to see if one of our own players can fill LT first. If they can, we can draft a G or RT later. I like Bradon Smith's chances. Remember, he graded out as even more athletic than Nelson. But it isn't a simple position switch. Basically, you learn to do everything backwards than you currently know how.

Also, this is a pretty good tackle draft

Yes, this is potentially s good tackle draft. It's up to Ballard to grade out whether or not Brown is better than tackles in the draft.

Chromeburn 02-10-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 186754)
Yes, this is potentially s good tackle draft. It's up to Ballard to grade out whether or not Brown is better than tackles in the draft.

I was kinda hoping for Darrisaw

Dam8610 02-11-2021 12:56 AM

Sure if the price is right.

Oldcolt 02-11-2021 10:38 AM

No. This team has shown that it knows how to work with and develop offensive lineman. Draft Castanzo's replacement. Get him on a five year rookie deal. If we want to go a veteran route I would prefer a two-three year deal on someone like Williams. We can take the cap hit this year, the contract can be done so that the last year isn't a huge hit and it stabilizes our line now. Still prefer we draft and develop our own.

YDFL Commish 02-11-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 186778)
No. This team has shown that it knows how to work with and develop offensive lineman. Draft Castanzo's replacement. Get him on a five year rookie deal. If we want to go a veteran route I would prefer a two-three year deal on someone like Williams. We can take the cap hit this year, the contract can be done so that the last year isn't a huge hit and it stabilizes our line now. Still prefer we draft and develop our own.

Orlando Brown is still on his rookie deal and is only 24 years old. He is a proven 6' 8" 340 lb. proven commodity. Also with only one more year on his rookie deal, we lose nothing by letting him test free agency if he doesn't pan out.

I'm not against drafting a LT in parallel with a Brown trade, in fact I think it would be a wise move in a deep LT draft.

With that said, I'm not giving up our #1 for him.

TheMugwump 02-11-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 186757)
I was kinda hoping for Darrisaw

If we can get him, we'll be set on the left side for a decade.

omahacolt 02-11-2021 09:29 PM

I don’t like what we would have to give up for him

Oldcolt 02-12-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 186830)
I don’t like what we would have to give up for him

The Ravens expect a #1 plus. Brown would then be in line for a huge extension. Ballard knows how to draft and this coaching staff has proved they can develop lineman. Big paydays for a bunch of lineman loom.

Lawrence Owen 02-12-2021 07:22 PM

He'd be a cheap option for tackle for this year. But then he'd need to be resigned, along with Smith and Nelson. That would make the Colts O-line the most expensive in the NFL.
It would also make that o-line ridiculously good, but come at a price with the rest of the team.

Chromeburn 02-13-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence Owen (Post 186891)
He'd be a cheap option for tackle for this year. But then he'd need to be resigned, along with Smith and Nelson. That would make the Colts O-line the most expensive in the NFL.
It would also make that o-line ridiculously good, but come at a price with the rest of the team.

Well that was inevitably going to happen when you spend high round picks on the oline and dline. The money goes somewhere.

Chromeburn 02-15-2021 04:16 PM

I don't think we should go after him. Playing LT for other QB's is a little harder than for Jackson. There is a reason the two Raven's tackles had such a high rating.

D lines have to do bull rushes against Jackson in order to keep contain. If you break contain he is gone for a first down. So that played into Orlando Brown's strength who does best against bull rushes. Against less mobile QB's he will have to play against speed rushers and he will not do as well against them.

JAFF 02-15-2021 04:36 PM

The Colts could go find a quality RT in FA and move Smith to LT.

Coltsalr 02-15-2021 06:23 PM

If we had a franchise QB I would say “Hell yeah!”

Instead, since we decidedly don’t, we’re likely going to need the assets that we would trade for Orlando Brown in order to get our QB. Even if we only trade a 2nd for Wentz (for example), trading a 1 for Brown then essentially cancels our draft haul for 2021.

Dam8610 02-15-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 187013)
If we had a franchise QB I would say “Hell yeah!”

Instead, since we decidedly don’t, we’re likely going to need the assets that we would trade for Orlando Brown in order to get our QB. Even if we only trade a 2nd for Wentz (for example), trading a 1 for Brown then essentially cancels our draft haul for 2021.

If you asked any GM if they could get a franchise LT and QB out of their first two picks in any given draft, would they be happy with that, any one that said no should be examined for serious mental health issues. It remains to be seen if that would be the case in that scenario, but the players wouldn't be available if some level of risk weren't involved.

Ironshaft 02-16-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 187023)
If you asked any GM if they could get a franchise LT and QB out of their first two picks in any given draft, would they be happy with that, any one that said no should be examined for serious mental health issues. It remains to be seen if that would be the case in that scenario, but the players wouldn't be available if some level of risk weren't involved.

Exactly.

Granted, Ballard is best when he has the pick in hand. His draft selections are just pure gold these past couple of years.

However, if you told him he could lock down two of the most important positions on an NFL team with KNOWN high-quality players (that is a projection on Wentz) instead of draftee hopefuls with his first 2 picks, he would do it every year.

JAFF 02-18-2021 11:24 AM

From PFT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ugh-for-colts/

Nelson has played tackle, I believe that was his first position at ND

Coltsalr 02-18-2021 12:54 PM

Now that the Colts have traded for Wentz using only their 2021 third...I would consider a 1st for Brown. We might very well be picking LT with our 1st round pick anyway!

omahacolt 02-19-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 187166)
Now that the Colts have traded for Wentz using only their 2021 third...I would consider a 1st for Brown. We might very well be picking LT with our 1st round pick anyway!

I disagree. Wouldn’t hate it but I say draft one . Benefit off the 1st round rookie contract. Unless pass rush is there which I doubt

Ironshaft 02-19-2021 12:32 PM

My top option would be to sign one of the 33 year old veteran free agent left tackles (Trent Williams, Russell Okung or Alejandro Villanueva) on a 2 or 3 year deal and then draft an offensive tackle (2nd round or 4th round pick) to play swing / depth for the next season or two prior to (hopefully) becoming the starter.

We need a quality 3rd OT on this team. Employing the likes of Will Holder or Carter O'Donnell in that role sends shivers up my spine.

Pinter appears to be solid as depth on the O-Line interior but we need someone who can provide that same depth at OT.

Oldcolt 02-19-2021 08:44 PM

I really like the idea of spending large on someone like Williams for 2-3 years and developing your next LT. Don’t think Ballard will do this as it goes counter to how he has done things so far. I have to believe that he has confidence in his ability (and the ability of his scouts to find and coaches to develop) to draft our next LT. I believe this is a big part of how he keeps this team financially so stable.

Dam8610 02-19-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 187308)
I disagree. Wouldn’t hate it but I say draft one . Benefit off the 1st round rookie contract. Unless pass rush is there which I doubt

Azeez Ojulari will likely be available at 21, but I'd rather have Orlando Brown Jr. Pass rush is more plentiful than LT in both the draft and free agency.

JAFF 02-20-2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 187364)
Azeez Ojulari will likely be available at 21, but I'd rather have Orlando Brown Jr. Pass rush is more plentiful than LT in both the draft and free agency.

They could move Smith over to LT, and find RT later in the draft

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...es/4029529001/

Racehorse 02-20-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 187370)

Sounds like his ability to keep his weight on one foot may be what prevents this from becoming a reality. He would have to do the opposite of what is natural.

JAFF 02-20-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 187372)
Sounds like his ability to keep his weight on one foot may be what prevents this from becoming a reality. He would have to do the opposite of what is natural.

Thats what you do at ota’s and camp and practice. The is nothing natural about run and pass blocking. This guys is an athlete, I’m betting he can be taught a new dance step

Dam8610 02-20-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 187370)

Why fix it if it's not broke? I don't like these ideas of moving Nelson or Smith, because you're potentially losing value on that player AND making the position they moved from worse. To me, if they don't trade for Brown Jr., unless you're absolutely in love with Liam Eichenberg or Dillon Radunz, investing the 21st pick into getting Christian Darrisaw or Rashawn Slater is going to be a necessity, even if that involves trading up to do it, and even if the team goes out and signs Trent Williams, Russell Okung, or Alejandro Villanueva. In any of those rookies, you get a rookie contract and a lot of uncertainty at the most important position on the OL. In any of those veterans, you get expensive certainty of average to above average play for next year with a strong possibility of near future decline. In trading the 21st pick for Brown Jr., you get certainty of above average to great play on the end of a rookie contract initially that will need to be extended on a team with among the highest level of cap room in the league, and if you extend, you get that certainty for at least the length of the extension, more likely around a decade. If any team is set up to benefit from the Brown Jr. situation, it's the Colts. Using the Buckner deal from last year as a basis, the 21st overall pick is fair value for Brown Jr. and if the Ravens are willing to take that for him, I think it's a deal that would make sense and be beneficial for both teams. It would also mean the Colts will need to find some edge rush production in free agency, but fortunately there are lots of options for that.

JAFF 02-20-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 187375)
Why fix it if it's not broke? I don't like these ideas of moving Nelson or Smith, because you're potentially losing value on that player AND making the position they moved from worse. To me, if they don't trade for Brown Jr., unless you're absolutely in love with Liam Eichenberg or Dillon Radunz, investing the 21st pick into getting Christian Darrisaw or Rashawn Slater is going to be a necessity, even if that involves trading up to do it, and even if the team goes out and signs Trent Williams, Russell Okung, or Alejandro Villanueva. In any of those rookies, you get a rookie contract and a lot of uncertainty at the most important position on the OL. In any of those veterans, you get expensive certainty of average to above average play for next year with a strong possibility of near future decline. In trading the 21st pick for Brown Jr., you get certainty of above average to great play on the end of a rookie contract initially that will need to be extended on a team with among the highest level of cap room in the league, and if you extend, you get that certainty for at least the length of the extension, more likely around a decade. If any team is set up to benefit from the Brown Jr. situation, it's the Colts. Using the Buckner deal from last year as a basis, the 21st overall pick is fair value for Brown Jr. and if the Ravens are willing to take that for him, I think it's a deal that would make sense and be beneficial for both teams. It would also mean the Colts will need to find some edge rush production in free agency, but fortunately there are lots of options for that.

Losing value on a player? No clue what that is about.

What I don’t understand is that you were arguing not to move Smith from right tackle to left tackle, but we should trade for a guy who has moved from right tackle to left tackle.

And if Smith can move it solves a lot of problems, and it would cost a whole hell of a lot less. Less money less draft picks given up, and again whatever that losing value on a player whatever the hell that means

Chaka 02-20-2021 11:39 AM

As a practical matter, its a question of affordability beyond the trade cost. We cannot afford Brown. He's going into the last year of his rookie deal and, simply put, will need to be paid top dollar or he will leave. We also have Darius Leonard's and Braden Smith's second contract coming due at the same time. And maybe Nelson's, though he could theoretically be put off a year with the 5th year option (still at a premium price though). Don't forget we just made Kelly the highest paid center too, and Glowinski's three-year deal will be expiring as well.

Something has to give. The Colts are going to have to make some hard decisions soon. My guess is that Leonard and Nelson absolutely stay, Smith probably stays, and Glowinski is a goner. But the solution is not to add another premium contract on the OL, particularly one from another organization. We need to find a young, cheap player at LT, so the draft is the way to go.

TheMugwump 02-20-2021 02:24 PM

Darrisaw from Virginia Tech, at #21, and placed next to and learning from Nelson, would settle the issue.

Brown is a pipe dream. There is a reason that Baltimore moved him from LT to RT, he was helped a lot by Jackson's ridiculous athletic ability to escape, and yeah, he will be expecting big, big money when his rookie deal expires.

Pass. Get a rookie. This is supposed to be a strong draft for tackles, so now's the time.

Oldcolt 02-20-2021 02:40 PM

Agree totally with Chaka on this. We can’t afford to pay, long term anyway-might make sense for a couple of years-for a premium LT without compromising another part of line. Ballard can draft. The coaching staff can coach. The draft is the way forward.

Chaka 02-20-2021 03:09 PM

Here's a little bit of an outside-the-box thought: what about trading Braden Smith at this point? Would he be worth the same or more than Brown?

The good: I don't think his value has ever been higher, and the seed has been planted that he might be able/is open to moving to LT. He's also a year out from a very large contract, and while I think we'd keep him, I'm not sure and Ballard can be pretty ruthless in his cap management. This would of course help alleviate a future cap logjam, and if we are uncertain we will keep him past 2021 then this would ensure we would at least get something in return.

The bad: I realize that this weakens an already weakened OL, and I know most OL coaches highly value continuity in this area. Not sure we have anyone on the roster right now who could fill in adequately, so the plan would have to be to draft his replacement this offseason. If a little development time is needed we would need to pick up a serviceable vet replacement on a one-year contract.

Anyway, I realize it's not ideal, but the earlier post got me thinking about how we are going to be able manage all these players under the cap in the coming years, and what kind of hard decisions will need to be made (and when it is best to make them).

JAFF 02-20-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 187387)
Here's a little bit of an outside-the-box thought: what about trading Braden Smith at this point? Would he be worth the same or more than Brown?

The good: I don't think his value has ever been higher, and the seed has been planted that he might be able/is open to moving to LT. He's also a year out from a very large contract, and while I think we'd keep him, I'm not sure and Ballard can be pretty ruthless in his cap management. This would of course help alleviate a future cap logjam, and if we are uncertain we will keep him past 2021 then this would ensure we would at least get something in return.

The bad: I realize that this weakens an already weakened OL, and I know most OL coaches highly value continuity in this area. Not sure we have anyone on the roster right now who could fill in adequately, so the plan would have to be to draft his replacement this offseason. If a little development time is needed we would need to pick up a serviceable vet replacement on a one-year contract.

Anyway, I realize it's not ideal, but the earlier post got me thinking about how we are going to be able manage all these players under the cap in the coming years, and what kind of hard decisions will need to be made (and when it is best to make them).

NO!

Oldcolt 02-20-2021 03:17 PM

Trading Smith is not something I would want to do. I remember how difficult it was to find a decent RT. We are set there for the next 8-10 years barring injury. What really tips me to not trading is the confidence I have in this team’s drafting ability. I would suppose it would depend on the evaluation they have given to the LT prospects in the draft.

rcubed 02-20-2021 05:40 PM

No trading smith.

omahacolt 02-21-2021 11:26 AM

Definitely not trading Braden.